Italy in the Central Powers

Grey Wolf

Donor
Well, Germany pressurised Austria-Hungary to offer Gorizia and as much of the Istrian borders as they could to entice Italy in, so your scenario assumes that Italy agreed

Immediate note is that the Goeben now has a home base, whilst the British warships around Sicily are suddenly in enemy waters

In addition, Goeben plus the Italian fleet may well be strong enough to interfere with the transfer of French forces from Algiers which might even mean that one sees the fall of Paris

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
It might be the 20th century's equivalent of the 6 Weeks War, the short victorious war that Germany thought it would be... Would everyone carry on fighting for the Hell of it ? Would the British public stand for it if Paris has fallen and France is looking shaky ? Would the stabilisation of the markets that LG managed in August 1914 happen, or would a financial crash paralyse Britain ?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Susano

Banned
Well, Germany pressurised Austria-Hungary to offer Gorizia and as much of the Istrian borders as they could to entice Italy in, so your scenario assumes that Italy agreed

Not necessarily, or would it? I mean, is it mot maybe theoretcially possible to have a France more looking out for Savoy and Ncie instead of Tyrole, Istria and Dalmatia?

Even if the troops from Algeria are able to get into Paris, one needs to put into the mix the Italian troops which would be coming from the alps. So perhaps this gives the CP the manpower they need, in the early days, to win.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Not necessarily, or would it? I mean, is it mot maybe theoretcially possible to have a France more looking out for Savoy and Ncie instead of Tyrole, Istria and Dalmatia?

Well, yes, but I was looking at June/July 1914 as the POD for this, so Italy accepting is the best chance

The computer is sneezing !

Eek !

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Even if the troops from Algeria are able to get into Paris, one needs to put into the mix the Italian troops which would be coming from the alps. So perhaps this gives the CP the manpower they need, in the early days, to win.

I don't think the Italians would be doing MUCH coming, they would probably probe a bit and wander around and discover its a damn good defensive position for the French, BUT France would have to divert some forces there, more than in OTL

However, if Italy tried to invade via Haute Savoie I believe that Switzerland has to declare war on them

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Riain

Banned
The A/H battlefleet moves to Taranto, and with the Italian navy is able to move around the Italian coast at will. The RN would have to strengthen their Med fleet to counter this threat, perhaps giving the HSF the reduction in superiority they needed.____________ On land, an attack into Savoy may rob France of the forces which allowed the entente to win the Race to the Sea. The war will still be a long one, but that much more problematic for the Entente.

I don't think the Italians would be doing MUCH coming, they would probably probe a bit and wander around and discover its a damn good defensive position for the French, BUT France would have to divert some forces there, more than in OTL

However, if Italy tried to invade via Haute Savoie I believe that Switzerland has to declare war on them

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

True, but we know such things in hindsight. At the time would the French really leave an entire front unmanned? Let's say they have it defend yet have to pull back to defend France, wouldn't the Italians see that as the moment to move out? I am not saying a mighty wave would come over the Alps, but if an enemy is runing away what General wouldn't run forward to claim land unfought for?

Italy in the CP gives the Austrians a major break on their flank and will cause a shift towards Nice, this time with Rommel possibly leading Italians and Austrians together. France doesn't have the manpower that early in the war to do much, I suspect the Italians will eventually break through and threaten (if not take) large chunks of southeastern France. The CP will probably win the war in 1915, especially if they are having to deal with an Italian navy that can threaten Gibralter, Malta, and encourage revolution in Egypt. Perhaps the border moves to the Rhone with Marseilles as a free city?

Grey Wolf

Donor
I'm pretty sure that France DID have the front covered in OTL - sure, they are going to want to reinforce it somewhat, but I don't think its going to be that much of a drain. Its excellent defensive terrain and all the French have to do is sit there.

btw I wasn't joking about Switzerland !

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
What would a Front in Switzerland entail?

Well, IIRC the treaty ceding Haute Savoie from Italy to France stipulated that the area had to remain demilitarised including in time of war, and that if not Switzerland would declare war on the violator - something like that ! My memory's shot, as people know

If Italy invades that way, or if France tries to fortify it, either way they RISK Switzerland attacking them - of course the Swiss might suddenly find an excuse not to honour their obligations, like the Greeks did with the Serbs

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Rocano

Banned
I though Italy would invade from their border with SE France and capture Corsica. After laying siege to Marseilles Italians would help bring the Fall of France.

I though Italy would invade from their border with SE France and capture Corsica.

Yeah, if they try to take Corsica they're likely to get in a Gallipoli type situation. Except the French and British fleets outnumber theirs, making this suicide.

After laying siege to Marseilles Italians would help bring the Fall of France.

The Italians couldn't get to Trieste in three years, how are they supposed to get to Nice, let alone Marseilles?

Grey Wolf

Donor
i meant naval siege

Problem is dont the Italians and the French have naval parity ? I can't see the Austrians operating away from the Adriatic, sure maybe base some advance units further South but their focus would be EAST. Also, France has very advanced naval warfare plans against the Italians including some of the best and best-trained submarines in the world in this theatre

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

i meant naval siege

Blockade? But the Royal Navy and the French outnumber the Italian fleet by nearly 2 to 1! Even if you add the Austrian fleet and subtract a couple Entente ships due to submarine and mine losses, the CP fleet is not going to go on anything more than a limited foray.