AH challenge: Russian naval base in Malta

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to have Russia establish a naval base in Malta by 1900 with a POD no earlier than the birth of Peter the Great without taking the Straits.

Thande

Donor
That shouldn't be too difficult. Just make Nappy on better terms with Tsar Paul I, who was elected Grand Master of the Knights Hospitallier and took it way too seriously. Instead of the French ejecting the Knights from Malta in 1799 when they conquer the island, have Boney decide that holding the island is unsustainable for the French (the garrison was forced to surrender to Nelson in 1800 OTL) and cede it to Paul when he becomes Emperor. Paul will probably put on a big show of protecting Malta with Russian power because of his position. Even after Catherine takes over, the Russians aren't going to give up control of such a valuable position.

Of course, it's hard to see how they could keep hold of it for very long when the only way for their fleets to get there is via British held Gibraltar or the Ottoman Straits.

A prolonged war with the Ottoman Empire could seize, in time, eastern Anatolia and Syria? Perhaps Russia decides to lead a nineteenth-century crusade for the Holy Land? They wouldn't even need to get all the way to Palestine, so long as they have a little bit of Mediterranean coastline.

Bizarre, but a Russian base in Malta is pretty damn bizarre, too.

How is that? Malta is an island country in the Mediterreanian Sea.

I know, I know. I wouldn't expect anyone here to understand why I said what I said.

I was born and spent the first five years of my life in Malta, a town in upstate New York. Now I live in Milton, about fifteen miles away.

I know, I know. I wouldn't expect anyone here to understand why I said what I said.

I was born and spent the first five years of my life in Malta, a town in upstate New York. Now I live in Milton, about fifteen miles away.

Milton and Malta? That must be confusing at times.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Um, didn't the Treaty of Amiens require France to evacuate Malta and hand it over to Russian protection ? They didn't, and the constant delays in doing so were one of the reasons why the Treaty broke down... Now, all you need is for the Treaty to be abided by in this respect and it becomes exactly what you need.

Again, that is IIRC, but I think I do...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I thought it was the British who were supposed to give up Malta and didn't?:confused:

Um, didn't the Treaty of Amiens require France to evacuate Malta and hand it over to Russian protection ? They didn't, and the constant delays in doing so were one of the reasons why the Treaty broke down... Now, all you need is for the Treaty to be abided by in this respect and it becomes exactly what you need.

Again, that is IIRC, but I think I do...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
I thought it was the British who were supposed to give up Malta and didn't?:confused:

Oh, well my memory sucks, sorry

At least I said IIRC

Who were the British supposed to give it up to - the Knights under Russia ?

Maybe I imagined even that bit...

Apologies

Grey Wolf

hey, I could be wrong!:)

i think you're right on the handing it back to the Knights but then i've also got the idea that Malta was taken by a combined British-Portugese force following a local uprising so dont trust my memory!:D

Oh, well my memory sucks, sorry

At least I said IIRC

Who were the British supposed to give it up to - the Knights under Russia ?

Maybe I imagined even that bit...

Apologies

Grey Wolf

It was the British who were supposed to give up Malta to the Russians under the Treaty of Amiens. There was no way the British wanted Russian fleets in the Med, so they delayed. Napoleon used this as a casus belli but frankly both sides were dying to get at each others throats anyway.

I seem to recall Catherine the Great made moves towards Turkey. There are two possibilities for a Russian outlet to the Med without the Sea of Marmara, being the Dalmatian Coast (that is, taking on the Austrians) or the Middle East (Syria, Palestine) taking on the Turks)

An interesting idea is for the Russians to take Venice, but would they be able to hold on to it?

Grey Wolf

Donor
http://www2.prestel.co.uk/church/oosj/amiens.htm

6. The independence of the isles of Malta, Gozo and Comino, as well as the present arrangement, shall be placed under the protection and guarantee of France, Great Britain, Austria, Spain, Russia, and Prussia.

So, I guess I was completely wrong :) But at least I KNOW now...

I'm still sure that Russia was somehow involved in the Malta question and why it was NOT given up, but its only a very vague memory of something I read some years ago

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Milton and Malta? That must be confusing at times.

There's also Wilton. And the towns of Ballston and Saratoga, the village of Ballston Spa, and the city of Saratoga Springs are fun, as well.