Romans in China

I saw a program on the history channel about possible evidence of some Roman Soldiers who ended up in China. Of course, nothing is confirmed, though alot of circumstantional evidence exists. Now what if this is confirmed.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
What part of China? I read about a Roman contingent that ran into Chinese soldiers around the Caspian in the 3rdc. and the Han Chinese had this long tongue that went right out the Kansu corridor so that is possible.

Well if Romans are more succesful against the Parthians and even gain a part of Iran they'd have good communication link with China.

Yeah it is known as "the lost legion of Crasus".
There is no evidence that any survivors of Crassus's legions made it to China. The account of the battle merely describes what appear drilled troops. Given that there were descendants of Greek colonists in the region into the contemporary era, it is more lightly that the troops in question are some form of hoplite, peltast or phalangite. At very least they would not have so far to travel than Romans captured by Parthians.

Thande

Donor
Imperial Thread Destroyer Quoting Wikipedia has been sighted, please evacuate the thread :rolleyes:

I seem to remember reading that the Chinese once captured a small Roman force and pressed them into service as mercenaries against someone else - the Kushans, I think?

Riain

Banned
I have a susupicion that large numbers of people from the Roman empire, and other empires for the matter, travelled distances and went to places that would amaze us. People from both empires would regularly meet in trade entrepots in the middle, where the silk road ended. I daresay that many travelled past these terminuses, you would see the odd Chinese in the Levant or the odd Roman in western India.

So having the odd small unit of Roman legionaries, or as someone suggested perhaps a Hellenistic phalanx unit, in western China isn't too bizzare.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
What I alway thought would make an awesome chop sockey movie is where a Chinese martial artist comes into the Arena.

Yes, yes, the history's about as wrong as it can be. Attack of the Drunken Masters is not exactly a primary source either.

Dee Mee Tao and the Gladiators, how cool is that:D

I have a susupicion that large numbers of people from the Roman empire, and other empires for the matter, travelled distances and went to places that would amaze us. People from both empires would regularly meet in trade entrepots in the middle, where the silk road ended. I daresay that many travelled past these terminuses, you would see the odd Chinese in the Levant or the odd Roman in western India.

So having the odd small unit of Roman legionaries, or as someone suggested perhaps a Hellenistic phalanx unit, in western China isn't too bizzare.

If wikipedia is accurate, the Roman emperors recieved embassies from China on a regular basis through out the 2nd and 3rd Centuries BC.

Faeelin

Banned

Nitpick: there was almost certainly a large Roman (Well, Hellenized Easterners who were subjects of Rome) presence in India OTL.

Faeelin

Banned
I saw a program on the history channel about possible evidence of some Roman Soldiers who ended up in China. Of course, nothing is confirmed, though alot of circumstantional evidence exists. Now what if this is confirmed.

If it's before the 1970s?

Why it's a sign that all of China's glories are due to the presence of Roman influence.

Imperial Thread Destroyer Quoting Wikipedia has been sighted, please evacuate the thread :rolleyes:

I seem to remember reading that the Chinese once captured a small Roman force and pressed them into service as mercenaries against someone else - the Kushans, I think?
I've read about a few of these instances years before Wikpidia ever existed.