The Collaborative Central Powers TL?

Faeelin

Banned
Given all the interest people have had in fleshing this out, and in the hopes of getting people interested in a TL, would people want to work on a composite TL on this topic ?

Wouldn't it be hard to get people to agree on things, though? There is a wide diversity of opinions...

Though, in general I think it sounds like an interesting project- how would it be organized? Something like the XXth Century was?

Just coming up with a victory date would be an effort. My $ .02 would be before April 1917, but thats assuming the timeline would follow as normal.

In my MANY self-made TL's, the CP always ends up winning by mid-1917.
but thats just my mind.

Scott

Glen

Given all the interest people have had in fleshing this out, and in the hopes of getting people interested in a TL, would people want to work on a composite TL on this topic ?

Might I recommend having this in the Collaborative Projects subforum of Shared Worlds? I can move the thread for you if you'd like.

I'm focused on the Talleyrand Plan mainly at the moment, but I'd love to have some input in a shared CP TL, happy to have ideas bounced off me!

Deleted member 1487

I'd love to help out too. This is one of my favorite PODs.

Susano

Banned
Sounds intersting to me, of course :D

But its true. Wed need to agree first how the CP won. There are several ways, cetrainly, but of course if this ius to be a TL, it needs to have only one.

Faeelin

Banned
Sounds intersting to me, of course :D

But its true. Wed need to agree first how the CP won. There are several ways, cetrainly, but of course if this ius to be a TL, it needs to have only one.

I get the impression people were hoping for a relatively late war victory, circa 1917, 1918.

So, I think you need, at the minimum, no US involvement.

Jasen777

Donor
I think a U.S. that never enters the war, and is more truly neutral is the way to go. This leads to a Russian collapse similar to OTL, and a nearly status quo ante bellum peace on the Western Front due to war exhaustion from everybody.

Thande

Donor

That's a good idea. The trouble is, based on what I remember of previous discussions, there's quite a breadth of opinion on the subject. We might have to vote on, or perhaps wargame, important decisions.

I vote we put Glen in charge, if he's willing, as he's shown aptitude with managing these grand projects before.

MrP

Banned
That's a good idea. The trouble is, based on what I remember of previous discussions, there's quite a breadth of opinion on the subject. We might have to vote on, or perhaps wargame, important decisions.

I vote we put Glen in charge, if he's willing, as he's shown aptitude with managing these grand projects before.

'Gaming almost anything large scale in WWI is an utter nightmare. Jutland is probably the easiest thing (and that's just naval), and I doubt I could manage that in a week - and bear in mind my lack of job. The largest land game I've seen had battalions as the smallest units. Given that there are a dozen of them for each division . . . *shudder*

Thande

Donor
'Gaming almost anything large scale in WWI is an utter nightmare. Jutland is probably the easiest thing (and that's just naval), and I doubt I could manage that in a week - and bear in mind my lack of job. The largest land game I've seen had battalions as the smallest units. Given that there are a dozen of them for each division . . . *shudder*

I didn't mean wargaming to your exacting standards, P, I was more thinking along the lines of "Does the HSF manage to break out of the North Sea if America doesn't enter the war (rolls dice) Nope" :p

MrP

Banned
I didn't mean wargaming to your exacting standards, P, I was more thinking along the lines of "Does the HSF manage to break out of the North Sea if America doesn't enter the war (rolls dice) Nope" :p

Bah! I denigrate your inexact wargaming! :p

Thande

Donor
Bah! I denigrate your inexact wargaming! :p
Most generals manage without knowing the exact disposition and capabilities of the enemy - or indeed their own - forces, so isn't it a little unrealistic to try and infer their tactical decisions from a God's eye view?

MrP

Banned
Most generals manage without knowing the exact disposition and capabilities of the enemy - or indeed their own - forces, so isn't it a little unrealistic to try and infer their tactical decisions from a God's eye view?

Don't make me denigrate your understanding of 'gaming further. :p ;) It's got a lot of permutations, and the best ones involve hidden movement and umpires. My favourite Napoleonic game, Shako, doesn't even allow orders any more precise than "1st Division, take that hill!" then leaves the precise movement (there are minimum conditions to fulfil in re movement and formation) up to the commander.

More germanely, 'gaming the break out of the HSF is so complex that I would be loathe to rely on a single die-roll to calculate it. Seriously, WWI is a pain to game on a grand scale.

Thande

Donor
Don't make me denigrate your understanding of 'gaming further. :p ;) It's got a lot of permutations, and the best ones involve hidden movement and umpires. My favourite Napoleonic game, Shako, doesn't even allow orders any more precise than "1st Division, take that hill!" then leaves the precise movement (there are minimum conditions to fulfil in re movement and formation) up to the commander.

More germanely, 'gaming the break out of the HSF is so complex that I would be loathe to rely on a single die-roll to calculate it. Seriously, WWI is a pain to game on a grand scale.

Very well, I concede the point. I was just using that as an example; rather than taking a severe chaos approach, we might take another approach to the TL such as "what sounds good and is within probability".

In any case, such a TL will be more about what happens AFTER the war rather than how it is won. Ever tried simulating an election, say?

Elections are really more random- in most cases a coin flip should be fine, or maybe a dice-roll if one side has a better chance (say, coming off a victorious war, or the other party is discredited due to a scandal)