A Soccer Crazed US, a Texas Sports Column What If

Here's something intersting I thought of for the Texas Sports Column's latest What If Column, What if Soccer replaced football and basketball as the dominant American Sport Pre WWII. Let's say for the sake of argument when the 1932 Olympics were held in LA, the IOC allowed soccer to be played even though it wasn't to popular in the US. Then a hodgepodge teamwins the Gold and soccer captures the nations heart before football and basketball become established (This also makes the Olympic Competition the default big world torunament for soccer instead of FIFA World Cup which was created because soccer weas not played at the 32' Olympics). From 32' onwards it's just Soccer and Baseball in the US with all the big football and basketball stars growing up in a soccer oriented world and their skills (especially OTL running backs) translating onto the pitch (is pitch right:p) instead of hardcourt or gridiron. Personally for the record I firmly believe that if our nations best talent grew up wanting to play soccer, the US would be just as dominate in the game as the Brazilians and Europeans. So without further ado, What if the US was soccer crazed...

With the Beijing Olympics coming up soon, the world has their collective eyes on the centerpiece of the games, the Olympic Soccer Tournament. Every four years ever since the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles when the makeshift US National team won it’s first gold medal (The California Miracle) and Soccer Mania swept the country (and subsequently turned football into a novelty game favored by frat boys in Southern and Midwestern colleges), the Olympic Tournament has been the gold standard of International Soccer competition and the source for international athletic bragging rights.

Now 76 years and seven Gold Medals later, the US is once again the favorite going into the games. The US Dream Team made up of MLS Hall of Famers and young guns and lead by legendary coach Phil Jackson is looking to roll over the Brazilians, Argentineans, and Italians and make it back to back Gold Medals for the first time since the Dream Team accomplished it in 88’ and 92’ before the National team went into the slump. The Slump of course referring to the period from 1996 to 2003 when the US National team could not win a major game in international competition to save its life.

That team was characterized by lackluster players that sported amazing talent but little desire to compete hard game in and game out. A team led by Allen Iverson, Shawn Kemp, an aging Michael Jordan, Dante Culpepper, Derek Jeter, Barry Sanders, and an aging Brett Favre. Those teams under old US national coach Joe Torre could skate by on talent many a night but in big time international matches had trouble keeping pace with more motivated teams with, for the first time in a long time, better athletes such as France’s Zinadine Zidane and England’s David Beckham. These facts coupled with off-field issues and the fact that Kemp was a womanizing mess and Sander’s retired early kept the team in constant turmoil and public limelight for all the wrong reasons.

However a resurgence of Patriotism and a restructuring of the team in 2003 boosted America back to dream team status. A youth movement, coupled with better veterans, and a new coach in Kansas City Wizard’s head coach Phil Jackson, has created the perfect storm for soccer resurgence in the US. Now a team once characterized by lack of effort, quest for Sports Center highlights, and a desire to only cash a fat MLS check in free agency has been replaced by a can do squad of youngsters and veteran wisdom. LeBron James, LaDainian Tomlinson, Larry Johnson, Chad Johnson, Dwayne Wade, Jimmy Rollins, Tom Brady coupled with Peyton Manning, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and Randy Moss dominated the 2004 Olympics in Greece and now they look to do it again in China. Let’s not forget to mention the US teams absolute domination of the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

This team reminds me so much of the original dream team when the powerful MLS and commissioner David Stern decided to allow professionals to play in the Olympics alongside their EPL and other European and Latin American league brethren. Until then the Olympics had been dominated by the college greats such as Lew Alcindor at UCLA, Jim Brown at Syracuse, Larry Bird at Indiana State, Hershel Walker at Georgia, OJ Simpson at USC, Walter Payton of Jackson State, Archie Griffin at Ohio State, Earl Campbell at Texas, and the other greats.

When Stern allowed the MLS players to compete patriotism and confidence swept the nation as players like a young Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, and Rickey Henderson all joined the team. Houston’s Olajuwon and Los Angeles’ Johnson joined and managed to build a great friendship even though just months earlier the two Hall of Famers engaged in an on-field brawl during the Supermatch! Under Coach Bill Walsh then Jimmy Johnson the experiment thrived with the Dream team winning Gold by record setting margins in 1988 and 1992.

Now the quest for Eight begins in a few months. Here’s to another Red, White, and Blue Gold and the continuation of American Excellence at Soccer.

Meh. Has the American success somehow entirely wiped out the existence of the World Cup (biggest soccer tournament in the world, for anyone who lives on Saturn)? And what ATL are we living in where those with American football skills are ideally placed to be skilled in soccer also? The two sports are radically different, and require not just a different style of play, but a different shape of player.

I'm sure the US would have been very successful if it had adopted the game back then, maybe even to the tune of 2-3 World Cups, but the idea of seven Olympic medals seems a bit unlikely, unless no other teams take the thing seriously.

And the idea that seven-foot tall basketball players would dominate the soccer pitch is laughable.

Last edited:
Meh. Has the American success somehow entirely wiped out the existence of the World Cup (biggest soccer tournament in the world, for anyone who lives on Saturn)? And what ATL are we living in where those with American football skills are ideally placed to be skilled in soccer also? The two sports are radically different, and require not just a different style of play, but a different shape of player.

I'm sure the US would have been very successful if it had adopted the game back then, maybe even to the tune of 2-3 World Cups, but the idea of seven Olympic medals seems a bit unlikely, unless no other teams take the thing seriously.

And the idea that seven-foot tall basketball players would dominate the soccer pitch is laughable.

We'll obviously new athletes would arise and LT and Larry Bird and all of them would be working at McDonalds and doing my taxes, but for the sake of the column these kinds of articles are good for name dropping. Besides many football players in OTL high school would be playing soccer (ex. instead of Texas being HS football crazy it's HS soccer crazy) and would develop the skills necessary and build their bodies differently, the level of sheer athletisism would be the same.

In OTL FIFA creates the World Cup because it and the IOC can't agree on soccer rules or play for the 1932 LA Olympics. The POD for my TL is that they do and instead of the World Cup being the absolute most dominate big time soccer tourney on Earth, it simply remains the olympics. When the American's score an upset win in said 32' Olympics soccer sweeps the nation and subsequently sweeps football and Basketball under the rug.

While 7 Gold Medals seems like a lot, just look at the real medal counts for the Olympics, it goes US and Soviet Union HUGE GAP rest of the world. To my knowlege the soviets never really were all that good at soccer so it would be absolute US dominance with intermittent Brazilian, Argentian, and European wins.

We'll obviously new athletes would arise and LT and Larry Bird and all of them would be working at McDonalds and doing my taxes, but for the sake of the column these kinds of articles are good for name dropping. Besides many football players in OTL high school would be playing soccer (ex. instead of Texas being HS football crazy it's HS soccer crazy) and would develop the skills necessary and build their bodies differently, the level of sheer athletisism would be the same.

In OTL FIFA creates the World Cup because it and the IOC can't agree on soccer rules or play for the 1932 LA Olympics. The POD for my TL is that they do and instead of the World Cup being the absolute most dominate big time soccer tourney on Earth, it simply remains the olympics. When the American's score an upset win in said 32' Olympics soccer sweeps the nation and subsequently sweeps football and Basketball under the rug.

While 7 Gold Medals seems like a lot, just look at the real medal counts for the Olympics, it goes US and Soviet Union HUGE GAP rest of the world. To my knowlege the soviets never really were all that good at soccer so it would be absolute US dominance with intermittent Brazilian, Argentian, and European wins.

1) Some of them undoubtedly would, but not the majority. Maybe 10%, at a guess? And they wouldn't necessarily be the biggest stars.

2) Fair enough, that's reasonable.

3) I don't agree. In most countries soccer gets far more funding and attention than all other sports, whereas in America it's always been one among many. Even if it is number one in the US, you're relying on the US team being much, much better than Brazil, to name just one. I find that unlikely. They might be as good, with luck and the right development in tactics etc. But I doubt they'd be better to that degree. I'd have given them maximum 5 golds, and that is pushing it.

1) Some of them undoubtedly would, but not the majority. Maybe 10%, at a guess? And they wouldn't necessarily be the biggest stars.

2) Fair enough, that's reasonable.

3) I don't agree. In most countries soccer gets far more funding and attention than all other sports, whereas in America it's always been one among many. Even if it is number one in the US, you're relying on the US team being much, much better than Brazil, to name just one. I find that unlikely. They might be as good, with luck and the right development in tactics etc. But I doubt they'd be better to that degree. I'd have given them maximum 5 golds, and that is pushing it.

10% of pros maybe, I have it around 20-30% just because we've reached a point where the only thing seperating Kobe Bryant from Smush Parker is sheer motivation and athletisim. I imagine current pros have a much better chance of retaining that athletic advantage over their peers. (Thats only if you do away with the massive amount of butterfly's that would affect say Randy Moss and Moss's family line if Soccer becomes dominant in 32' and he goes pro in 97' or 98')

I see where your coming from with the funding and status postion. But if Soccer becomes dominant then the MLS basically becomes the equivlent of NFL+NBA, easily the strongest club league inthe world. Soccer would be far and away the biggest spectator college sport (NCAABB+NCAAFB) with Ohio State's Horseshoe and A&M's Kyle Field packing 80,000 to 100,000 college fans for a soccer match. From the 60's onward American Soccer players would have the best equipment in the world and access to an infite amount of funds. I see American soccer players being as dominant as basketball players were in intenrnational competition from Bball's creation to the late 90's.

Then again that was because the international world was catching up with the Americans in basketball and when they did catch up we started losing to lithuania and croatia. This is actually kind of togh to predict because the US and the rest of the World have never truly been on par with a common team sport for an extended period of time. The more I think about it the more I can the US winning only 2 or 3 Gold's from 32' onwards but then I can also see them winning 7-8 Golds. Your number of five is making more and more sense, but it's really hard to predict.

In OTL FIFA creates the World Cup because it and the IOC can't agree on soccer rules or play for the 1932 LA Olympics.

Sorry, but there had already been a FIFA World Cup. The first one was in 1930, hosted and won by Uruguay.

In 1930, the few European teams who bothered to make the journey were stunned by the skilled South American teams, doing things with a ball that the 'established' western players had never even thought of.

In 1930, what's going to get this US 'hodgepodge' team to defeat both the European teams, spme of whom will make the trek, and the teams such as Uruguay and Argentina, who had humbled said Europeans just two years previous? :confused:

Sorry to piss on your PoD, but there are some things here which simply don't work.

Sorry, but there had already been a FIFA World Cup. The first one was in 1930, hosted and won by Uruguay.

In 1930, the few European teams who bothered to make the journey were stunned by the skilled South American teams, doing things with a ball that the 'established' western players had never even thought of.

In 1930, what's going to get this US 'hodgepodge' team to defeat both the European teams, spme of whom will make the trek, and the teams such as Uruguay and Argentina, who had humbled said Europeans just two years previous? :confused:

Sorry to piss on your PoD, but there are some things here which simply don't work.

well damnation:p

I'm not soccer historical, so that basically destroys my POD. The hodgepodge team that wins against all odds has no hope in a real time line but for this one they just come out of nowhere, play brilliantly, catch everyone with their pants down, and inspire a nation. 50 years later disney makes a bad movie about them, one of those things. I need to find a POD earlier though...

Jasen777

Donor

The U.S. winning in 1932 isn't that unrealistic. The U.S. had finished 3rd in 1930, has homefield, and could perhaps be expected to benefit form some questionable officiating. U.S. soccer wasn't a joke compared to the rest of the world yet.

Alot of the player name drops simply don't have the right physical skills for soccer. Brady, Farve, Bird, Kemp, Culpepper, Manning, Olajwon, Ewing, could never be great soccer players. The type of U.S. athlete that might translate to soccer would probably be your Allen Iversons and Michael Vicks. That type of athleticism, but kicking the soccer ball is a completely different skill-set, perhaps if they played soccer as kids they would have it, but maybe they wouldn't.

Even people like Dwayne Wade is pushing the size envelope for elite soccer players. I do have a theory thought that great defensive swingmen might have been able to be great goalies - athletes like Scottie Pippen, if they had the background and instincts.

A U.S. with soccer as its main sport would be the leading international power - with the money and athletes of most of Europe combined that's hardly surprising. But World Cup wins are tricky things, you have to be hot at the right time, as lots of countries can find 11 players that can compete with your top 11.

The U.S. winning in 1932 isn't that unrealistic. The U.S. had finished 3rd in 1930, has homefield, and could perhaps be expected to benefit form some questionable officiating. U.S. soccer wasn't a joke compared to the rest of the world yet.

Alot of the player name drops simply don't have the right physical skills for soccer. Brady, Farve, Bird, Kemp, Culpepper, Manning, Olajwon, Ewing, could never be great soccer players. The type of U.S. athlete that might translate to soccer would probably be your Allen Iversons and Michael Vicks. That type of athleticism, but kicking the soccer ball is a completely different skill-set, perhaps if they played soccer as kids they would have it, but maybe they wouldn't.

Even people like Dwayne Wade is pushing the size envelope for elite soccer players. I do have a theory thought that great defensive swingmen might have been able to be great goalies - athletes like Scottie Pippen, if they had the background and instincts.

A U.S. with soccer as its main sport would be the leading international power - with the money and athletes of most of Europe combined that's hardly surprising. But World Cup wins are tricky things, you have to be hot at the right time, as lots of countries can find 11 players that can compete with your top 11.

Yeah when I was writing it I was laughing at the thought of Bird and Quarterbacks, tall guys and arm strength guys, translating to the soccer field. For this kind of story there would be entirely new athletes with the occasional OTL known guy finding a roster spot, but thats not good for business;)

I do believe that if Soccer was dominant and the MLS was founded a long time ago and it was the priemer soccer league in the US, it would be far and away the biggest thing in all of soccer. We're talking vast amounts of money, vast amounts of TV, radio, and net exposure, all the greats would come here. Think NFL+NBA. Think EPL on roids. It would be far and away the most dominant sports organization on the planet, stronger than FIFA and stronger than the IOC.

Jasen777

Donor
Yeah when I was writing it I was laughing at the thought of Bird and Quarterbacks, tall guys and arm strength guys, translating to the soccer field.

Quarterbacks are Quarterbacks because they can throw a ball fast, accurately, and far. Not exactly soccer skill #1.

Quarterbacks are Quarterbacks because they can throw a ball fast, accurately, and far. Not exactly soccer skill #1.

so passing an irregually shaped ball with your arm isn't a skill that will translate well to soccer:p;)

Soccer is really difficult to findplayers to translate to. The only athletes I can think of are running backs and scrambling QB's and smaller uber competitive bball players like you said LeBron sort of, maybe MJ, Pippen, etc. Now NFL kickers might translate very well, in Junior high and high school our kickers were recruited from the soccer teams.

I do believe that if Soccer was dominant and the MLS was founded a long time ago and it was the priemer soccer league in the US, it would be far and away the biggest thing in all of soccer. We're talking vast amounts of money, vast amounts of TV, radio, and net exposure, all the greats would come here. Think NFL+NBA. Think EPL on roids. It would be far and away the most dominant sports organization on the planet, stronger than FIFA and stronger than the IOC.

I agree with you there, an MLS founded before WWII, having real popular support, would be an absoutely huge deal, rendering all other football (soccer:p) competitions about as important as NFL Europe is to the world.

Also, after a bit more research :(, i have to admit that the victory is not out of the question: seems the US competed in all the Olympic football tounaments of the '20s and '30s, so with home crowd, a bit of luck and maybe a Russian linesman or two, we could hace a US gold.

Then, its just a matter of the victory firing up enough enthusiam to maintain the interest. I think that if the league survives WWII, then its going to be huge. In the '50s, everything cool was American, and that could easily extend to Europeans being interested in the MLS.

Jasen777

Donor
LeBron is huge - 6 ft 8, 250-260lbs. You don't get alot of that in soccer, Europeans that size are playing basketball. I just mentioned Pippen as a goalie, which I think could work.

Kickers are a good idea, but it probably won't be the known NFL level kickers, because of soccer's intense aerobic demands.

Hmmm... US international victories is something quite hard to predict.

After all England is home to Manchester United, the wealthiest, most popular team in the world, not to mention the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal. At league level English teams have also won a vast number of championships.

That translates into a WC win decades ago and often laughable results at the international level.

Why?

One reason is simply the money issue: Wealthy English teams buy the the best players they can, from Europe and South America, meaning a national team will only hold a fraction of the FA's top players. Meanwhile the likes of Brazil while robbed of their best at league level are suddenly imbued with players not only of great natural ability but who have been playing for teams who can offer hi-tech training.

I know thats a pretty rough idea but would a Soccer crazed USA go even further in terms of lop-sided success due the VAST finances avaiable, meaning Brazilians, Italians, Spaniards dominating the MLS only for the USA to lose to Ecuador in World Cup qualifiers?

I could also imagine a US Soccer craze leading to more international league competition, perhaps the European UEFA Championship being overshadowed by a Transatlantic one? New York FC vs Real Madrid would draw in the punters assuredly.

That said, the sheer population of the USA might simply lead to competent soccer players appearing in droves, its just a hard one to figure.

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Sweden, Denmark, Nigeria... Romania, once upon a time... It's not all about the money. I agree with Jape, the US would end up like England. Good clubs but a national team that keeps letting its fans down. Spain's another example of that. And having a large population provides no guarantees, as China and India can tell you.

O, a little thing, Big Tex: if soccer were to be dominant in the US, it would not be called soccer. It'd be called football instead, like everywhere else in the world (Australia exempt).

Blackwood

Banned
(OOC: Man, after reading that, I really wish this actually happened. It sounds like such an incredible sports world to live in. :))