Challenge: the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies unite Italy

Thande

Donor
How could the catalyst for Italian unification in the 19th century have come from the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, rather than the Kingdom of Sardinia?

Ferdinand of Bourbon performs better than IOTL would be the obvious answer

He was not a bad guy per se, but the continuous conspiracies and a certain personal lazyness derailed him.

It's not easy anyway: to unify Italy climbing up along the peninsula is certainly much harder than putting together the north, and then coming down.

Have a look at the Talleyrand Plan. ITTL, Ferdinand is a better man and king; still he follows the lead of Intermaria/Tuscany

Grey Wolf

Donor
It gets harder when there are other kingdoms in the equation. I realise of course that Sardinia was ALWAYS there as a kingdom, but until after Vienna, Savoy's main status was a dukedom, that happened to have the kingship of Sardinia attached. Whilst in essence Piedmont-Sardinia was still this (Piedmont not being a kingdom) after Vienna, its ruler became increasingly seen as the major king of the North. And after Vienna, the Viceroyalties of Lombardy and Venetia emphasised formal Habsburg power over these domains as sub-kingdoms of the new Austrian Empire.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Actually, the dukes of Savoy got the kingdom of Sicily at the end of the Spanish succession war, in 1708.
Later in 1720 they swapped it with Sardinia.
Now a good POD would be if they don't go for the swap

http://www.tacitus.nu/historical-atlas/regents/italy/savoy.htm

1720 if I understood the question right :)

But of course, BEFORE then SOMEONE ELSE had Sardinia... I remember it was part of Aragon's crown at one point...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

It was given to Austria, who swaped it for Sicily. If someone else (like a cadet branch of the Habsburgs, or even the Spanish Bourbons) was designated king of Naples-Sicily-Sardinia, one could see a Kingdom of the Three Sicilies.