Challenge: Hapsburg Kingdom of Italy?

So, how could we get an Italy united by the Hapsburgs, yet independent of Austria and ruled by a Hapsburg other than the King of Austria?

PODs no earlier than 1815.

Glen

So, how could we get an Italy united by the Hapsburgs, yet independent of Austria and ruled by a Hapsburg other than the King of Austria?

Maximillian somehow?

Grey Wolf

Donor
I know I did one with Maximilian once, from his position as Viceroy of Lombardy-Venetia, which becomes split off from Austria as a result of XYZ, one forgets

It is then a player in its own right in Italy, and the main rival to Piedmont/Sardinia

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Susano

Banned
Well, the Habsburg mainline controlled Venetia and Lombardy, a sideline the Tuscana, and another Modena...and until 1847 Parma, too. So chances are not that bad, problem is just that the Habsburgs were seen too much as "foreigners". And the mainline will always be. The next best bet is Habsburg-Tuscany. That atcualyl could wokr if we tweak around with the personalities of the Granddukes a bit. If one of them, persents himself as champion of Italian nationalism, and then also convinces his Habsburg cousins to turn their land over (better it is still Habsburg before it falls to another House!), we could have a core Italy, at least.

*twitches*

Erm, it's either the Archduke of Austria or the Emperor of Austria, Austria never was a Kingdom.

Strategos' Risk said:
Forget that. What about Vandox?
Vandox was more or less a Austro-Germanic/Habsburgophilic Napoleon figure created by Hapsburg in a timeline of his. I've seen atleast two different versions of it, I think, the original I think he just kind of poofs into being Holy Roman Emperor, and then starts a massive Imperial Dynasty, and the other, again I think I haven't looked at either for a very long time, he slowly builds his way up eventually becoming Holy Roman Emperor when OTL Leopold II(at that point just acting as King of Bohemia as an Elector) withdraws his hereditary bid and announces his proposal of Vandox. Vandox then centralizes the Empire and expands it, and launches a massive series of Wars that are TTL's Napoleonic War. On a side note the whole time the Habsburgs are gaining more and more land as most of Vandox's conquest's he awards directly to them and helps them regather their Crowns, ie our Franz II is crowned King of Spain. The last part of this saga I remember is when Imperial Forces invade and conquer Great Britain.

Glen said:
Maximillian somehow?
Actually we just had a major discussion about this. So pretty much for whatever reason the Habsburg Hereditary lands are divided up in 1848, I proposed that Franz Joseph I is offered the German Crown at Frankfurt but must divide the Habsburg lands so that Hungary and the Italian states become independent, with only Austria and Bohemia joining Germany, however it was also proposed that the Prussian's somehow through force brings Austria and Bohemia in as the equivalent of Bavaria and Saxony. In either case Maxmilian ends of as King of Venetia or following MC's idea he brings the Iron Crown of Lombardy back(the whole Germany meets Italy thing). The House of Savoy united Italy mainly because there was no one else too, so after a series of wars probably aided by his brother the German Emperor, the Liberal minded Maximilian unites Italy. As for the whole foreigner thing. Maximilian would have taken the throne at 16, he was a romantic and would have thrown himself into the Italian culture and learned Italian.

Vandox is one of the ultimate wanktastic gary sues of (amateur) AH. He should be on the top ten of any such list. Speaking of which, perhaps we can make a thread of that.