Official Flag Contest: Discussion

Highlander

Banned
As some interest was expressed in this idea, I've made a flag where we can discuss what we wanna do with it.

Any comments/ideas?

Would it merely be "make a flag for [Nation X]", or "Make a Revolutionary's flag for [Nation X] that involves the Coat of Arms of [Royal Family Y]"?

Like, how detailed would the challenge itself be?

Highlander

Banned
Would it merely be "make a flag for [Nation X]", or "Make a Revolutionary's flag for [Nation X] that involves the Coat of Arms of [Royal Family Y]"?

Like, how detailed would the challenge itself be?

Well, how detailed it would have to be would depend on the individual competition - one could be simple (like making a flag for a nation), or more complex.

Can I challenge someone to make a 60, 61, and 62 star US flag?
In the flag thread of course. But in the contest there will be a group (most probably a pair) of judges and they will issue challenges.

As flags are little less popular than maps I think that this contest should be a little shorter than map contest. Like three rounds and Grand Final.

As for the complexity of challenges, they should be simple, but requiring creativity like: "Devise a totalitarian ideology. Make a map of [Totalitarian] Sweden. Explain the symbolism."

Highlander

Banned
In the flag thread of course. But in the contest there will be a group (most probably a pair) of judges and they will issue challenges.

As flags are little less popular than maps I think that this contest should be a little shorter than map contest. Like three rounds and Grand Final.

As for the complexity of challenges, they should be simple, but requiring creativity like: "Devise a totalitarian ideology. Make a map of [Totalitarian] Sweden. Explain the symbolism."

That's exactly what I had in mind.

So, perhaps you and I could be judges?

Highlander

Banned
Yes, good point. Hm, well, we've got three people so far that I can tell are interesting.

Are there any others?

Highlander

Banned
I might want to do this. How will it work?

Alright, that makes four.

How it works is those who are entered in the contest will be given a prompt, and they'll make a flag from that prompt. The Judges will then decide which on is the best.

Highlander

Banned
Ok, now that we have some people interested, we need some ideas for prompts.

I like the British one; any others?

Glen

I'd take a stab at it.

British Dominions that never were works for me as a first stage.

Union Jack in the upper left with a symbol of the specific dominion in the center.

For a real challenge, one should make a flag of a hypothetical province of one of the British Dominions that never were.