An Unfortunate Event: The Trent War

67th Tigers

Banned
Outrage to our English Flag! RMS Trent seized by the United States!

It has been communicated to us by us by our agents in New York that the Royal Mail Streamer Trent, now ten days overdue, was not lost at sea but was in fact intercepted by the US Frigate San Jacinto. Finding two Confederate government ambassadors aboard Messieurs Sidell and Mason, her Captain, the renegade Charles Wilkes, well known for his piratical ways, seized her as a prize of war and was taken her to New York.

The prize court has not yet sat, but our intelligence suggests the Federal government is not disclaiming Captain Wilkes’ actions.....

-[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]The Times, 2nd December, 1861

Editorial

It may have escaped the notice of our readers, but Msr DuPont, a Federal representative was recently in London on business, and his business was niter. The Federal States of America was clearly unprepared for such a momentous struggle and did not have sufficient reserves of niter and powder to fight a protracted war.

Msr DuPont spent a month buying all the available niter on the London market, and sailed with it for America barely a week ago. It seems fortunate for the Federals that news of the affair of the Trent did not reach our shores earlier, or we should surely have put a stop to its export....

-[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]The Times, 3rd December, 1861

Chapter 1: The Cause of the War

... News of the capture was delayed for several days as the San Jacinto and Trent steamed for New York, putting in at Hampton Roads (the famous site of the Monitor vs Terror battle some months later) en route. In the meantime ships with several thousands of tons of Saltpetre (an essential ingredient in the manufacture of gunpowder) had set sail for the USA from London. We can only speculate that if the news had reached England only days earlier then these ships could have been seized and perhaps the Federals could have been forced to back down. Similarly, a run on the banks in New York was forestalled by the arrival of a large quantity of specie from California.....

... The immediate British response was to begin full mobilisation for war. The militia was embodied on the 7th December and an army of 25,000 men ordered to set out for America immediately. However, by the time they reached Halifax, the first troopships found that the St Lawrence was already unnavigable. It is a testament to the organisational skills of Major General Doyle that the sledge route was still available and over 20,000 British troops travelled to Montreal via this route in January 1862....

-[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]The Third Anglo-American War, 1861-1863; Oxford University Press, Oxford

26th December, 1861: Lincoln and Seward meet in the White House and decide to reject the British ultimatum, leading to the British declaration of war on the 14th January, 1862

-[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]The War of the Seccession Day by Day, Longstreet University Press, Richmond

Notes

This is the start of an attempt to set up a Trent Affair war at its most favourable to the United States. Its point of divergence is that the Trent was seized as a prize of war, as Wilkes originally ordered. This alters the timing of events enough that the British have more difficulty getting troops into Canada and the Federals can ignore the powder question for a while.
The specie is entirely made up, but based on a huge loss of Specie a couple of years earlier. I assume that never happened, and there are enough butterflies to stabilise the US financial situation.

Also, I’m afraid I’m not a very good writer, so please bear with me.

Thande

Donor
Ooh! Nice to see a definitive TL on this rather than just more circlejerked discussion.

Interesting, its a common POD for a third american war, but seeing as its 67th Tigers writing it, I'm going to assume that things are going to be realitively realistic (and not an america wank). I can't wait to see how this turns out.

MrP

Banned
Huzzah, huzzah and thrice huzzah! I'm very greatly looking forward to this - especially that little Monitor vs. Terror titbit! :cool:

67th Tigers

Banned
As a look forward, I was struggling for a way to explain the various armies etc., but happened to be watching the Mark Steel Lectures this morning (I have a 2 hour commute to Imperial College) and hit upon the fact that Marx and Engels were very prolific writers on military affairs see http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/cw/volume19/index.htm for his works on the ACW).

Thus the next part will thus be written as an newspaper article written by ITTL Karl Marx explaining the nature of the armies etc., when I get round to writing it.

Unless anyone has any better ideas?

Thande

Donor
As a look forward, I was struggling for a way to explain the various armies etc., but happened to be watching the Mark Steel Lectures this morning (I have a 2 hour commute to Imperial College) and hit upon the fact that Marx and Engels were very prolific writers on military affairs see http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/cw/volume19/index.htm for his works on the ACW).

Thus the next part will thus be written as an newspaper article written by ITTL Karl Marx explaining the nature of the armies etc., when I get round to writing it.

Unless anyone has any better ideas?

That's an interesting idea.

Lots of stuff about the bourgeois laissez-fair imperialists in the Confederacy oppressing the proletariat, I daresay :D

67th Tigers

Banned
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1549249

That's an interesting idea.

Lots of stuff about the bourgeois laissez-fair imperialists in the Confederacy oppressing the proletariat, I daresay :D

Actually, checking the archives, it seems the majority of the accurate material was written by the long suffering Engels....

So perhaps a shouty piece from Marx, and a factual piece from Engels

Faeelin

Banned
I have a question.

What is Britain eating?

My understanding is that 1860-1862 were all years of poor harvests in Britain; and it's become clear that the US and British grain market was already very well integrated in this period.

http://www.ata.boun.edu.tr/ehes/Istanbul Conference Papers- May 2005/Persson et al-Convergence.pdf

Googling, again, it's clear that Britain imported substantially more grain between 1860 and 1863 as a result of poor harvests; in 1862, frex, domestic production was down to 12,276 quarters (This came up in a quick google from: The Agricultural Development of the West During the Civil War, by Emerson D. Fite; an oldie, but interesting).

(It's also not clear to me why Lincoln decides to go to war, but it never has been and we must accept that he goes temporarily insane for this to work).

Thande

Donor
Googling, again, it's clear that Britain imported substantially more grain between 1860 and 1863 as a result of poor harvests; in 1862, frex, domestic production was down to 12,276 quarters (This came up in a quick google from: The Agricultural Development of the West During the Civil War, by Emerson D. Fite; an oldie, but interesting).

Interesting; the last time Britain got a bit starved in the 19th century, as a result of the Irish potato famine and the fallout with other crops, it resulted in the repeal of the Corn Laws and an upsurge of political radicalism (as the Duke of Wellington said, all of it down to that damned potato).

Would be interesting if this provoked another one - Britain won't starve, we can get grain from other sources, but prices will inevitably rise and so will discontent. Another reform act in the late 1860s? Universal male suffrage perhaps?

MrP

Banned
Interesting; the last time Britain got a bit starved in the 19th century, as a result of the Irish potato famine and the fallout with other crops, it resulted in the repeal of the Corn Laws and an upsurge of political radicalism (as the Duke of Wellington said, all of it down to that damned potato).

Would be interesting if this provoked another one - Britain won't starve, we can get grain from other sources, but prices will inevitably rise and so will discontent. Another reform act in the late 1860s? Universal male suffrage perhaps?

Ooh, good news for the poor! Huzzah!

What is Britain eating?

My understanding is that 1860-1862 were all years of poor harvests in Britain; and it's become clear that the US and British grain market was already very well integrated in this period.

The question should be where is this grain going. I have always been under the impression that the *America can starve Britain into submission* is mildly ridiculous.

The British have money. They can afford pay over the odds. Someone else might go hungry but it is unlikely to be the British. Europeans will probably realise the potential of buying American produce and then selling it off to the British if there is some rather implausable 'patriotic' ban on selling to the British.

If the US grain isn't on the market because it simply cannot be exported anywhere then American agriculture is about to suffer. On the otherhand its unlikely the British would blockade resources they need, especially when it is such a good tool for dividing the Union.

uh, no, with 67th writing it, it's pretty much a guarantee that the USA will be losing big time...

No not neccesarily, not if it means ignoring the facts (in order to make the U.S. lose big time). He'll put his own spin on them, but he won't ignore the obvious facts. Regardless this should be interesting and I heartily look forward to it.

Faeelin

Banned

Who had a ready supply of grain on hand to sell in 1862?