WI Walter Cromwell Dies?

Glen

What if Walter Cromwell, father of Thomas Cromwell and last common ancestor of him and Oliver Cromwell, dies in childhood.

What would an England without this prominant family look like?

Thande

Donor
What if Walter Cromwell, father of Thomas Cromwell and last common ancestor of him and Oliver Cromwell, dies in childhood.

I think Henry VIII would be able to find someone else to plunder his monasteries, even if it would spoil his theme of having all his chief ministers called Thomas ;)

Removing Oliver Cromwell from history has a bigger impact, but by that point butterflies may have changed the situation anyway. (e.g. no Thomas Cromwell = maybe less depradation after the Dissolution of the Monasteries = different Pilgrimage of Grace, or similar events = England becomes Catholic again = no Stuart succession = no Charles I = no Civil War).

Not necessarily as dramatic as that, but you get the idea.

Glen

I think Henry VIII would be able to find someone else to plunder his monasteries, even if it would spoil his theme of having all his chief ministers called Thomas ;)

Removing Oliver Cromwell from history has a bigger impact, but by that point butterflies may have changed the situation anyway. (e.g. no Thomas Cromwell = maybe less depradation after the Dissolution of the Monasteries = different Pilgrimage of Grace, or similar events = England becomes Catholic again = no Stuart succession = no Charles I = no Civil War).

Not necessarily as dramatic as that, but you get the idea.

All you say is true. Still, it is hard to believe that the absence of two such large figures in English history would make only minor impact. Especially if we hold to a butterfly minimal model so as to explore their contributions....

Glen

Still think this is a promising POD....

Glen

I don't have the time or inclination to pursue a timeline based on this POD, but I think it would be a great one for someone looking for a dramatic change to English history from a single POD.