In-Exile/Remnant States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some far-fetched but interesting timelines might include: Romanov state in Karelia but a Soviet state in the rest of Russia, still white-ruled Rhodesia, or even an Ottoman government-in-exile in predominantly Muslim Indonesia.

In would be far more realistic for a remnant Romanov 'state' to be in Russian Alaska. Anywhere near by the Soviet Union it will just be gobbled up. Don't see how white-ruled Rhodesia fits in since it wasn't a remnant state. The Ottoman Empire was extinguished before the formation of modern Indonesia.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Remnant Knights of St John state resident in the Vatican...oh wait, there IS one !

How about a remnant Knights Templar in Scotland ???

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

To clear things up:Again, these are extremely far-fetched examples. I used the term Indonesia to give a particular region a familiar name. The East Indies had been Islamicized many years before the fall of the Ottoman Empire. To clarify the white-ruled Rhodesia idea, it would be more of a scenario where the predominantly white government withdrew into modern-day Zambia or a more pacified Northern Rhodesia, possibly taking Malawi/Nyasaland with it. Finally, call me trivial, but other than staying in Russia, what desire would the Romanov's have for settling in Alaska? First, they would have to manage to somehow get all the way across the vast Soviet territory. No, if they leave Russia, they would go westward, into Europe, probably France. But because I'm discussing the idea of a remnant state, we both know very well the Romanovs could not just march into France of all countries and declare a new state within one of the world's most powerful nations at the time.

In would be far more realistic for a remnant Romanov 'state' to be in Russian Alaska. Anywhere near by the Soviet Union it will just be gobbled up. Don't see how white-ruled Rhodesia fits in since it wasn't a remnant state. The Ottoman Empire was extinguished before the formation of modern Indonesia.

An Ottoman remnant state doesn't seem very likely anywhere - although it's conceivable an Ottoman might be set up as a symbolic Caliph somewhere, but that's still unlikely given the time frame.

Thande

Donor
While we're on the subject, didn't the Ottomans prop up a Polish government in exile ruling over two towns in Turkey for ages?

Hendryk

Banned
Wasn't there an AH novel about a capitalist Crimean Peninsula as an analog to Hong Kong?

Another option I've personally entertained is the Vichy regime setting up a government-in-exile in Corsica like the KMT in Taiwan, but that would only be feasible in a TL in which either mainland France goes Communist or WW2 ends in a stalemate.

Oh, and a tengentially related possibility: a Nationalist Andalusia coexisting with a Republican Spain, like a longer-lived version of Italy's Salo Republic.

Last edited:
While we're on the subject, didn't the Ottomans prop up a Polish government in exile ruling over two towns in Turkey for ages?

There was a village set up outside Istanbul - it was officially under the protection of the Lazarists, but was in a weird situation since the Ottomans had refused to recognize the partition of Poland, which is the source of the long-friendly relations between Poland and Turkey.

Last year at a celebration, the Polish ambassador to Turkey got a big laugh during a speech when he brought up Poland's assistance of Austria at the Siege of Vienna in 1683 and called it "a mistake we will never repeat again".

During the Chinese Civil War, the Communists managed to seize control of Formosa. When the Nationalists defeated them on the main lane, Mao and his henchmen managed to escape to it. Without US support, the Nationalists were unable to follow after them, but still insisted that Formosa was part of China.

With little in the way of natural resources and only the Soviet bloc to trade with, a ideology of mend-not-make and frugalism was developed. Little industry has been developed as the Communists see that as a Western Trojan horse to invade their peasant's paradise.

I don't think you'd get China reversed.
The US would help China to crush Taiwan ASAP.

Even if the Soviets guaranteed it? A few Russian cruisers in the Strait would make KMT-China think twice about an invasion.

Also, you could have some contention between the USA and China- perhaps Chiang refuses to open up China to American companies?

Alcuin

Banned
There was a village set up outside Istanbul - it was officially under the protection of the Lazarists, but was in a weird situation since the Ottomans had refused to recognize the partition of Poland, which is the source of the long-friendly relations between Poland and Turkey.

Last year at a celebration, the Polish ambassador to Turkey got a big laugh during a speech when he brought up Poland's assistance of Austria at the Siege of Vienna in 1683 and called it "a mistake we will never repeat again".

I love the way the Ottoman Emperor used to ask Russian, Austrian or Prussian diplomats, "Where is the Polish Ambassador"?

Thande

Donor
Another option I've personally entertained is the Vichy regime setting up a government-in-exile in Corsica like the KMT in Taiwan, but that would only be feasible in a TL in which either mainland France goes Communist or WW2 ends in a stalemate.
That sounds interesting. Is there a way that the Allies or some other factor could have foiled the OTL Italian invasion of Corsica that coincided with the Nazi occupation of Vichy France?

Thande

Donor
Those east Europeans and their historical jokes :rolleyes:

I'm wondering how this would develop in my Look to the West timeline. In that, a weaker Prussia and a Russia ruled by Peter III adopt a somewhat different approach to the Commonwealth, making a single partition which breaks it up into Poland, Lithuania and Courland - Poland is in personal union with Prussia, Lithuania is ruled by the Russian Tsarevich as Grand Duke and Courland is Swedish. Although Poland and Lithuania still have a fair amount of autonomy and have not disappeared from the map as OTL, I imagine the Ottomans would still probably back a claimant for the Commonwealth throne and continue to recognise the Commonwealth...

Status
Not open for further replies.