Napoleon Bonaparte born in USA

Suppose Napoleon's father decided he could not make a living in Corsica and decided to immigrate to the US. Thus, Napoleon is born an American.

What would Napoleon's life be like as a result?

bard32

Banned
Napoleon Bonaparte for President. :D Seriously, if Napoleon was born here,
he wouldn't have been a threat to Britain and the rest of Europe.

If he tries for life as a seaman, will he get enlisted in the RN?

If, will he end up serving under Nelson?

bard32

Banned
If he tries for life as a seaman, will he get enlisted in the RN?

If, will he end up serving under Nelson?

He'd probably end up being taken by the Impress Service. Remember at this
time, the Royal Navy was always chronically short of men.

Suppose Napoleon's father decided he could not make a living in Corsica and decided to immigrate to the US. Thus, Napoleon is born an American.

What would Napoleon's life be like as a result?

Napoleon was born before the US was. He'd be born in British North America, and would be only a child when the ARW started.

I can see him a officer in the young US military as he develops his skills as an artillery man. Then when a war happens he shows his great military skill, and moves up into rank to general in the army. If the War of 1812 still happens, I can see a situation where he would lead a successful invasion of Canada, while Jackson still fights out west.

I can see him a officer in the young US military as he develops his skills as an artillery man. Then when a war happens he shows his great military skill, and moves up into rank to general in the army. If the War of 1812 still happens, I can see a situation where he would lead a successful invasion of Canada, while Jackson still fights out west.

War of 1812 wouldn't happen in a recognizable form. No Napoleon in France means vastly different Revolutionary Wars, which means by 1812 Britain may not be in the position where it has to pick a war with the US.

Hendryk

Banned
He becomes a tobacco farmer in Virginia, moves to Tennesse later in life, and dies of old age in 1843.

Really, these "So-and-so is born in such country" WIs are boring. Human beings are a product of their socio-cultural environment. Change it, and the figure you're speculating about becomes an entirely different person.

He becomes a tobacco farmer in Virginia, moves to Tennesse later in life, and dies of old age in 1843.

Really, these "So-and-so is born in such country" WIs are boring. Human beings are a product of their socio-cultural environment. Change it, and the figure you're speculating about becomes an entirely different person.

right on

how bout this...his father settles in louisianna becomeing a succesful plantation owner but sends his son to france to train as a military officer and gain contacts....wiff of grapeshot happens and events mirroring otl with a navel twist...eventual he becomes leader of france....no louisianna purchase though...why would he want to sell his home? and much much greater empthazes on navel power and oversea's warfare...no european rampags...except possible spain

bard32

Banned
IOTL, yes, he would. However, if you want ATL, and he was born in say, 1759,
for example, he'd be a teenager when the American Revolution breaks out.
If he was born in 1749, he'd be the age, and in either case, he'd be in the Continental Army, and probably serving under Henry Knox.

bard32

Banned
IOTL, yes, he would. However, if you want ATL, and he was born in say, 1759,
for example, he'd be a teenager when the American Revolution breaks out.
If he was born in 1749, he'd be the same age, and in either case, he'd be in the Continental Army, and probably serving under Henry Knox.

IOTL, yes, he would. However, if you want ATL, and he was born in say, 1759.

This means that he isn't Napoleon Bonaparte.

Mr and Mrs Buonaparte may call their son born in 1759 'Napoleon', but he isn't our Napoleon.

Even were he to grow up in the same place, he'd be different. His brother Joseph wasn't the same as Napoleon, and likewise, nor will this ATL Napoleon.

Add the fact that he will have a markedly different upbringing, and the man we know simply does not exist.

Edit: This would also require a nine year old mother and 13 year old father, thus there cannot be any Bonaparte born in 1759.

War of 1812 wouldn't happen in a recognizable form. No Napoleon in France means vastly different Revolutionary Wars, which means by 1812 Britain may not be in the position where it has to pick a war with the US.

True that is why, I put if. The group which put Napoleon in power were looking for someone who could rally their nation. I am sure they would of still would of taken down the government, and then who they would of found would of determined whether or not the war goes the same way or even close to the same way. Also remember the early revolutionary battles went to France, and countries like Prussia are still at a disadvantage while their selection style for the leadership spots. Also the policy of Britain and France Navies was to force Americans into service. Who knows, maybe the US goes to war with France in this world.

Plus even if the US doesn't go to war against Britain, I am sure they would of gone to war against someone.

I read an AH short story (the name of which escapes me) in which Napoleon is born 30 years earlier and without the opportunities afforded by the Revolution ends up dying in obscurity, never having achieved anything except publishing a largely unread treatise on improved used of artillery...

Bruce

bard32

Banned
This means that he isn't Napoleon Bonaparte.

Mr and Mrs Buonaparte may call their son born in 1759 'Napoleon', but he isn't our Napoleon.

Even were he to grow up in the same place, he'd be different. His brother Joseph wasn't the same as Napoleon, and likewise, nor will this ATL Napoleon.

Add the fact that he will have a markedly different upbringing, and the man we know simply does not exist.

Edit: This would also require a nine year old mother and 13 year old father, thus there cannot be any Bonaparte born in 1759.

My point? What's my point? My point is this: Napoleon would still be an artilleryman.

Does Napoleon in this case have to be born in British North America, or can he born in French North America in either Quebec, or Louisiana?

Does Napoleon in this case have to be born in British North America, or can he born in French North America in either Quebec, or Louisiana?

Well yeah, actually, unless he was born in the formerly French area which goes to the US after the war, the question is what if Napoleon was born in the US, and bring born in Quebec is not the US, and Louisiana is French till late in his life.

I read an AH short story (the name of which escapes me) in which Napoleon is born 30 years earlier and without the opportunities afforded by the Revolution ends up dying in obscurity, never having achieved anything except publishing a largely unread treatise on improved used of artillery...

Bruce

He is also born Genoese since Corsica vas sold (in OTL) to France one year before his birht

My point? What's my point? My point is this: Napoleon would still be an artilleryman.

Why? If you were born in Peru instead of (going out on a limb here) America, would you still post on this website? Napoleon wouldn't be the same person and wouldn't necessarily even know what artillery meant. He was a product of his society, and if you move him to a different society, he becomes a different product.

I'm sorry, but he wouldn't necessarily have the slightest interest in artillery.

Nobody knows what Napoleon would have done had he been born in America, Sardinia, or St. Petersburg. If he has a totally different upbringing (which he will) then he will turn into a different person.

If he is then born at a different time (example: one year later), he is not our Napoleon. I believe that I have already explained this, but if you wish me to further detail why this is the case, I am happy to do so.

If you were to read the last part of my previous post in this thread, you will see that there cannot be any Bonaparte, of any name, born to Napoleon's parents thirty years previous to his OTL birth. His mother was only nine years old, and thus would likely be needed to conceive at the age of eight. This is simply impossible.