The Swedes immigrate to South Africa

OTL, a lot of poor Swedes (I think it was in the order of 1.2 million) emigrated to the US in the mid to late 19th century.

What if they (or a fairly substantial share of them) had gone to the South African republics instead? Would they affect the Boer Wars? Or the local politics? What might the long-term effects have been?

(On a related issue, is it possible they would have? What would be required for that?)

Why should the Swedes move to South Africa ? :confused: Could they get the better living standard that as good as they would get in America in there ?

Ignoring the large unlikelihood that the Swedes would move to South Africa in the first place - why would they want to live alongside the Dutchmen farmers, descended from the guys who took over their colonies in the Delaware in the 1600s, in the veldt? - I couldn't see why they wouldn't join the Boer Republics in 1899 if their homes were being swept up by British imperialism.

Of course, I can't see why they would want to move inland in the first place. Even if they did, wouldn't the Boers just tell them to back off as they embark on the Great Trek?

I dunno, I was vaguely toying with the idea that some local government might offer incentive. Was there any British/Boer leader who would have been interested in greater immigration?

Is there any chance the Boers would want Swedish immigration as a protection from Britain? Or did they view all foreigners as equally bad?

They did. Not that many, but a fair portion of the emigration went there. It's just that there aren't, and weren't, that many Swedes overall.

That is true. Sweden was never a big source of immigration the way the industrializing west/central Europeans were with their massive populations.

Well, Cecil Rhodes was interested in greater immigration from Britain.

True, but Rhodes also thoguht highly of the US and Germany. Perhaps he might have been help if you changed Swedes to Germans or Americans.

The Boers REALLY didn't like foreigners, or so I've read. (Calling Marius here.)