Industrial Revolution in China

This has probably been done before, but I'll ask it anyhow. With a POD no later than 1650, how would you make China experience an Industrial Revolution, to the point where they would be able to dominate the world like the Europeans did by the 19th century. China clearly has the potential to acheive such a feat, considering their abundant natural resources, well-developed culture, advnaced agrarian economy, not to mention their huge population. If China would be able to achieve such a feat, what consequences does it hold for the rest of the world?

Riain

Banned
The PODs are all political/cultural, so are much harder to bring about than simply discovering some handy phenomenon and putting it to use.

Hendryk

Banned
This has probably been done before, but I'll ask it anyhow.
The possibility has been raised, but no full-fledged TL has come out of it to my knowledge, which means you're welcome to give it a try.

One attempt was a few years ago when Faeelin speculated on an industrial revolution during the Song dynasty. I personally still think it's your best bet. Song-era China had all the fundamentals in place, and only needed that extra little something that OTL didn't give it--instead the Mongols showed up.

If China would be able to achieve such a feat, what consequences does it hold for the rest of the world?
Short answer: big ones.

Faeelin

Banned
The possibility has been raised, but no full-fledged TL has come out of it to my knowledge, which means you're welcome to give it a try.

There's "East meets west", over n SHWI.

speculated on an industrial revolution during the Song dynasty. I personally still think it's your best bet. Song-era China had all the fundamentals in place, and only needed that extra little something that OTL didn't give it--instead the Mongols showed up.

I wish I knew more about the Song economy, alas.

But I've been thinking lately about an industrial revolution beginning in the Ming-Qing transition. A vibrant commercial sector, mining picking up in North China, etc.

Of course, one question is how China industrializes. China has some places which are like Holland, others which are like Bulgaria in terms of development. So it'd be interesting, to say the least.