AH challenge: Lee Kwan Yew a major world statesman

Hendryk

Banned
"One of the asymmetries of history is the lack of correspondence between the abilities of some leaders and the power of their countries."
--Henry Kissinger on Lee Kwan Yew

"Had Lee Kwan Yew lived in another time and another place, he might have attained the world stature of a Churchill, a Disraeli, or a Gladstone."
--Richard Nixon

Since I'm currently in Singapore, it's only fitting that I offer this AH challenge to the board's imagination. Come up with a plausible way to make Lee Kwan Yew a major world statesman. The POD can be at any date in the 20th century, though the circumstances surrounding Lee's birth in 1923 and his subsequent upbringing have to remain identical, since this has to be the same individual as in OTL.

From Time Magazine:

Born Sept. 16, 1923 in Singapore
1947 Begins studying law at Cambridge
1954 Founds People's Action Party
1959 Sworn in as Prime Minister of Singapore
1961 Economic Development Board established to attract foreign companies
1965 Singapore breaks away from Federation of Malaysia
1990 Steps down as Prime Minister and becomes Senior Minister

Lee Kuan Yew towers over other Asian leaders on the international stage, yet he comes from one of Asia's smallest countries. A champion of Asian values, he is most un-Asian in his frank and confrontational style. Lee loves Singapore but has relatively few close Singaporean friends or confidants. He is a man of great intelligence, with no patience for mediocrity; a man of integrity, with an relentless urge to smite opponents; a man who devours foreign news but has little tolerance for a disrespectful press at home.

What really sets this complex man apart from Asia's other nation-builders is what he didn't do: he did not become corrupt, and he did not stay in power too long. Mao, Suharto, Marcos and Ne Win left their countries on the verge of ruin with no obvious successor. Lee left Singapore with a per capita GDP of $14,000 (it's now $22,000), his reputation gilt-edged and an entire tier of second-generation leaders to take over when he stepped down in 1990. Lee now basks in the wisdom of seniority, a latter-day Doge whose views continue to be sought by statesmen and commentators who travel from all over the world to pay court to him in Singapore.

It is difficult to view Lee on his own, distinct from Singapore. James Minchin, who wrote one of the most balanced biographies of Lee, titled the book No Man Is an Island: A Study of Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew. But in many ways Lee is the island, embodying in his character all the insecurity, vulnerability, emotional detachment, arrogance and restless energy that also characterize Singapore. His life has shaped and been shaped by the small territory at the tip of the Malaysian peninsula that he made first into a country, and then a rich country. He had few interests outside his work. He did not even keep a diary--"To do so would have inhibited my work," he comments drily in the preface to his autobiography. His legacy is Singapore, no more and no less. He cried at its inception, in a televised press conference the day the enforced separation from Malaysia was announced in 1965. His emotions were more under control the day in 1990 when he stepped down as Prime Minister, but still he could not pry himself loose entirely, and the job of Senior Minister was created for him.

For Lee lives by the conflict theory of management: you either dominate or are dominated. He knows all about being dominated, both under British colonial rule and, more brutally, during the Japanese occupation. In his memoirs he relates how he was slapped and forced to kneel in front of a Japanese soldier for having failed to bow to the man while crossing a bridge. When it became Lee's turn to dominate, he used the full force of his personality, and the law, to fight his opponents. Some ended up in jail or bankrupt. Contradicting Lee became synonymous with being disloyal to Singapore, so hermetic was the identification between man and principality.

His ancestors were Hakka, the Chinese tribesmen who migrated from northern China to Fujian and have a reputation for pugnacity and clannishness. Lee was a third generation Straits Chinese, however, and grew up speaking Malay, English and the Cantonese dialect of his family's maid. Ever the pragmatist, he was later to teach himself Japanese, Mandarin and Hokkien as the political situation in Singapore required. During the Japanese occupation of Singapore he worked for a Japanese government propaganda department--although it has long been rumored that he was secretly passing intelligence to the British.

His education was English, first at Singapore's Raffles College, where he studied English with mathematics and economics. Then it was on to Cambridge, where he learned English law and English self-assurance, deftly taking a double first in the former and a double helping of the latter. He disliked the English while admiring their way of doing things--he had similar if more extreme feelings about the Japanese--and after Cambridge he ditched the Anglicized "Harry Lee" for his original Chinese name, though many of his English friends continue to use it to this day.

This complicated amalgam of Chinese instincts and English training came back to Singapore in 1950 to start practicing law, but he quickly found his true vocation in the tumultuous politics of the time. Fists flying, he immersed himself in a world of communists, labor organizers, gangsters and intelligence operatives, emerging in 1959 as Prime Minister--with his enemies all knocked out of the ring. That was the way he would keep things throughout his political life.

While flooring any political challenger who dared to climb through the ropes, he set about building one of Asia's economic Tigers with relentless energy. He courted multinational investors to upgrade the economy from mass manufacturing to high-tech industry. He built the region's finest infrastructure of airport, port, roads and communications networks. He established a public housing system and the Central Provident Fund savings pool that gave every citizen a stake in the system. He virtually abolished crime--and jukeboxes--and developed Asia's best health and education systems.

Lee's penchant for control extends to his own physical environment. He admits to being very sensitive to heat and humidity, has hailed the air-conditioner as one of mankind's great inventions, and likes to live his entire waking life at 22 degrees C (reduced to 19 degrees C at night while sleeping). On the rare occasions when his grand plans have failed to come off, the circumstances were usually beyond his control. He was one of the first to recognize China's potential under Deng Xiaoping's reforms. But he also learned how treacherous it is to deal with the mainland--his dream project to combine Singaporean know-how with Chinese labor in an industrial park in Suzhou foundered on the very rocks of corruption, nepotism and avarice that he had warned about all his life in other contexts.

But even as he obsessively pruned, trimmed and weeded the Garden City, Lee would never shed his lifelong sense of insecurity, his feeling that it could all be taken away with one uncontrollable spasm of social upheaval or regional chaos. Because of Singapore's size, its paucity of natural resources and the nature of its neighbors, Lee knew he could never fully be master of the island's destiny. Perhaps this in the end is what helped to prevent Lee from becoming too autocratic, providing him with a small taste of humility every time he looked at a map and saw that the creation of one of Asia's most brilliant statesmen was, in the words of a much lesser man, just "a small red dot" in Southeast Asia.

How do you define his "upbringing". The place that he was born in ? The place where he was raised in ? That clause is rather ambiguous .

The only way I can concieve of him as a major global statesman is if he somehow ended up in China after graduating from Cambridge .

Hendryk

Banned
That clause is rather ambiguous .
It's a fairly standard one. He must have been born and spent his first years of life as in OTL, though that doesn't preclude an earlier POD so long as his immediate environment isn't noticeably affected.

The only way I can concieve of him as a major global statesman is if he somehow ended up in China after graduating from Cambridge .
That's one of the more obvious options. You're welcome to give it further thought.

I personally had Lee Kwan Yew (or Li Guangyao as I prefer to spell his name) become prime minister of an alternate Federation of Malaysia--that included Singapore but left out Sarawak--in my "Superpower Empire" TL. So he was in charge of a medium-sized country instead of a city-state; see Flocculencio's story "Sinosphere?". But here I want to see specifically how much prominence he can attain in a best-case, or nearly so, yet plausible scenario.

The begin would be that Singapore stays part of Malaysia. Other states might join afterwards.

Theoretically we could try to go on until all the states in SE Asia are united under him, but that'd be Lee Kwan Yew-wank (our first example! :D).

Although it's an idea - the states there form a block as a counterweight against China, Japan and India.

Hendryk

Banned
The begin would be that Singapore stays part of Malaysia. Other states might join afterwards.

Theoretically we could try to go on until all the states in SE Asia are united under him, but that'd be Lee Kwan Yew-wank (our first example! :D).
You're on to something. Taking over all of south-east Asia would require fairly unlikely developments, but starting with Malaysia and, say, having the Dutch East Indies botch their independence process and fall apart, leaving the archipelago to be annexed a few islands at a time (Java would probably be last if it's annexed at all--subduing the large population might not be worth the trouble). Then Papua New Guinea for good measure. And then this Greater Malaysia spearheads a regional movement of economic and political integration, like a more ambitious version of ASEAN, possibly with a military element given the geopolitical volatility of the area.

Anyone who feels like fleshing this out is welcome to. But there may be other possibilities...

Hendryk

Banned
As a corollary to the above post, I thought of something: Greater Malaysia could become the primary destination of south-east Asia's stream of refugees from the late 1960s to the late 1970s: the various Chinese communities from Indochina to begin with; then the South Vietnamese fleeing their country's takeover; then the Laotian and Cambodian middle classes, escaping persecution in one case and genocide in the other. All those populations would amount to at least a couple of million people, most of them with professional and/or entrepreneurial skills, and they would contribute to reducing the Malay share of Greater Malaysia's population. One may also expect a steady stream of migration from India as well, and, from the early 1980s, mainland China.

That could work... Lee Kwan Yew a British PM?

For a hat trick have him do it at the head of the Liberal party- a non-white, non-British Liberal PM :D

It might be the only way he could do it- Old Labour would not have liked his middle-class anti-communist stance and I doubt the Conservatives would have accepted a non-white leader before the 90's

Hendryk

Banned
For a hat trick have him do it at the head of the Liberal party- a non-white, non-British Liberal PM :D
His slogan: "Putting Britain back to work" ;)

So when would that happen? I suppose between the late 1960s and the early 1980s. In order to really make a difference, he'd have to serve at least a decade.

But could he do the same he did to Singapore if he was the head of government in a state that doesn't always vote for the same party?

But could he do the same he did to Singapore if he was the head of government in a state that doesn't always vote for the same party?

Well Thatcher pulled it off, and she was a lot more brutal than Lee ever was.

If he can court the centre-left and the centre-right successfully he might be able to do it.

I wonder if LKY's system of government could become an international ideology...

The trouble is that there's nothing particularly ideological about it. It's just extremely pragmatic- whatever works e.g. the government felt that banning prostitution was unworkable so they kept it legal even though most of the rest of their policies stressed family values. Lee's "ideology" pretty much involves approaching each sector of governance on it's own merits.

Thande

Donor
The trouble is that there's nothing particularly ideological about it. It's just extremely pragmatic- whatever works e.g. the government felt that banning prostitution was unworkable so they kept it legal even though most of the rest of their policies stressed family values. Lee's "ideology" pretty much involves approaching each sector of governance on it's own merits.
I think it could be classed as a form of Liberalism.

Hendryk

Banned
Incidentally, I wonder whether Lee would restrict displays of patriotism in Britain the way he did in Singapore. Flocc told me it's actually illegal to show the flag except within two weeks of national celebrations.

Personally, I very much see the point of having people not get too worked up about their country, but that's just me :p

Gotta love a place where prostitution is legal but showing the flag isn't :D

Thande

Donor
Incidentally, I wonder whether Lee would restrict displays of patriotism in Britain the way he did in Singapore. Flocc told me it's actually illegal to show the flag except within two weeks of national celebrations.
I don't think he could do any worse than the British establishment already has on that front :rolleyes:

Of course, all that's achieved is an undermining of the union and a reawakening of English national identity, but I suspect Singapore is organised enough to prevent ethnic tensions.

Then again that's a conscious decision originally instituted so as not to antagonise Malaysia and Indonesia, which wouldn't be an issue in TTL. In fact Lee might well decide to play up on British patriotism, emphasizing unity and discouraging the nationalist movements of the UK's component nations.

How different might the U.K. be if its PM is Lee Kwan Yew?

Not that different. Probably less emphasis on welfare but you have to remember that it wouldn't change that much given the relatively short time period we're talking about.

In many ways a Lee government would probably be like a cross between Thatcher's Conservatives and New Labour- he would still break the unions but there'd probably be a lot of emphasis on retraining those people and getting them into service economy jobs as opposed to manufacturing.

There would probably be a conscious effort to either bring the UK into NAFTA or more fully into the EEC. Lee has stated in his memoirs that he has always seen postwar Britain as nothing more than a second-rate power and he would definitely try to integrate it's economy into a wider bloc. Assuming he takes power at the head of a Liberal government in the late '70's/early '80's, Britain might well be part of the Eurozone now, for example.