An Alternate English Restoration

I wrote this up on the spur of the moment...

The Stuart Restoration

Part I: Recovery from Regicide

Following the beheading of Charles I on January 30th 1649 England was a nation without a king. A long and bloody civil war had seen the victorious forces of Parliament vanquish those supporting the autocratic tyrant Charles I resulting in the latter’s subsequent execution. Yet even though they had managed to vanquish the tyrant over them the people of England were left with a great many decisions to make. By the time the year 1649 was out a new path would be set for the British Isles, a path that would see the establishments of one of the first constitutional monarchies and would have global implications.

With the execution of Charles I and the subsequent escape of most of his family Royal power had been removed from the governing of the British Isles. Parliament, supported by the Republican Army governed the country and would decide it’s subsequent course. The debates that followed the infamous regicide of Charles I would be some of the most heated in history. Many Parliamentarians desired a true republic to be formed in the absence of royalty while others favored a return to the Monarchy.

Yet it would be one man, Henry Ireton who would tip the balance, with magnificent oratory skills which he later attributed to divine intervention, he entered the debate proposing a middle ground between the two camps. In lieu of a complete Republic or a return to Monarchy, Ireton proposed a more moderate approach; yes, the monarchy would return but it would be extremely limited by a reformed House of Lords and House of Commons.

After much debate it was agreed upon that Ireton’s proposal be accepted as it seemed the best way to not only take advantage of the victory of Parliament but also heal the wounds created by the horrible civil war that had wracked the country. Key to the acceptance of Ireton’s proposal was the fact that the Parliamentarians held Henry Stuart, youngest son of the executed Charles I in the Tower of London. It would be Henry Stuart Duke of Gloucester who would be crowned King Henry IX of The British Commonwealth on October 14th 1649.

Being only 10 years old at the time Henry IX remained a figurehead for the early part of his reign with Parliament wielding all real power until the conclusion of the Constitutional Convention in 1641 which saw limited royal power returned to him. Following his coronation numerous monarchists were appeased somewhat. Under the advice of both Henry Ireton and Oliver Cromwell the Rump Parliament agreed to dissolve with the intentions of forming a Constitutional convention and giving the nascent British Commonwealth it’s first and only Constitution.

The Constitutional Convention 1649-1651

Following the dissolution of the so called “Rump Parliament” and the election of the “Interim Parliament” dozens of delegates from across England met in London to charter a new course for The British Commonwealth. For over two years the delegates attending the convention bickered and argued. Dozens of proposals were put forward, compromises made and rejected before a final result was determined.

The Final Result, The Constitution of the British Commonwealth was heavily influenced by the prevailing Puritanism of the delegates but not so much as to be overly oppressive due to the actions of Moderates such as Henry Ireton and Archibald Campbell. Signed by over 80 delegates including the Boy King Henry IX himself the Constitution became the first of it’s kind in the world.

The position of Monarch was established as the head of state and placed within the executive branch of government in it’s limited state. The House of Lords was completely reformed, made proportional and made effective, acting as an upper house to the Parliament or House of Commons which was also reformed. The Prime Minister would be directly elected by the People and oversee the government for a term of 10 years before stepping down. This was in contrast to both the House of Commons who could serve as long as the populace elected them and the House of Lords who were elected for life.

All told The Constitution of the British Commonwealth is one of the wonders of the 17th century with ideas far ahead of it’s time. It’s implication and stability throughout the centuries would be admired by every generation earning the members of the London Constitutional Convention the nickname “The Founding Fathers” and an almost deistic reputation.

Cromwell and the “Interim Parliament” 1649-1651

During the period known as the Interregnum spanning the years between the execution of Charles I and the signing of the Constitution The British Commonwealth established itself in a number of ways. The main means of this establishment was primarily military through the actions of Oliver Cromwell and his New Model Army. During this time the British Commonwealth would effectively crush all local opposition and enter a period of long lasting stability.

The first action of the Interim Parliament following it’s election was to deal with the number of threats posed by exiled Royalists and their allies. First among these threats was the perceived threat from the Irish Confederates and their Royalist supporters. As a result Oliver Cromwell, Commander of the New Model Army led a campaign that saw the British Commonwealth’s control re-established in Ireland to a limited degree.

Cromwell would later leave Ireland due to the threat posed by the other sons of Charles I, who had landed in Scotland. Upon their landing in Scotland they quickly marshaled an army of malcontented nobles and citizens and threatened to overturn the tenuous status quo throwing the Constitutional Convention in London into chaos.
However Cromwell would be quick to respond and though outnumbered by the ex-Royalist forces Cromwell and his men inflicted a series of grievous defeats upon the Royalists killing James Stuart and forcing Charles Stuart to flee the British Isles for France once again. Following Cromwell’s and the Parliamentarian Scottish forces victory the Constitutional Convention calmed down and continued along it’s road to further integration of the two kingdoms.

These military successes in addition to Cromwell’s key part in the victory of Parliament in the English Civil War were extremely important securing the nomination for Prime Minister for the first election to be held later that year.

The Election of 1652

1652 was a momentous year for the British Commonwealth, with the Constitution being accepted only months before by Scottish, Welsh, and English delegates the infantile nation was ready for it’s first election. A subcommittee of the Constitutional Convention divided the British Isles (with the exception of Ireland) into electoral districts for both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. With said electoral districts in place the election of 1652 took place and saw two differing camps emerge, The Puritans and the Moderates.

Though the office of Prime Minister was contested by many as the election campaign went on two frontrunners emerged General Oliver Cromwell for the Puritan Camp and General Henry Ireton for the Moderate Camp. In the end it would be a hard fought race ending with a solid victory for the Puritans in both houses but also seeing the Moderates establish themselves as a firm minority and a strong opposition. Oliver Cromwell and his government were promptly sworn in by King Henry IX as the British Commonwealth prepared, once again to enter the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so the POD is Henry Ireton continues to press for a constitutional monarchy following the Second English Civil War proposing that Henry Stuart Duke of Gloucester be made king of a constitutional monarchy. This proposal is accepted leading to a constitutional convention and a much stronger constitutional monarchy much earlier.

Now is this at all realistic?

I'm having difficulties envisioning the finer points of the BC Constitution. Anyone care to enlighten me on the possibilities. Is it even possible to have an elected House of Lords? Would the British Commonwealth be capable of creating a series of checks and balances like their American descendants? How would the whole issue of religion and established churches play into all this?

What about Scotland? Would they be willing to join the BC in a very limited way? Perhaps like Quebec in Canada but less ornery? How would they react to Henry being put on the throne? Would the boy king get any support up North?

What about the rest of the Stuarts? Would they react in the way I portrayed them? (Charles Jnr and James heading to Scotland to lead a rebellion with James getting killed...no Jacobite Rebellions...Caroline Rebellions instead?)

Anyhow nothing's set in stone, I bounced this idea around in my head for about a day and wrote it up in the last half hour. I'd really like some imput.

FL

> Is it even possible to have an elected House of Lords?

Strictly, it would be a bit contradictory. However, it's possible that the House of Lords might be made representative of each County, say by reducing the House of Lords to one member of the nobility, one member of the clergy and one Lord-Lieutenant for each county, with the noble elected by the county's nobility, the clergyman selected by the clergy and the Lord-Lieutenant appointed by the crown.

Grey Wolf

Donor
> Is it even possible to have an elected House of Lords?

Strictly, it would be a bit contradictory. However, it's possible that the House of Lords might be made representative of each County, say by reducing the House of Lords to one member of the nobility, one member of the clergy and one Lord-Lieutenant for each county, with the noble elected by the county's nobility, the clergyman selected by the clergy and the Lord-Lieutenant appointed by the crown.

Yes, in theory you could limit the number of members of the Lords, and basically have the aristocracy vote among themselves as to who gets to sit in the Chamber. Bizarrely, this is the halfway house that was adopted by Labour in the 1990s, having the elected members of the aristocracy voted in in this manner

But in no way should you have anyone of less degree than Baron voting for a member of the Lords

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

The Stuart Restoration

Part I: Recovery from Regicide

The mental image that flashed into my mind was that the POD was that the old puzzler was true: "King Charles the First walked and talked a fortnight after his head was cut off"

Recovering from an exection is much harder than recovering from e.g. a paper cut!

Hmm, the position of the child Henry IX could be the theme of Jacobite propaganda, Charles Jr and his partidaries could say that all this is pure mockery and that in fact Henry IX is only an hostage.

ninebucks

Banned
I think that such developments would actually probably delay Anglo-Scottish union. In OTL the Union required strong centralised leadership to be pulled through, in a state with legislative primacy, that won't really exist.

Perhaps in this time frame some kind of Treaty of Perpetual Peace could be signed? Permenantly demilitarising relations between the two states. But I don't think outright union would come about untill the mid- to late-1700s.