How do you stop WWI?

I'm really new to AH and thought that some of those more experienced on the forum might help me

A simple question: What is the best way to stop WWI starting with a POD no earlier than 1900

I'm open to all suggestions :)

Grey Wolf

Donor
You could try Russia defeating Japan in 1904-5 - causally it breaks the chain in several places but the question is whether it builds a NEW chain in its place ?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Thanks alot Grey Wolf but could you clarify what you mean :confused:. Like I said, I'm very new to this and the R-J War is not something I'm familiar with.

If you could somehow remove the enmity between the various descendants of Queen Victoria it could go some way to removing the causes of the First World War.

Improve Anglo-German relations, e.g. have a German cruiser rescue the passengers of the Titanic.

Escalate the incidents at the Doggerbank into a full scale Anglo-Russian war, temporarily neutralizing Russian power and likely turning it into a German ally in the long run.

Or simply do as Grey Wolf said ... ;)

Do You want to avoid any major conflict a la WWI or just the OTL WWI?

I'd like to avoid any war on a scale similar to otl. I'm trying to have the first half of the 20th Century as a relatively peaceful period so as to make a major conflict later on all the more shocking to the world as a whole and hopefully more destructive (resulting from a longer arms race between the european powers)

I'd like to avoid any war on a scale similar to otl. I'm trying to have the first half of the 20th Century as a relatively peaceful period so as to make a major conflict later on all the more shocking to the world as a whole and hopefully more destructive (resulting from a longer arms race between the european powers)

Well removing the ill will between Kaiser Wilhelm and Edward VII and George V would go a long way to ensure that. Although I fail to see how you could get a more destructive war without the use of NBC weapons. Why such an outcome would be sought after also escapes me.

Well removing the ill will between Kaiser Wilhelm and Edward VII and George V would go a long way to ensure that. Although I fail to see how you could get a more destructive war without the use of NBC weapons. Why such an outcome would be sought after also escapes me.

Who's to say those weapons wouldn't be developed? There would still be wars going on, just not on a world scale. IMO NBC's would still be developed eventually, just not as soon as OTL

As for why I want this result, my plan is to have the horrible aftermath of the major war create a international movement for peace, evntually leading to a united world government (think League of Nations but more sucessful)

Grey Wolf

Donor
Thanks alot Grey Wolf but could you clarify what you mean :confused:. Like I said, I'm very new to this and the R-J War is not something I'm familiar with.

Mainly to do with the Balkans - Russian weakness led to Austria-Hungary taking a chance on annexing Bosnia-Hercegovina which led to Russian loss of face and a Russian resolve not to be seen to be weak in the theatre again, hence in 1914 it led them to back Serbia beyond the point of no return and thus indirectly led to the war

Alternatively you could see of course the annexation of Bosnia-Hercegovina as having led directly to Franz Ferdinand's assassination - he wouldn't have gone to Sarajevo probably without it (B-H would have remained Austrian administered but not owned), Serbs would have been LESS pissed off than they were with Austria since B-H would still in theory be an issue to be resolved not one which has been resolved to their great loss etc

Plus, it precipitated the Young Turk revolution in the Ottoman Empire, led to the handing back by Austria of the Sanjak of Novi-Pazar which thus came into play in the Balkan Wars and was divided between Serbia and Montenegro, giving them a common border and thus making dreams of a greater Southern Slav state seem realistic

And more

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Improve Anglo-German relations, e.g. have a German cruiser rescue the passengers of the Titanic.

Escalate the incidents at the Doggerbank into a full scale Anglo-Russian war, temporarily neutralizing Russian power and likely turning it into a German ally in the long run.

I'll go with that. Probably it would help if Wilhelm II. gets seriously, SERIOUSLY ill. Preferably something psychic...

If you'd have an alliance between Germany, Austria and Britain in 1914, France and Russia wouldn't dare to start a war.

Another interesting choice: alienate Germany and Austria. This would leave Germany isolated and weak at first, and hence not that interested in a High Fleet but friendly towards Russia. And most of all: quiet and humble...

Stronger France

Historically, Britain sided against the strongest European power, in order to balance things out. If France were to embark on a massive arms build up while Germany took things slower (maybe no naval arms race?), Britain might have sided with Germany. All other events equal, Britain might be able to keep Germany on the sidelines of the Russo-Austrian conflict over Serbia and it developes as a minor regional feud. Far fetched? Maybe.

All other events equal, Britain might be able to keep Germany on the sidelines of the Russo-Austrian conflict over Serbia and it developes as a minor regional feud. Far fetched? Maybe.

Interesting though, maybe I could have Edward VII live a few more years and he could restrain his nephew the Kaiser.

Historically, Britain sided against the strongest European power, in order to balance things out. If France were to embark on a massive arms build up while Germany took things slower (maybe no naval arms race?).

Sorry to keep asking questions and sorry for the double post but what could provoke a French Arms buildup:confused::confused:

Franco-Prussian War

Remember that France was spanked by Prussia in the 1870s. Perhaps as a result of this there is a different post-1900 political leadership that builds up a navy and larger armies. If France had done this (especially the navy) Britain may have been concerned. If the Kaiser had decided not to challenge Britain with a naval arms race, but concentrated on its army, it would have been no particular threat to Britain. If the Kaiser had not broken with Bismarck this might have been more likely.

Interesting though, maybe I could have Edward VII live a few more years and he could restrain his nephew the Kaiser.

Kaiser Bill hated his uncle's guts, so don't bet on it.

Anyway, France becoming stronger than Germany at this point is ASB. So is having them concentrate their resources on the navy, since it was on land where the most dangerous discrepancy lied. The French navy would be largely useless against the Germans - unless they engage in their OTL naval build-up.

I personally think the best way to do it would be to entangle the alliances. Make the Great Powers' rivalries and friendships as paralyzing as possible. A Russo-German rapprochement for instance, perhaps caused by a Japanese threat to German interests in China, could make things interesting.

Last edited:
During the Mid -> 1800's Britian was concerned with a French Invasion, so the alliance of the 1900's is not a given.

1896?? Fashoda goes hot, while wiser heads prevail, and it remains a minor border incident, France is Humiliated at the loss.

1900 - POD. Militants/Nationalists take power in Election that year
1901 - France starts on a major reform and expansion of the Military
1905 - France's new military might elbows Germany away from Morocco.
1906 - Kiaser bill and Staff Alarmed with France's new Militarant stance, abandon the naval buildup, and concentrate on the Army.
190X - Britian and Germany, both alarmed about France begin moving closer.
191X - Britain and Germany talk Austria out of annexxing Serbia, encourage increasing Ecomonic and cultural Investment instead.
1914- Prince Ferdinad not killed. No war.
191X - increasing ties between France- Russia & Britian -Germany.
191X - Several countries start work on Armored Cars and Trucks
1920 - Interrupter Invented, First Fixed machine guns in Aircraft. continued work on Armored Vehicles.
192X - Great War begins. France-Russia v Germany-Britian.

During the Mid -> 1800's Britian was concerned with a French Invasion, so the alliance of the 1900's is not a given.

1896?? Fashoda goes hot, while wiser heads prevail, and it remains a minor border incident, France is Humiliated at the loss.

1900 - POD. Militants/Nationalists take power in Election that year
1901 - France starts on a major reform and expansion of the Military
1905 - France's new military might elbows Germany away from Morocco.
1906 - Kiaser bill and Staff Alarmed with France's new Militarant stance, abandon the naval buildup, and concentrate on the Army.
190X - Britian and Germany, both alarmed about France begin moving closer.
191X - Britain and Germany talk Austria out of annexxing Serbia, encourage increasing Ecomonic and cultural Investment instead.
1914- Prince Ferdinad not killed. No war.
191X - increasing ties between France- Russia & Britian -Germany.
191X - Several countries start work on Armored Cars and Trucks
1920 - Interrupter Invented, First Fixed machine guns in Aircraft. continued work on Armored Vehicles.
192X - Great War begins. France-Russia v Germany-Britian.

Looks like you may have a TL there :cool:

But I want to hold off a world war a bit longer than that.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Remember that France was spanked by Prussia in the 1870s. Perhaps as a result of this there is a different post-1900 political leadership that builds up a navy and larger armies. If France had done this (especially the navy) Britain may have been concerned. If the Kaiser had decided not to challenge Britain with a naval arms race, but concentrated on its army, it would have been no particular threat to Britain. If the Kaiser had not broken with Bismarck this might have been more likely.

Have the Comte de Chambord conveniently pop off so that in 1871 the French restore the Orleanist monarchy, which agrees to all constitutional proposals, under Philip VII

Best Regards
Grey Wolf