Y2k Bug Actually happens?

Y2K bug was a clicking time bomb for all major computer applications. The computer and system application companies came out with year 2000 compliant operating systems and system software. IT companies around the world spent billions of dollars to go through their entire application source code to look for the Y2K bug and fix it. Almost everybody raced around to make themselves Y2K compliant before the fast approaching deadline. Finally when the big day came, many utilities and other companies switched off their main computers and put the backup computers on work. When the clock ticked Jan 1, 2000, no major problems were reported. Almost every bank worked fine, no major power outages were reported, airplanes still flew and the whole world went on with its normal life.

What if the danger of Y2k was not taken seriously and on the first day of the new year, all computer systems went haywire? Where would we be now, 7 years on?

Well if worst case scenario take place the arab can take over the world as they don't use the same calendar than us :D (well I don't know if that apply to their computer but anyway)

I'm guessing they probably had imported American goods. But I suppose less developed nations would actually have an advantage, ironically.

What if the danger of Y2k was not taken seriously and on the first day of the new year, all computer systems went haywire? Where would we be now, 7 years on?
[/font]

Was there ever really any proof that Y2K was such a big deal? I heard that it was mostly wasted effort.

Was there ever really any proof that Y2K was such a big deal? I heard that it was mostly wasted effort.

The Y2K scares did a lot of good by pushing people to modernize their systems where otherwise they might not have. A lot of unnecessary things were upgraded, but so were most mission-critical things. If not for the scare, it's possible that some systems would've gone without upgrades, potentially causing problems.

The Y2K scares did a lot of good by pushing people to modernize their systems where otherwise they might not have. A lot of unnecessary things were upgraded, but so were most mission-critical things. If not for the scare, it's possible that some systems would've gone without upgrades, potentially causing problems.

But that doesn't mean that there would have been a civilization-ending crash in the year 2000, which is what this thread is about.

As a note of curiosity, in one spanish newspaper that in 2000 analized the 2000 computer effect or Y2K bug about that in general there was minor problems, the only country that according that newspaper (IIRC was "El Periodico de Cataluña") reported some king of medium-big problems was Gambia. (I remember this even now because I found it some kind of shocking that at the end the only country that had some kind of true problems was that little african nation).

While putting this last post I decided to make some research in Internet to see if El Periodico and my memory are right.

Yes the two are correct:D: "The country of Gambia has its infrastructure hard hit by the Y2K bug.1 Gambia declared Monday, January 3, a non-working day to reduce pressure on its crippled services. " the article where I found this have some interesting information about other effects of the Y2K bug
http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/570/

While putting this last post I decided to make some research in Internet to see if El Periodico and my memory are right.

Yes the two are correct:D: "The country of Gambia has its infrastructure hard hit by the Y2K bug.1 Gambia declared Monday, January 3, a non-working day to reduce pressure on its crippled services. " the article where I found this have some interesting information about other effects of the Y2K bug
http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/570/

So Gambia didn't prepare and was crippled. Does this mean that if people hadn't prepared elsewhere a computer crippling crunch would have hit the world?