UCS Map Thread Proposal

Thande

Donor
One reason why I originally created the UCS - which has of course been far improved and added to over my first version by many other people in the map threads - is so world maps of different timelines could be compared and one would instantly have a feeling of what had happened.

I do not think UCS maps should be used as the chief means of representing a timeline, however, because the choice of colours should always be made to give the greatest range of contrasts and artistic loveliness for that specific map. UCS maps should always be a secondary use.

Therefore, I am proposing this thread for two reasons -

1. The proper Map Thread II is getting saturated with UCS maps, which was never my intention, so this can be a place for UCS maps, and
  2. I want a thread where we can make UCS world maps of some of the best-known and most developed timelines, such as Decades of Darkness, Monarchy World etc., and then (perhaps using the Wiki) put them so the TLs can be directly compared by that means with each other and OTL.

Thoughts?

One reason why I originally created the UCS - which has of course been far improved and added to over my first version by many other people in the map threads - is so world maps of different timelines could be compared and one would instantly have a feeling of what had happened.

I do not think UCS maps should be used as the chief means of representing a timeline, however, because the choice of colours should always be made to give the greatest range of contrasts and artistic loveliness for that specific map. UCS maps should always be a secondary use.

1. The proper Map Thread II is getting saturated with UCS maps, which was never my intention, so this can be a place for UCS maps, and
  2. I want a thread where we can make UCS world maps of some of the best-known and most developed timelines, such as Decades of Darkness, Monarchy World etc., and then (perhaps using the Wiki) put them so the TLs can be directly compared by that means with each other and OTL.
Thoughts?
Wonderful idea. Though there do seem to be less UCS maps lately.

Sounds good.
Seeing that I still have the base files for the Weimar World maps, I guess I'll give them a rework and go tomorrow.

What is the most up to date version of the UCS, btw?

What is the most up to date version of the UCS, btw?

here is my UCS, ive used it multiple times, though it is still pretty incomplete.

00 Map Key.PNG

Thande

Donor
Very nice synthesis :cool:, although as I've said, I'm not sure about the ancient/modern transition for some of them.

ok, ive done some work on it, and here's what i came up with.
how do you all like?
Many of the following comments I'm going to make I'm fairly sure have been voiced elsehwere by others, and I therefore don't want to that credit for all of them:
1. Austria's Color should be noted as Austria/Habsburg Lands as often times it is used to denote a Germany united by Austria or Hungary when a Habsburg actually retains the throne after WWI.

2. Communist China and Carthage's colors are incredibly similar.

3. Turkey's color is far to dark.

4. Rome should be represented by Italy/Sardina's color seeing as they're almost the same anyway.

5. The Byznatine Empire and Greece should have the same color, seeing as they are generally in the same location and have never existed at the same time, plus Serbia and Byzantium have existed at the same time.

6. Why does Iraq need a color?

7. Ghana's color is again terribly dark.

8. Ireland and Scotland should have different colors, generally if one needs a color it is because it's independent and has over seas colonies, the other it also probably independent, and possibly has over seas colonies.

9. Why does Zaire need a color?

10. Rumaina and Greece's colors are incredibly similar.

11. Hungary's color is too dark.

12. Native America is too vague.

13. Why does Nazi Germany need its own color? Why can't is just be the German Gray?

14. If we're gonna give Korea a color we can't have both the North and South using the same color and therefore it shouldn't be denoted as such.

Thoughts?

A good idea, but perhaps you should check with the makers of the maps to see if they want to have thier maps done in the UCS. Because I don't. I refuse consent to the maps I made for Decades of Darkness maps done in the UCS.

Many of the following comments I'm going to make I'm fairly sure have been voiced elsehwere by others, and I therefore don't want to that credit for all of them:
1. Austria's Color should be noted as Austria/Habsburg Lands as often times it is used to denote a Germany united by Austria or Hungary when a Habsburg actually retains the throne after WWI.

2. Communist China and Carthage's colors are incredibly similar.

3. Turkey's color is far to dark.

4. Rome should be represented by Italy/Sardina's color seeing as they're almost the same anyway.

5. The Byznatine Empire and Greece should have the same color, seeing as they are generally in the same location and have never existed at the same time, plus Serbia and Byzantium have existed at the same time.

6. Why does Iraq need a color?

7. Ghana's color is again terribly dark.

8. Ireland and Scotland should have different colors, generally if one needs a color it is because it's independent and has over seas colonies, the other it also probably independent, and possibly has over seas colonies.

9. Why does Zaire need a color?

10. Rumaina and Greece's colors are incredibly similar.

11. Hungary's color is too dark.

12. Native America is too vague.

13. Why does Nazi Germany need its own color? Why can't is just be the German Gray?

14. If we're gonna give Korea a color we can't have both the North and South using the same color and therefore it shouldn't be denoted as such.
That's what I've been saying.

Yay! Someone agrees with me!

Here is my UCS:

EDIT: I just realized the colours seem darker than ususal. I will fix that.

EDIT: fixed.

Key lighter.PNG

Last edited:
A good idea, but perhaps you should check with the makers of the maps to see if they want to have thier maps done in the UCS. Because I don't. I refuse consent to the maps I made for Decades of Darkness maps done in the UCS.

Good heavens, it's just a matter of colours! Calm down, sir, calm down! :rolleyes:

Okay, okay, new idea - we make our own maps of the DoD TL, and do them in the UCS. You can't complain about that, now, can you?