Why are there so few colonists in Africa?

In my American History classes, the only major colonies in Africa I have laerned about are South Africa, Algeria, and Egypt? Why were there no Pilgrims that went to Africa? Would weaker Moslem technology sent to African princes via Timbuktu enable more successful colonies? Could there have ever been more colonists, because thats where all of the potential slaves are? And could you make a POD and TL for it?

I have a few ideas: New plague brought by Europeans decimates African population, Guns of the Powhatan, or the Sahara is temporarily untransverseable for merchants.

Most of Africa wasn't colonized until 1885 and thereafter; so there was little time to go.

More importantly, there were no economic incentives to go to Africa. I mean, America, sure, you have all the stories about freedom, prosperous growing climate, all the land you could ever want, etc. There was none of that in Africa. There was no real reason for anyone to ever want to go to Africa.

Also; tribes. In Africa, indigenous tribes were never wiped out or integrated like they were in the Americas, so they posed a threat continually up until the present day.

Plague won't work, they were all connected by land so any plaque will simulataneously affect both of them.

Last edited:

MrP

Banned
I s'pose y'could try having the assorted diamond mines discovered earlier on, if ye want to spur colonisation.

The main reason that there weren't any real colonies in africa is that there wasnt any land that was terribly attractive to europeans bar south africa, and as Phillip pointed out there were tropical diseases (like sleeping disease) and their breeding grounds like swamps that made the majority of Africa unattractive to europeans. As well, the northern mediterranean coast of Africa was under the control of moslems that contested with the Europeans until the 1700's for control of the mediterranean. Thus Africa was not a good place to plant a colony. And for the record Egypt was not a colony it was a protectorate. North America was explored just as Africa was circumnavigated by the Europeans and it didnt have a lot of Africa's drawbacks but had the added attraction of terrain and flora and fauna that was at least semi familiar to the europeans and tribes that werent as close to the europeans in terms of technology.

What you have to do to get European colonisation in Africa is change its climate. Diseases matter, but they are mostly climate dependent - the main thing is that Europeans settle everywhere they can make their agricultural 'package' work (animal-draught plowing, strip fields, grain-based, vegetable-augmented diet, extensive pastoralism alongside). There arten't terribly many places in Africa where it does, and tellingly it is exactly those (Southern Africa, the East African plateau, North Africa's coastal highlands) that did see European colonisation on a large scale after their conquest.

Grey Wolf

Donor
While South Africa had rather a good climate for colonisation it was rather a heck of a long way away, so iommediate efforts went to nearer parts and failed, and once the New World was up and running it was a known and viable place whereas S Africa remained very much at the end of the world

Something like that

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

1. North Africa was already firmly Muslim.
2. Centeral Africa was rather hot for European crops and livestock, limiting large scale European settlement.
3. Southern Africa did get rather heavily settled.

ninebucks

Banned
East Africa is the only region that, realistically, could have been more settled than it was in OTL. Perhaps if a Suez canal was built during the Classical period, and survived indefinately - assuming this doesn't butterfly away European hegemony, then this would make it easier for the Europeans to reach the farmable terrain of Kenya and Zankaniki, rather than the much more malaria-prone regions of West Africa.

Not to mention a good bit of Africa is on a plateau. Just look at an elevation map and you'll see that. However, railroads did open the interior up.

And didn't Germany/Britain colonize Kenya a good bit? I remember that a lot of Jews went to Nairobi and the surrounding areas during WWII.

While Africa doesn't lend itself to well to the whole sodbusting thing, a good bit of it seems to be good for cattle ranching. Were any of the long-term colonial powers into that sort of thing?

While Africa doesn't lend itself to well to the whole sodbusting thing, a good bit of it seems to be good for cattle ranching. Were any of the long-term colonial powers into that sort of thing?

Again, the bits that are good for cattle were used for cattle. Once you get up beyond Zimbabwe it's tsetse fly area

Maybe if a different disease struck Europe (instead of the Black Death), it could also reach Africa, and wipe out most of the native tribes, right before the Europeans explore it.

As the African social system based on slavery is collapsed through the plague, somehow Portugese merchants take advantage, discover diamonds; and use them to fund wars in Europe, like OTL Spain did with gold from America.

Will other countries try to go to Africa, or will they head to America?

Maybe if a different disease struck Europe (instead of the Black Death), it could also reach Africa, and wipe out most of the native tribes, right before the Europeans explore it.

The Europeans will still need to restore their own population losses before colonising in large numbers, and I don't see how the African populations are at a disadvantage in this regard. Unless some freak accident of genetics creates a plague that is bad for Europeans, but absolutely hellish for Africans, the recovery curve will be broadly the same, and in terms of exposure and acquired resistance/immunity, Africa is actually at an advantage over Europe (except for respiratory infections which usually only kill in true virgin-soil scenarios).

As the African social system based on slavery is collapsed through the plague, somehow Portugese merchants take advantage, discover diamonds; and use them to fund wars in Europe, like OTL Spain did with gold from America.

Whoa, oversimplifying much! Some African polities would collapse, not least because (being essentially based on personal ties) they collapse more easily than territorial states of the Eurasian model. But especially 'tribal' rural societies are very resilient in the face of disaster. You won't see the collapse of society across the continent just because a large number of people died from disease - certainly not in the areas where megafauna is still present and huntable, but likely not even in areas where life depends on agriculture only.

Diamonds, I think, are problematic for several reasons, though they would be interesting. First, I can't recall any sub-Saharan African civilisation that actually used diamonds, which means locals aren't likely to show the conquerors where to find them. The deposits themselves are usually not conveniently coastal, so finding them would require either a systematic search (as per the nineteenth century) or a really lucky break. Secondly, diamonds aren't money. If diamonds - then a moderately popular, extremely rare gemstone - enter the European market in large numbers, they are liable to quickly saturate it. The Portuguese would probably have a good incventicve to sell them on the more receptive and richer South and East Asian markets, but it's still not the same as a money mine. Gold can be freely exchanged for anything, and an abundance affects the entire money market by creating inflation. Diamonds have to find a buyer, and abundance will only affect a small part of the gemstone market, creating glut.

Will other countries try to go to Africa, or will they head to America?

Given most European countries OTL tried both, I can't see why not. Of courese the American 'second best' bits might in the long run turn out the bigger prize, much like the British were disappointed the Dutch only left them bases on the boring Indian subcontinent and kept all of rich, glorious Indonesia for themselves.