Foods banned in Christain based civilisations

Foods banned in Christian based civilisations

Considering the Jews & Muslams have numerous foods forbidden to them, pork being one that immediately comes to mind, what if God commanded, to the early Christians, that certain foods would be likewise forbidden instead of such restrictions being dropped.

So what would these banned foods be & why?

Discuss

Last edited:
There was a conference with the remaining Apostles where they discussed (Among other things) what they could or could not eat. I believe the lack of a ban on any sort of food (Providing it hadn't been strangled) came from there. The fact that Jesus never gave any Commandment concerning food also gave rise to the 'why shouldn't we eat pork?' view.

There was a conference with the remaining Apostles where they discussed (Among other things) what they could or could not eat. I believe the lack of a ban on any sort of food (Providing it hadn't been strangled) came from there. The fact that Jesus never gave any Commandment concerning food also gave rise to the 'why shouldn't we eat pork?' view.

Yes, I know. St Peter even had a vision on the issue.

But here the POD is God or Jesus said the opposite, either to St Peter, in his vision, or whilst Jesus walked amongst them

But here the POD is God or Jesus said the opposite, either to St Peter, in his vision, or whilst Jesus walked amongst them
But, that wasn't a literal commandment that meant:
"Peter, you can disregard all those food related laws in the Tora."
It meant, in metaphor:
"Peter, Christians aren't Gentile, or Jew, they're just plain, old, Christians."

But, that wasn't a literal commandment that meant:
"Peter, you can disregard all those food related laws in the Tora."
It meant, in metaphor:
"Peter, Christians aren't Gentile, or Jew, they're just plain, old, Christians."

Nevertheless, like everything else, it's all about interpretation... ;)

For a moment I thought that the title of the thread was "Food banned in Christian based civilizations". Such civilizations would, I assume, be short-lived. :eek:;)

Blackwood

Banned
Well, I suppose, you could always change the result of that discussion on a foods ban, but that would be too easy.

If you take Protestantism and reform out of the mix, heck, no meat on Friday's not just us, but for everybody.

I can just imagine the sign at the deli...

CLOSED:

By God's Will

:D

MrP

Banned

Yeah, there's a legitimate question mark in my head over whether that's an accurate recording of events or whether it came as part of a power struggle in early Christianity between recent converts from paganism and converts from Judaism who'd lived with such restrictions all their lives. The removal of dietary restrictions and circumcision and so on really opened the floodgates for new converts.

Not that it makes any bally difference to a vegan, anyway. There's precious little chance of me eating shellfish or anyone who's been cooked in his mother's milk. ;)

We used to be supposed to have fish instead of meat on Fridays,* if that helps. And then there's the Lenten fast, of course.

* Leading to some bizarre get-out clauses about puffins being fish. :rolleyes:

Oh about fish on Fridays - and Lent for that matter - it doesn't apply to we Protestants, unless SnowyFox's scenario plays out :eek:

The only New Testament food restrictions i can think of are against meat sacrificed to idols and blood. That hasn't prevented people from eating blood sausage and black pudding.

I am not aware of any Biblical basis for the majority of the fasts observed during medieval times. From that, i would say that dietary changes would not have to be by the express command of God. Or even phrased as such.

Daniel (in the book of Daniel) praises a vegetarian diet. Monks were ideally almost vegetarians. I think the rule of most orders only allowed fish. I wonder if this could become a little more widespread. Perhaps an early church leader champions a vegetarian diet.