Ottoman Balkans Population Map

Here is a map of the population of the Ottoman Balkans by subprovince that I painstakingly assembled, which I think is pretty interesting, and opens a lot of AH channels as well. I did this as research for a TL that I'm working on with a different outcome of the Russo-Ottoman War of 1877-78 and Treaty of Berlin (1878).

A few striking points:

1. Muslims were a majority or at least a plurality in a surprising proportion of the Balkans - the only place where they are not a strong presence is the Aegean Islands. On the continent there are only three provinces where they are not a majority/plurality: Sofya, Manastir, and Yanya. They constitute approximately 43% of the total population of the Balkans (not including the Istanbul province).

2. Bulgaria was put in the wrong place. Large swaths of it contained very few Bulgars at all, necessitating the ethnic cleansing of huge numbers of Muslims, and the Bulgars of Macedonia were left out of the Bulgarian state.

3. The position of the Muslim population probably goes a long way to explain the resilience and longevity of the empire - and the border regions tended to be heavily Muslim.

4. The Muslim area of the Tuna province (today's northern Bulgaria) was principally Turkish, with a large number of Tatars and Circassians, the latter two constituting about a third of the Muslim population. Much of the Turkic element actually preceded the Ottoman period and had lived in the area as long as the Bulgars had.

5. Muslims were nearly a majority in Bosnia, which included Novi Pazar. They were overwhelmingly converted Serbo-Croats.

6. There is more detail for Bosnia and Bulgaria because these provinces were investigated before the Russo-Ottoman War. Figures from the census of 1881 are good, but by then the remaining territories of the empire were much more heavily Muslim, so it's only possible to determine the overall Muslim percentage of the population for the province as a whole, except Iskodra, where no refugees went.

7. Language ran in a continuum, running roughly West to East, beginning as Serbo-Croatian and drifting into Bulgarian - it was not until after the creation of ethnic nationalist states that dialects were standardized. That is why the question of to whom Macedonia "belonged" was so tricky. Obviously though, Greek, Albanian, and Turkish were totally separate languages.

8. The category "Greek" is tricky because in censuses this included all Orthodox Christians until the creation of the Bulgarian Exarchate. The Patriarchate attempted to Hellenize as much of the Slavic and Albanian population as possible in pursuit of the Megali Idea. They had some success.

The Russo-Ottoman War of 1877-78 was a human catastophe as well as a geopolitical one.

The Muslims of the region suffered horrendous mortality. Approximately 850,000 were massacred outright, a similar number died as refugees, and many more were resettled in the remaining Ottoman Balkans and Anatolia.

The best statistics available in the post-war period are not surprisingly the Austrian census data for Bosnia. There we see the tell-tale drop off in the number of young males which is characteristic of ethnic cleansing, and continued long into the Hapsburg period. The Muslim birthrate also plummeted.

The influx of refugees and the continuing stream of Muslim immigrants from the Balkan states had a drastic impact on the ethnic balance of the territories remaining to the empire. By the turn of the 20th c, only Yanya did not have a Muslim majority or comfortable plurality.

The Balkan Wars resulted in an even greater loss of life, followed by WWI which topped even that. This is the primary reason why modern Turkey is so paranoid about separatism - it has inevitably been accompanied by ethnic cleansing, if not genocide, on a massive scale.

Anyway, with regard to AH possibilities, the following spring to mind:

1. The loss of the Balkans is not inevitable. If the Ottomans can stay out of wars with Great Powers, the population balance is likely to increasingly tilt Muslim as rail lines are built and people move from poorer areas or the empire to the more developed regions of the Balkans. If the Capitulations are abolished and universal conscription is introduced, a number of Christians will emmigrate. This did happen in the 20th c when conscription of Christians was instituted.

2. There seems to be to be a great likelihood that if Bulgaria had achieved statehood under more "normal" circumstances (i.e. through gradual increases of autonomy as experienced by Serbia and Rumania), it would have been located further West.

3. If Bulgaria does gain independence, the Ottoman position in Albania and Bosnia is untenable. However, it does seem quite possible that the Ottomans would be able to retain a large swath in the Balkans covering the Eastern half of today's Bulgaria and stretching to Salonika.

4. Due to the language issue in point 7 above, the creation of a large South Slav state including Bulgaria is conceivable. Serbia is the fulcrum, and is the obvious focal point for it, but not necessarily as there are a lot more Bulgars than there are Serbs.

5. The areas that are Albanian Orthodox are vulnerable to Hellenization. This happened to an extent even during the Ottoman period, and Greece managed to almost totally obliterate Albanian identity in the areas it absorbed in the Balkan Wars. It's interesting that the areas Greece ended up with were largely Greek or at least Greek-Orthodox plurality or majority.

The principal source for this is Kemal Karpat, Ottoman Population, 1830-1914: Demographic and Social Characteristics

I have also used Justin McCarthy's works as well as a lot of 19th c European ethnographic studies.

Balkans1877popC.GIF

What is the urban/ rural relationship? Are more Muslims concentrated in the cities and towns?

It varies - in Albania, Bosnia, and Western Bulgaria, there are a lot of rural Muslims, but in the more heavily Christian areas, the Muslim population is largely urban. Loss of Ottoman territory was almost always followed by de-urbanization. For example, Ottoman Nish was a large city, but rapidly declined into a small town after its loss.

I knew there were a lot more Muslims in Bulgaria then now, but the extent of the Muslim majority there is certainly surprising. Also thought there was some kind of Greek presence around Izmir-Smyrna.Greek population around the Dardanelles instead, Interesting.

There are Greeks in the Izmir area, but there is no subprovince where they even approach a majority. They are probably a majority at the tip of the Dardanelles peninsula too, but that area is administratively attached to the province on the Asiatic side so it appears Muslim. It may very well be Muslim though, as it's very sparsely populated and has been in Ottoman hands very long - the garrison may be larger than the civilian population.

In WWI in the Gallipoli campaign, the entire Greek population of the whole peninsula was moved, and this only meant 30,000 people.

It varies - in Albania, Bosnia, and Western Bulgaria, there are a lot of rural Muslims, but in the more heavily Christian areas, the Muslim population is largely urban. Loss of Ottoman territory was almost always followed by de-urbanization. For example, Ottoman Nish was a large city, but rapidly declined into a small town after its loss.

When those areas where the rural population is largely Christian undergo Urbanisation, will not the rural Christian populations movement to the cities cause a lot of tension with the Muslims in the cities?

When those areas where the rural population is largely Christian undergo Urbanisation, will not the rural Christian populations movement to the cities cause a lot of tension with the Muslims in the cities?

That didn't tend to be the case. Very often the urban centers contained a Muslim landowning elite, garrisons, support services, and proto-industrial enterprises. Once the Muslim urbanites were ejected, you were left with an overwhelmingly argrarian population, usually in a small state without extensive internal trade networks, and the urban centers shrivelled up.

The Ottoman Empire was also much more urbanized than Europe, even in the late period, so there wasn't any rush to urbanization.

Even in the cases where there were large influxes into cities of Christians, cosmopolitan environments tend to cause much more harmonious interaction between communities.

In any case, economic development would most likely draw in people from poorer areas, like Eastern Anatolia, than from the relatively well-off rural areas of the Balkans.

I concur with P; this is indeed a very interesting map.

And there's one thing that I found particularly interesting;

4. The Muslim area of the Tuna province (today's northern Bulgaria) was principally Turkish, with a large number of Tatars and Circassians, the latter two constituting about a third of the Muslim population. Much of the Turkic element actually preceded the Ottoman period and had lived in the area as long as the Bulgars had.

A pre-Ottoman Turkic population, eh? - interesting...

I assume that this Turkic population descended from non-Slavified Bulgars that later mixed with other invading Turkic peoples like the Pechenegs and Cumans...

And just out of curiosity; exactly what religion did this Turkic population have before the Ottoman period?

Were they more or less Christianized, or was much of this Turkic population still largely shamanistic?

Or was there already some Islamic influence among them before the Ottoman period? (I recall that there were some Muslims among the Pechenegs and other Turkic peoples that invaded this region)

Thank you.

I'm not sure about the pre-Ottoman Turkic peoples of Bulgaria - they were Oguz, Pecheneg and Cuman (Kipchak) - the last named probably converted to Islam in the 12th c, I don't know about the rest, but I'm sure no later than that.

I concur with P; this is indeed a very interesting map.

And there's one thing that I found particularly interesting;

A pre-Ottoman Turkic population, eh? - interesting...

I assume that this Turkic population descended from non-Slavified Bulgars that later mixed with other invading Turkic peoples like the Pechenegs and Cumans...

And just out of curiosity; exactly what religion did this Turkic population have before the Ottoman period?

Were they more or less Christianized, or was much of this Turkic population still largely shamanistic?

Or was there already some Islamic influence among them before the Ottoman period? (I recall that there were some Muslims among the Pechenegs and other Turkic peoples that invaded this region)

Thande

Donor
On the Bulgaria thing Ran mentioned, aren't the Bulgars themselves ethnically a Turkic people anyway? How would you distinguish that if you're talking race rather than religion?

Philip

Donor
On the Bulgaria thing Ran mentioned, aren't the Bulgars themselves ethnically a Turkic people anyway? How would you distinguish that if you're talking race rather than religion?

Language, maybe? The Bulgarians speak a slavified language. Perhaps the other Turks still spoke a Turkic language?

The Bulgars converted to Christianity and got assimilated into the Slavic majority - modern Bulgarian is a Slavic language.

In the NW, epecially the Dobruja - that strip between the Danube and the Black Sea, remained Turkic and Muslim.

I cannot wait for the TL either. I was looking at the wiki of the 1878 Russo Turkish War are if it went better for the turks, they could've retained a lot of the Balkans

Ibn Warraq

Banned
That's a really interesting map. Thanks for posting it. Two questions if you don't mind.

5. Muslims were nearly a majority in Bosnia, which included Novi Pazar. They were overwhelmingly converted Serbo-Croats.

My college roommate, who happened to be Bulgarian, said he'd heard most Bosnian Muslims were descendants of Bogomils, though he wasn't sure. Do you know if that's true.

The Bulgars converted to Christianity and got assimilated into the Slavic majority - modern Bulgarian is a Slavic language.

Are you saying the Bulgars used to be Muslims? That certainly would be ironic considering what happened to Bulgarian Turks in the 80s, but how can that have happened. By that I mean, why, particularly during the time of the Ottoman Empire would large numbers of Muslims convert to Christianity? I can't imagine the Sultan would have allowed that, no matter how tolerant he was.

That used to be a prevalent theory, but it doesn't seem to be true - the center of gravity of the Bogomils was actually in Thrace, and it may just be that so many Bosnians converted because there was a lack of strong religious identity there, and many people preferred the lower taxes to their faith.

The Bulgars were never Muslim - they went straight to Orthodoxy, although some converted during the Ottoman period - the Pomaks of the Rhodope Mountains...

In general there was a lot of conversion to Islam in the empire until 1453 - the rejuvenation of the Patriarchy by the Ottomans led to the institution becoming a cultural rallying point and after that conversion trickled away. Ironic, but the Sharia does mandate total religious freedom for Christians and Jews.

That's a really interesting map. Thanks for posting it. Two questions if you don't mind.

My college roommate, who happened to be Bulgarian, said he'd heard most Bosnian Muslims were descendants of Bogomils, though he wasn't sure. Do you know if that's true.

Are you saying the Bulgars used to be Muslims? That certainly would be ironic considering what happened to Bulgarian Turks in the 80s, but how can that have happened. By that I mean, why, particularly during the time of the Ottoman Empire would large numbers of Muslims convert to Christianity? I can't imagine the Sultan would have allowed that, no matter how tolerant he was.

In general there was a lot of conversion to Islam in the empire until 1453 - the rejuvenation of the Patriarchy by the Ottomans led to the institution becoming a cultural rallying point and after that conversion trickled away. Ironic, but the Sharia does mandate total religious freedom for Christians and Jews.

Now if people would only read the damn book. :(

How long of a timespan would this map cover? Does this only work for the late 19th century, or do most of these populations and percentages tend to stay the same throughout the 19th- maybe even the 18th!- century?