More Reasonable Intolerable Acts?

Could the British, in the years leading up to the ARW, have perhaps reduced the taxes they levied aginst the colonists? That way, dissent would not have been as high, and perhaps the Revolutionary War could have been avoided?

Discuss.

Philip

Donor
It would take more than that. By 1774, things are already in motion. Some in the Patriot Movement are likely to try to provoke a war regardless of what the Crown does.

It would take more than that. By 1774, things are already in motion. Some in the Patriot Movement are likely to try to provoke a war regardless of what the Crown does.

Well, thats why I'm saying if the taxes had initially been lower, they colonists would not have been so flustered, so perhaps no Boston Tea Party, so no occupation of Boston er whatever, and thus the colonists are more pleased with Britain. I never said the POD was 1774?!

Come on, 71 views and only two responses-one of them from myself? SUrely you people must be more interested?!

Well, the intolerable acts weren't THAT intolerable, the colonists were just PO'd at having to pay taxes they didn't agree too.

Well, the intolerable acts weren't THAT intolerable, the colonists were just PO'd at having to pay taxes they didn't agree too.

"Taxation without Representation"

Locke, I must note something: In the famous book by Niccolo Machievelli, titled The Prince, he said that all governments will lose power if they cannot keep direct power to their people. In this case, colonies, under his idea in 1505, would always collapse to independant states since they dont feel respected as much as the home country.

Don't give the Ohio River Valley over to the natives in the Royal Proclimation of 1763 and the revolt in the 13 colonies becomes extremely unlikely. The lack of space to expand into drove up the price of land in the 13 colonies, so the revolt happened.