DB challenge: Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to make Croatia, Slovenia and Slovakia independent by the present day with a POD no earlier than 1925.

Greater-Serbian Yugoslavia collapses in 1935, aided by Italy, which turns Croatia and Slovenia into its client states, which they pretty much stay to this day.
In 1938, Germany partitions Czechoslovakia on time, but they are not reunited after WW2; instead Slovakia goes to the Sovjets and Czechia stay in the western hemisphere. Then the cold war sees to it that they grow apart. After 1995, they do not reunite.

You call that a POD? C'mon! The Czecks and the Slovaks, that I can somewhat see. How can you separate present-day Karelia from Austria, Dalmatia from Italy, and Slavonia from Hungary?

Well, to think of it, the primary reason why they are there right now is the fear of communism after WWII. Maybe if the Soviets advanced further into Western Europe may do it, but having them going as far as Berlin is bordering to ASB territory.

You call that a POD? C'mon! The Czecks and the Slovaks, that I can somewhat see. How can you separate present-day Karelia from Austria, Dalmatia from Italy, and Slavonia from Hungary?

Well, to think of it, the primary reason why they are there right now is the fear of communism after WWII. Maybe if the Soviets advanced further into Western Europe may do it, but having them going as far as Berlin is bordering to ASB territory.

OOC : :eek::eek::eek: Holy Sh... [radio static]

How can you separate present-day Karelia from Austria, Dalmatia from Italy, and Slavonia from Hungary?

OOC: We're speaking from a TL that has a POD in 1925 at the earliest. These separations have already happened, the question is separating Croatia and Slovenia from Yugoslavia.

Not so sure about it! Remember Churchill was very opposed to a landing in France in 1943 and tried to push for a socalled "mediterranean strategy", means landing in North Africa, Italy and the Balkan. If he hadn´t had his stroke in 1942 we propably would see a very different VE in 1944, with Allied Troops standing in Belgrad, Budapest and Bukarest and the soviets standing at the Rhine.
And the Tschetniks in Serbia wwasn´t really interested in Slovenia and would propably allow a mini-Croatia "as far as you can see from the tower of the Zagreb-Cathedral"

OOC: We're speaking from a TL that has a POD in 1925 at the earliest. These separations have already happened, the question is separating Croatia and Slovenia from Yugoslavia.

OOC: Don't worry about it. I already acknowledged that there was a Yugoslavia in the 20's and 30's. Just messing around with the TL, that's all;)

freivolk said:
Not so sure about it! Remember Churchill was very opposed to a landing in France in 1943 and tried to push for a socalled "mediterranean strategy", means landing in North Africa, Italy and the Balkan. If he hadn´t had his stroke in 1942 we propably would see a very different VE in 1944, with Allied Troops standing in Belgrad, Budapest and Bukarest and the soviets standing at the Rhine.
And the Tschetniks in Serbia wwasn´t really interested in Slovenia and would propably allow a mini-Croatia "as far as you can see from the tower of the Zagreb-Cathedral"

Alright, so that takes care of an independent Croatia, though the problem of most of Dalmatia being in Italy and Slavonia to Serbia/Hungary would still remain. And I doubt that Slovenia would become independent, since it would still be absorbed by Austria as what happened.

Perhaps, what would happen if Italy did not defect in the middle of the war? After all, that's why they have Dalmatia in the first place. And the only reason why an independent Slovenia/Carinthia is not viable right now is because if they were to declare independence from Austria, the port of Trieste and the Littoral would revert to Italy as per the Treaty of Buenos Aires. If Italy did not defect, then that (slap in the wrist for starting the war) clause wouldn't be there, and we may have an independent Carinthia. And on top of that, the Croats might gain Dalmatia.

Now, the challenge is how we could have Italy not to defect in the middle of the war.

OOC: Don't worry about it. I already acknowledged that there was a Yugoslavia in the 20's and 30's. Just messing around with the TL, that's all;)

Alright, so that takes care of an independent Croatia, though the problem of most of Dalmatia being in Italy and Slavonia to Serbia/Hungary would still remain. And I doubt that Slovenia would become independent, since it would still be absorbed by Austria as what happened.

Perhaps, what would happen if Italy did not defect in the middle of the war? After all, that's why they have Dalmatia in the first place. And the only reason why an independent Slovenia/Carinthia is not viable right now is because if they were to declare independence from Austria, the port of Trieste and the Littoral would revert to Italy as per the Treaty of Buenos Aires. If Italy did not defect, then that (slap in the wrist for starting the war) clause wouldn't be there, and we may have an independent Carinthia. And on top of that, the Croats might gain Dalmatia.

Now, the challenge is how we could have Italy not to defect in the middle of the war.

Propably it still defects but under differnt circumstences. With the allies follosing Churchills "Mediterrainien strategy" we will propably see a Allied landing in Italy in Spring 1943, to a time as Mussolini was still in charge. Even if his assasination isn´t butterflied away, I think the new italian goverment will have no option left to surrender unconditional, especialy if a german Invasion in the North is possible. (Remember: no D-Day in May 1943, so the Germans still have reserves, which they hadn´t in OTL in Oktober 1943 as Italy switched sides)