Polynesians In america. New Timeline by Atom

I proclaim America the Icarus dead. from its ashes shal arise a new timeline that is significantly different.

Excerpt from a History of Polynesia
(c)James, Halloway, London press 2000

...Chapter 1: Pre-history and Expansion.

Polynesians originally developed in the Island of Liqui[1]. Here we can clearly see the original forerunners of the Aborigines, Hoa-apua[2], and Polynesians, and some have suggested that they were an influence on the Srivijayan[3] tribes.
This was of course far back in pre-history, before the Polynesians adopted the distinctive technologies and way of life that mark them today. Most homoologists[4] believe that these peoples left and later populated certain areas in the Philippines before spreading to Takia[5]. There they left to the New Williamsburg Islands[6], and Tu'i [7] where we discover the first evidence of the distinctive culture known as the Dickensian culture [8].

The Dickensian culture is primarily known for its distinctive pottery, which is low fired and has a distinctive dentate stamp on it. There are numerous examples of undecorated pottery stretching from the northeastern coast of Takia to Tu'i. They also had adzes, and made usage of shells, obsidian (theorized obtained from a trade network through out the island), chert and other types of rock. All of this 3,000 years ago, and at this time a large amount of Austronesian settlers arrived displacing certain groups on the coast and highlands, which were then pushed until they reached the edge of the island. From here we see the beginnings of the of the Hoa-apua.

The origins of the Hoa-apua are distinctively murky, with documentation and archaeological evidence being at best scattered. It is known that they are likely descendants of the original settlers to Tikia, due to their frizzy hair and dark skin, unlike the Austronesian settlers, who had straight hair. This appears to be confirmed by the study of NRA[9], as recently conducted by the Imperial Scientific Commission study of Srivijayan Peoples (ISCSP). Some archaeological evidence has been discovered suggesting that they were a highland people. This is also backed up by the cultivation of the Ironwood tree as easily shown today by walking in any of the areas they colonized. This has cuased sever consternation for the Hoa-apua pride groups that currently control certain polynesian nations, who have long claimed the superiority and purity of their ethnicity.

The Hoa-Apua appeared to have one distinct advantage over the Dickensian peoples inhabiting Tikia and New Copenhagen Archipelago[10], the original areas they invaded. They had developed a lightweight woven type of armor, unique to them. This combined with their innovation of the Tiakpo (a rectangular club covered in five rows of obsidian shards) enabled them to occupy numerous sights around 250 years after the original evidence of Dickensian type pottery. They quickly spread by coopting Dickensian boat types, allowing them to spread over the course of 750 years to the edge of the known Dickensian sphere.

The Hoa-apua interbred more than had originally been thought according to the new ISCSP study. It is apparent that they more created a veneer of aristocracy while adopting large amounts of the conquered peoples society. This is apparent when original Hoa-apua pottery is compared to later post conquest Hoa-apua dominated societies pottery. Hoa-apua pottery shows a strong Tikia influence with red, white, and black color scheme with fanciful designs of men and beast. Later on they become more subdued with a greater focus on only black, and more abstract forms, similar to native pottery. Society seems to have become more stratified the longer Hoa-apua remained in control, with a system of chiefs, sub chiefs, and clan leaders (all but the last always being Hoa-apua) owing fealty to the leader above them. Sometimes disparate chiefs in archipelagos would fall under the sway of a more powerful chief known as the Rrupa. The greatest example being in the Tu'i archipelago, although that deserves its own chapter, which it will get.

By the time Hoa-apuans arrived in Tu'i (300 BC) the Polynesians had already left spurred on by ariving waves of refugees fleeing the Hoa-apua. from Tu'i they sailed in Outrigger canoes to the Neu-Holstein Islands[11] and Utaheite[12]. From there they spread at a slower pace than before, without seeing large fleets of refugees arrive at their doorstep (literally, houses were built facing the beach meaning that many arrivals landed on a villages launching area) they still managed to arrive in the San Juan Islands[13] in 200 BC, the Isles of Fair Hope (25 AD)[14], Cabazgo Isle (100 AD)[15], and the Maui archipelago (AD 200) [16]. From this we see the early Polynesian society similar to ours.

By the time the Hoa-apua arrived in the Neu-Holstein islands and setting off a new wave of migrations, Polynesian society was well established. It went along a much loser kind of society than the Hoa-apua, with less stress on organization. They had heavy use of crops and fishing, but took almost no interest in animals, with very few pigs. They also did not practice silvaculture. The Hoa-apua had developed integrated silvaculture, animal husbandry, and agriculture with limited emphasis on the sea. This is why significant populations are only found on the larger islands.

The next step in the spread of Polynesian society, was the largest and most unlikely. The story of how the got there, is today a series of movies worth £5 billion. This was (and probably still is) the greatest journey mankind has ever acomplished. This is the journey to the Ericsons[17]...

That was footnote heavy,” sighed Commander Arkangelsky, as he looked up from the e-book reader.
Well we did elect to keep all the original names of the places” said Dr. Hasson.
Why, am I reading this piece. It doesn't seem very important. I mean polynesia never had much affect on the world...”
In our Timeline, yes. But not in theirs. The Excerpt you just read is the first difference we can find in our searches.”
Why did this have to be a book anyways? Don't they have TV or the internet?”
Well, sort of, I mean this pprocess ain't perfect,” Dr. Hasson said, with a very exasperated tone, “I'll call Sarah inn, she'll probably explain this better. Shes been leading the California and satellite teams. Sarh would you come here the I need help!”
Hello commander. I assume your asking about our efforts to find other media from the Alternate place. In a nutshell it basically comes down to this. The two mediums have nothing we feel we can show you with out giving a biased account or being irrelevant.” Dr. Sarah Mizowsky said.
Tell me more.” said the commander
Well I'll start with the Internet first, as that is easiest. basically we found that the Internet in Alt-California is, different. I will read you an Excerpt to show you:
Let None forget the horrors done to us by the northern infidels! Alcaxots demands
sacrifice, and we will give him blood to fuel the cosos! To arms my brothers!
To arms!
Basically we have page after page of that. TV is odder. All the stuff we have been getting is basically news and tabloid news. In 50 languages. Imagine the BBC combined with E! and a dash of your local news channel.”
I hope you find better sources cause this is really boring. I failed history at Westpoint, through shear boredom.” said the commander.

Footnotes:
[1]Taiwan
[2]A Papuan tribe, that was killed in OTL
[3]Indonesia
[4]Anthropologists
[5]New Guinea
[6]Fiji
[7]Tonga
[8]Lapita
[9]DNA
[10]New Britain, New Ireland, Solomon Islands
[11]Society islands
[12]Tahiti
[13]Line islands
[14]Marquesas
[15]Easter island
[16]Hawaii
[17]The Americas

Great start, please continue on. I love Austronesian centred TLs. :)

Not to be a Details Nazi, but the Aborigines have already been in the Malay archipelago long before the Austronesians (Polynesians are a subgroup as are the Micronesians, Melanesians, and Malaysians) came from China to Taiwan.

RE Sleepaholic agent

Great start, please continue on. I love Austronesian centred TLs. :)

Not to be a Details Nazi, but the Aborigines have already been in the Malay archipelago long before the Austronesians (Polynesians are a subgroup as are the Micronesians, Melanesians, and Malaysians) came from China to Taiwan.

Thanks for the comment

I claim the infaliable author. This is also just one theory I read about in Guns, Germs, and, Steel, along with wikipedia. In this timeline it is the generaly accepted one. Also I have to ask, what do you think is about the Hoa-apua. realistic? implausible? odd?

This timeline will not be Austronesian centered, but it will play a large part in th TL.

This is interesting.
For Round 2 of the Flag Contest I did a flag based on a similar idea.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Although you did go in a very different direction than I did (Srivijaya in this time line is just the *English name for Indonesia and Malaysia. Blame a monk) I see some interesting points there. In my Tl the technological developments (which I'm still working on, perhaps a jib?) that allowed them to cross to the Americas on the equatorial current, was caused by a group of invading New Guineans. Still nice flag. I can see why you won.

While I like that there is an alternative to anthropology, homoology is a bit of an awkward mix of Latin and Greek.
Yeah, thats definitely a problem. See because my POD is somewhere from 4000-3000BC (leaving it intentionally vague) i cannot justify (to myself, I do believe in the butterfly theory) that everything remains the same, so I have elected to try and change names. Of course spelling would also change, but Dr. Hasson and his team have taken care of that.

A couple of announcements about the Tl:
I am going to try to post on a weekly schedule, on Wends days
and:
I need a map of the pacific ocean. Anyone have one?
Comments? Questions?

corourke

Donor
This looks interesting. What are your goals with this timeline? What do you hope to accomplish?

I noticed that the Americas are called Ericssons. This implies that the Norse colonies were successful? I guess if the Vikings came at the same time as the Amerindians were recovering from epidemic diseases introduced by Polynesians, they might have been more successful in their colonization attempts?

Update #2

This looks interesting. What are your goals with this timeline? What do you hope to accomplish?
This is the outgrowth of a thought expirement bout how to make the maericas in a better position versus Europe. At the time I was reading Guns, Germs, and Steel. i decided the easiest way was to introdus more domestic animals and add better technologies to allow contact between Mesoamerica and the Andes.

I noticed that the Americas are called Ericssons. This implies that the Norse colonies were successful? I guess if the Vikings came at the same time as the Amerindians were recovering from epidemic diseases introduced by Polynesians, they might have been more successful in their colonization attempts?
Close, but not quite. Colonies no, succesful, maybe. epidemcs at that time no.

update:
(Translated) Excerpt From: The Greatest Journey
© Lucas Chomondeley, Le monde press, Paris, 2000

The Journey from the Isles New Albion[1] to the Ericksons is the greatest travel ever completed by a group of people, using only some of the most basic technologies of sailing. Using only a sail, an outrigger canoe, and excellent navigational skills these peoples traversed 1,000 of miles from New Albion to the coast of the Southern Erickson. From there they split off and either went up the coast to the north until they reached rain forest, feeding off of fish stocks or they traveled through Console de Fogo e Golo[2]. It is the first option that had the largest effect on the history of the world. Many scientists claim that they never could have reached the Ericksons and attribute the natives to developing boats and then sailing to polynesia nd bringing back these people. This is the story of my journey to prove them wrong, my journey to go from New Albion to New Erickson, with only proper period technology. Traveling with an intrepid crew, and only a WSLS[3] to make sure we can be rescued, we will complete a secondary journey of our ancestors...

...For food we pack, nambo, or dried fruits most commonly breadfruits to the north in the tropics, but here yams and taro. We also pack dried meats, mostly fish, pork and a bit of chicken. We will be bringing pigs and chickens along with dogs, so we bring seed. We plan to give our refuse to the pigs. To avoid scurvy we bring fruit juices, which we pack in gourds that we hand carved and capped with wood. A few fresh yams, taro, and sweet potatoes are packed along with seed.
It is amazing that the forerunners of our expedition new to bring juices to prevent scurvy, how to salt and smoke meat, and package vegetables for later use. Being a seafaring society that had spent many times running from there enemies, it is apparent they had dire need to develop the long term storage techniques critical for survival on long voyages. Still though it boggles the mind that that they knew these things a thousand years before our world panning empires did...

...“Why did you cut it off so short?” Asked Commander Arkangelsky.
because the man's a self centered git.” said Dr. Hasson
What?”
In his time line he does stuff like this all the time. You know he was the first man to sail around the world without stopping, first man to repeat Leif Ericksons voyage, first man to bicycle from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska, and yet he still is a womanizing, accused rapist, and accused grave robber/ disturber of archaelogy, and he's very unscientific.”
Science is the greatest goal for you, is isn't it'
No, knowledge is”
I can see why the chose you to lead the fact finding mission.”
Thank you”...

Taken From (translated): Survey of Polynesian archaeological sights on the western Southern Erickson site.
© 1987 Jornal de Sciencia's de humanidad, Barcelona
The various sites that have been discovered that show clear Polynesian artifacts and bones, are scattered about from Console de Fogo e Golo, to the rain forests and a few near at Bon Espoir[4]. They all date from 500-650A.D. They are concentrated near Qocha[5] with a higher concentrations at the southern tip, and the northern rain forest. Bon Espoir has the highest density of sites, but also the fewest per region. all of the sites are small (maximum forty people) but can be divided into two categories, temporary and permanent.
Temporary sites appear in the majority of sites surveyed (20 out of 30). They are usually made out of whatever materials could be found in the area, or are made of cloth tent like objects, not previously seen in any Polynesian site. They are usually filled with fish bones and fecal analyis shows a diet high in seafood and local in season foods like berries. Most are very lacking in tools, with only a few found, although shells that have been purposefully moved for decoration are common. None of the typical wood building structures or raised earth platforms are present here, indicating that hthe boats move on. These sights are usually very small with only a few structures, and a few piles of refuse and trash.
For example take the Chuco Amka site. This site lies squarely on the southern coast. It is about 30ft. by 50ft., on a hillock about 10 miles from the nearest town. the site is stony with a mixture of the volcanic rock basalt with portions of granite, and tonalite with trace amounts of minerals. It has a thick layer of dirt and pebbles, due to the large forest that surrounds it. All of the soil and rock is fairly recent, created by volcanic activity. The hillock looks down upon a deep section of the coast that was carved out by glaciers during the last ice age.
The remains of a campfire can be clearly seen, with large rocks surrounding a pit. A temporary shelter was erected for the boats that would have come, being made of animal skin and sticks. We see evidence of tents and large amounts of fecal matter and pee. refuse is casually stren about as if they throwers were not planning to live here. one pig skeleton was unearthed.
We see scattered elements of animal hunting mostly in spears and bones. Fish was obviously a main element of the diet as were mussels, clams, and other shellfish. Fecal analysis shows...
...A few permanent settlements are found around Qocha, Bon Espoir, and the rain forest, but by far the largrest concentration (5 out of 10) is in the southern temperate forsets and valleys, similar to Southern New Albion. These are typically much larger than your average temporary settlement being large enough for temples, storehouses, boathouses, and houses to exist plus fields. We see remains of dikes, walls, and platforms, with most of the buildings gone, being made from wood in most parts except around Bon Espor, where the houses appear to have been made with earth, although these conclusions (I expect) will be hotly debated.
The typical layout shows that the village centered around a main temple, with houses around it and foodhouses near the center. Boathouses were used to store the food gathered from the crops, and it appears that they used gourds for most of their storage. The village was built upon a man-made hill, with trenches built around it. watchtowers and walls are also built around it. These defenses continue to serve as a mystery to us although certain reasons are possible based off of previous knowledge of the Maori.
The foodhouses are large and made of (usually) wood on a raised platform. inside we find the remains of gourds filled with numerous examples of the products of these farmers. Although most of them have decayed it is obvious that they farmed taro, sweet potatoes, sugarcane, the Aruhe fern, the gourd, and the Ti pone (gourde) were all grown in some parts. The most limited crop selection is found near Bon Espoir where we only find, Taro, Sweet potatoes, and sugarcane where the only crops grown. The selection was wider in the south where all the crops were grown then shrunk to the north where the Aruhe Fern was not grown.
These places show the highest density of animal remains with pig bone, chicken bones, and fish bone sin abundance. There also numerous native fruits and berries present with a few birds too. There is usually four or five family dwellings the size of a previous impermanent camp. These show large pits dug near them with skeletons laid inside. most of these are badly damaged by some kind of accident, weather it be by rocks, animals or the sea. Near the outskirts we see other burial sites that have children, and the old, besides the victims of accidents. These are usually later than th village and from here we extrapolate (due to the number of children, and increase in burials over time) that population growth from these sites were rapid, topping fiver percent from 525-700 A.D. This probably explains why settlers would have left northward and eastwards...

Excerpt From: A history of Southern Erickson
© Davidson, Damien, London, 1997
Chapter 3 Polynesian arrivals:
It is estimated that over a four thousand Polynesians arrived in somewhere around 100 boats over the one hundred and fifty years of the exodus. Originally they arrived and settled around the (relatively) similar forest of the south. Here they felt comfortable having grown up with large trees and ferns, with birds and insects flying around. Although it received slightly more rain it is doubtful that there was that much shock. These first settlers (numbering perhaps a third of the total number to arrive) farmed and quickly set up villages. By the 600 A.D there population ha reached maybe 10,000.
Why the polynesian canoes that continued arriving throughout the period left the original landing spots is mostly a problem of population. These areas were already densely populated by settlers who would resist these new settlers. Population at this point was estimated to be 10,000 and with a new canoe arriving every year. Each time a new canoe arrived, it got harder to find good land. Eventually a few canoes chose to brake off. They had two choices, deal with a long journey to the north with an unknown destination, or go to the dangerous straights. Unsurprisingly most chose the long versus dangerous journey so Qocha and the rainforest's became more heavily populated. They let the winds and the current carry them northward and ate off the fish that swarmed threw the waters. A few landed in the good harbor of Qocha and ts rainforest's and mangroves. Here they set up villages filled with tropical plants and fed with Taro and fish.
The Southern rout was different. After braving the perilous straight they arrived on a treeless and dry area that was cold and unforgiving. They quickly moved on and eventually reached Bon Espoir tired and exhausted. The few survivors struggled to erect buildings and farms using the swampy areas to all of their advantage to grow taro.
By 700 A.D. There were estimated to be 20-30 thousand Polynesians all across the southern and western continent. Their consequences would be immense.....

[1] New Zealend
[2] Tierra del Fuego
[3] Stands for Worldwide Satellite Location System, OTL GPS.
[4] Buenos Aires
[5] Guayaquil

Edit: The green dots are not archaeological sites. Instead they are the limits of th eimmigrants knoledge. Sorry!

PiAPolynesiansettlement.PNG

Last edited:
sorry

Great stuff so far. Can't wait to see how Polynesian tech affects the natives!
Thanks! Although polynesian tech will not be as direct an effect, as certain others. Two notes:
a. In this timeline the Maori have pigs. Just thought i would mention that, before people start questioning my plausibility.
b. Sorry, no update today. Real life reared it's ugly head. Hopefully the next update will be twice as long.