Churchill dies during the war, is succeded by Jan Smuts

...Before this is sent to the ASB forum, read this little thing I found while researching for my Timeline:

Smuts' importance to the Imperial war effort was emphasised by a quite audacious plan, proposed as early as 1940, to appoint Smuts as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, should Churchill die or otherwise become incapacitated during the war. This idea was put by Sir John Colville, Churchill's private secretary, to Queen Mary and then to George VI, both of whom warmed to the idea. [11] As Churchill lived for another twenty-five years, the plan was never put into effect and its constitutionality was never tested. This closeness to the British establishment, to the King, and to Churchill made Smuts very unpopular amongst the Afrikaner, leading to his eventual downfall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Smuts#Second_World_War

So suppose Churchill dies in 1940-42 and this plan goes along. Is it even constitutional, for starters? What effects this would have, if done, in the british-south african relationships? And with the British Empire as a whole? How would Yalta, Potsdam or Teheran play out with Smuts as the british leader? Assuming, of course, this is even legal and that the british parliament somehow agrees.

Technically any member of the Dominions/Commonwealth held British citizenship well past WWII (the reason Caribbeans and Indians could quite easily emigrate to Britain in the 1950s/60s before Little Englanders saw new laws put in place making the old Imperial territories count as foriegn countries, also part of the ease had by post-war Brits going to Canada and Australia).

So Jans Smuts has just as much right as anyone to be able to participate in British politics. Also I suppose in the emergency/National Unity Government set-up it could have been brought in by Parliament, thats if they didn't view anyone else as a decent successor, ie Eden or even Atlee

If George VI asks Smuts to form a government of National Unity, and Smuts can rally parliament to his banner, then Smuts will be Prime Minister.

Now, the eminent Dr. Strangelove has answered the first of htese two caveats, and as for the second, would anyone dare not to fall in line, and possibly be branded a traitor?

Very interesting

The effects on the Empire/Commonwealth could be quite interesting. It could set a precedent for dominion politicians becoming involved in British/Imperial politics, which in turn could radically alter the Empire/Commonwealth.

The statute of Westminster had already made the dominions de jure equals of Britain, so an Imperial parliament separate from the British parliament and fully democratic (e.g. not dominated by Britain) would be a possible development IMO. It could have responsibility for foreign affairs, defence, trade and the remaining colonies until they were ready to join (or leave if that's what they wanted).

In fact if the Imperial Parliament was fully democratic it would be dominated by Indian politicians. You might have to have something like the US two house system to protect the smaller countries rights.

The collapse of British economic power during WW2 makes it all highly unlikely though.

I think this is pretty unlikely tbh. The monarch can't just appoint whoever they like on a whim; they are constitutionally obliged to appoint the person who can command the most support in the Commons.

Churchill had a soft spot for Smuts (which is doubtless why his private secretary took up this idea) but I don't recall him having much of a following amongst anyone else really. First choice over who would become PM in the event of Churchill's death would go to the 'Magic Circle'; there's also Labour to consider, as they would have to yes-say anyone who is pre-selected by the Tories.

The chances of either of them opting for Smuts seems to me to be to the highest degree improbable.

Last edited: