Indian name for Australia?

Thande

Donor
Given the zillions of languages spoken in southern India, a bit difficult to say...

Also, what bit of it they find will probably influence the name they give to it (lush vs. deserty).

They are probably likely to find the Northern Shore, which is fairly tropical. So probably some word in Sanskrit or Tamil meaning "far away southern paradise/forest/island/etc." would be my opinion. But I am not sure.

Well, I played around looking for some words in Telugu for "desert" - there were six of them, and the online source did not give any connotations, but the most impressive-sounding one looks like "Marusthala."

I apologize if somebody who actually knows the language says that this really denotes "kitty litter." Here in Indiana, our second-favorite leisure activity (after basketball) is butchering foreign languages! :D

Well Makassarian fishermen from Sulawesi who visited northern Australia called it Marege, so the Indians could adopt that name...

The next question is how. Not that I'm saying that it is impossible. It's just that it means we would need to make another drama in order to make it happen....

BTW, is there anybody here who knows that the name we're now using to call this continent is actually derived from the Ambonese ? ;):eek::p:D

The next question is how. Not that I'm saying that it is impossible. It's just that it means we would need to make another drama in order to make it happen....

I was thinking something like Indian sailors go east along OTL Indonesia and via their contacts with the people there - including Makassarians - learn about the land to the south and travel there. They adopt the Makassar name because it's the first one they have for the place.

I was thinking something like Indian sailors go east along OTL Indonesia and via their contacts with the people there - including Makassarians - learn about the land to the south and travel there. They adopt the Makassar name because it's the first one they have for the place.

Possible. But there is actually a chance for the Indians to find the place by themselves...

Usually? I'm sure there could be one Indian captain who could use a name like that! :p

Or it's a Tamil-speaking European captain working for a south Indian government...