So the Union looses a war with the British then what?

Tielhard

Banned
It occurred to me the other day that, amazingly, there is at least one outcome of a Federal America - British war during the American Civil War over the Trent Affair that we have not discussed on this board. That is, what happens after a British victory? Suppose there is a war but in its nature it is not unlike several posters have been suggesting, that is, it has the following key features:

a) The war is short, six months at most, then everyone comes to their senses.

For the sake of the argument assume that the Union has overrun the Niagara peninsula and is besieging Kingston, they control all of the Great Lakes. The British have a close blockade of the Union in place and have destroyed much of the Union fleet, a few of their remaining cruisers roam the oceans hunting British merchant ships but one by one they themselves are being hunted down. Fortress Monroe and Fort Calhoun have fallen. Fort Jefferson has yielded to siege. Baltimore and San Francisco have been burned their defences reduced. Watertown Arsenal, Wilmington and Newhaven powder mill destroyed along with their contents. Springfield Arsenal is badly dammaged. Sackett’s Harbor is a wasteland taken and retaken several times, Nantucket Island, Cape Cod, Portland, San Juan Island and much of the California gold field are in British hands. The Panama railway is now under British control. Bread rationing is being discussed in Parliament, American farmers go bust and burn their farms because they cannot sell their wheat. The Union cannot provide guns and powder to it huge army, it is desperately short of iron, steel and saltpetre. The Union has even run out of gold to pay the legendary blockade running captains bringing in powder and arms from Prussia, Russia and Scandinavia. though few enough of them get through the blockade. Hyperinflation has begun in the northern states.

b) A British victory and the USA yields but the peace terms are not unduly painful to the Union.

For discussion purposes assume they accept; withdrawal from Canada, return of the Confederate commissioners, an indemnity in gold against Britain’s war costs, San Juan Island with Sackett’s Harbor and surroundings. If you feel that is too lenient then throw in Nantucket and Santa Catalina Islands too.

c) At no time in the course of the Anglo - Union war does Britain or any other power recognise the independence of or formally ally with the Confederate States of America. Willberforce may be dead but it is simply not possible for a British government to ally with a white Christian slave state. Similarly, Lincoln has never felt the Union to be in a strong enough position to issue an emancipation declaration.

d) The ACW is not resolved in the course of the other war.

We have already assume a scenario where the Union blockade is broken. Let us further assume materiel flows freely to the CSA. New Orleans has not fallen and the Union has no enclaves left on the South’s coast. The CSA holds the lower Mississippi with powerful gunboats and rams. It has a small but modern ocean going navy purchased in Europe. The campaign on the Tennessee river has gone in the Confederacy’s favour. Elsewhere the USA has been hampered by lack of powder and modern firearms but it now has a much larger army at this time (Aug./Sept. 1862) than it did at a comparable date in OTL. The Army is very poorly equipped especially in comparison to the Confederates. There are almost no true fighting ships left in the USN.

The question is, what happens now?

On the USA’s side Lincoln and Seward still have some time before the election. They probably have the political support needed to continue the ACW. They can also probably put a great deal more treasure into it, need to put more treasure into it, than they did in OTL. What they have not got is much time in which to get an acceptable result, the election is coming. They may of course feel they have to go for a negotiated settlement but that is unlikely and even if they do it needs the agreement of the CSA.

Whilst all this happens, what is Britain going to do? They will want to trade with both USA and CSA but will they still find both belligerents acceptable recipients of British arms or will they deny one or both of them weapons and make them do with raw materials? They have just warred upon the one and the other exudes the vile odium of slavery. If they don’t sell them weapons to fight one another, others will step in to provide them. What of the blockade? Will they let the Union re-establish it? If not how will they uphold International Law and acceptable norms? If they don’t do that the (diplomatic and moral) support they have had in the recent war from France, Spain, Russian and the North German confederation (however grudging in the last two cases) will evaporate. How much will they feel they need to spend defending BNA? They are not in a good position.

The CSA are in the poorest position of all. In six months of well equipped war against a blockaded opponent that was simultaneously engaged in fighting a second war against a second powerful enemy they have been unable to obtain their independence. What are they going to do now their enemy gains in strength and their manpower is eroded away piecemeal?

As I am often accused (not without justification) of Yank baiting on this board I thought that I should say that, for what it is worth the suggested scenario represents what I believe to be a middling result for the USA in a war with Britain over the Trent Affair. A good result would be an even shorter war, loss of a few ships followed by defeat and minimal reparations. I can see opportunities for a Federal American victory, I do not regard a British victory as inevitable but all those scenarios involve great sacrifice and come at enormous cost to the USA, I would consider most of these victories to be bad results for the USA. The really bad results are defeats that start off with restrictions in the Westward advance of the USA and end with its complete destruction brought on by unchecked internal dissent.

Thoughts anyone?

67th Tigers

Banned
Nothing unduely realistic except for the mention of Bread rationing (the Union wasn't a major wheat exporter for another 20 years).

I think that not recognising the independence of the CS is truly problematical if you go to war with the US. Technically then CS warships are US warships.... Recognition of the CS is prettymuch a requirement for war against the northern states. Also, the British were really nice at the negotiations, in not keeping California and Maine.

Anyway:

Maine: They've a chance to switch sides now and join the Maritimes if they want

California: The British will create a power vacuum on leaving, and we'll likely see a short and bloody little conflict that may establish the Pacific Republic. This has long term knock on effects for US development, as the Trans-Continental Railroad will probably not be built, meaning the West will never be opened up to the same degree and the Indians won't have to endure the blood lettings of the 1880's.

The CSA: Their armies are now well equipped, shod and have no need to forage.

It's interesting to think what may have happened to Ft Monroe, did the British just abandon it (allowing the CS to take it) or did they hand it over to the US? If the former, the CS controls the approaches to Washington, probably prompting a move of the Capitol north.

The time (Summer 62) is right for Lee's first invasion of the north OTL, and this time he'll be taking a larger (no need to maintain 50-80,000 men to oppose Union exclaves), better equipped force against a Union Army reduced by conflict, the need to maintain garrisons in the north and by the inability of Washington to fed, clothe and pay them.

Without butterflying away events, perhaps Lee (or Johnston since he isn't killed in the Peninsula?) in short order smashes Pope and McClellan (who I assume had not shown his caution yet) and pushes north, perhaps laying siege to Washington and occupying Baltimore.

In the west, without Federal domination of the Tennessee, Cumberland and Mississippi, the heartland offensive is impossible, that means fighting in Kentucky, the Union anchored on the Ohio, the CS on the Cumberland. Who knows how that will turn out. However, the CS isn't as stuffed as OTL.

Finances: They're just gone. No bank would loan to the US directly OTL, let alone now. CS finances OTOH might be quite good, backed by a strong export led economy they might be able to secure a lot of loans.

The Blockade: It's not likely to be reestablished, the Union has to rebuild a navy and make multiple amphibious assaults to establish supply bases, even if they did, would they challenge foreign shipping? Scotts Anaconda plan has bitten the dust.

The advantage is clearly southern, which is not to say the war can't continue until 1864. Maybe the CS simply gets worn down, taking more and more Union territory but unable to get the Union to admit defeat, until eventually Lincoln is gone in 1864 and a peace settlement occurs.

Nothing unduely realistic except for the mention of Bread rationing (the Union wasn't a major wheat exporter for another 20 years).

I think that not recognising the independence of the CS is truly problematical if you go to war with the US. Technically then CS warships are US warships.... Recognition of the CS is prettymuch a requirement for war against the northern states. Also, the British were really nice at the negotiations, in not keeping California and Maine.

Anyway:

California: The British will create a power vacuum on leaving, and we'll likely see a short and bloody little conflict that may establish the Pacific Republic. This has long term knock on effects for US development, as the Trans-Continental Railroad will probably not be built, meaning the West will never be opened up to the same degree and the Indians won't have to endure the blood lettings of the 1880's.

It's interesting to think what may have happened to Ft Monroe, did the British just abandon it (allowing the CS to take it) or did they hand it over to the US? If the former, the CS controls the approaches to Washington, probably prompting a move of the Capitol north.

The time (Summer 62) is right for Lee's first invasion of the north OTL, and this time he'll be taking a larger (no need to maintain 50-80,000 men to oppose Union exclaves), better equipped force against a Union Army reduced by conflict, the need to maintain garrisons in the north and by the inability of Washington to fed, clothe and pay them.

Without butterflying away events, perhaps Lee (or Johnston since he isn't killed in the Peninsula?) in short order smashes Pope and McClellan (who I assume had not shown his caution yet) and pushes north, perhaps laying siege to Washington and occupying Baltimore.

In the west, without Federal domination of the Tennessee, Cumberland and Mississippi, the heartland offensive is impossible, that means fighting in Kentucky, the Union anchored on the Ohio, the CS on the Cumberland. Who knows how that will turn out. However, the CS isn't as stuffed as OTL.

Finances: They're just gone. No bank would loan to the US directly OTL, let alone now. CS finances OTOH might be quite good, backed by a strong export led economy they might be able to secure a lot of loans.

The Blockade: It's not likely to be reestablished, the Union has to rebuild a navy and make multiple amphibious assaults to establish supply bases, even if they did, would they challenge foreign shipping? Scotts Anaconda plan has bitten the dust.

The advantage is clearly southern, which is not to say the war can't continue until 1864. Maybe the CS simply gets worn down, taking more and more Union territory but unable to get the Union to admit defeat, until eventually Lincoln is gone in 1864 and a peace settlement occurs.
67th How many troops were you using to take Fortess Monroe?

Tielhard

Banned
67th Tigers wrote:

Nothing unduly realistic except for the mention of Bread rationing.

1) realistic!! I trust you mean unrealistic.
2) 20% of imports is not an insignificant amount. As the war started in Spring and is ending at harvest time lack of wheat is not going to be a problem for some time but I suggest to you that a prudent Parliament would wish to debate the issue including the possibility of bread rationing.

67th Tigers wrote:

I think that not recognising the independence of the CS is truly problematical if you go to war with the US. Technically then CS warships are US warships.... Recognition of the CS is pretty much a requirement for war against the northern states.

I have been reading US Navy reports, Cabinet papers and bits of politicos memoirs anything I can get my hands on for a year and I can find no evidence that the British intended to recognise the South in the event of war. Indeed Milne’s orders hint at the opposite. He is supposed to get coal and assistance out of them without making any agreements that would bind Britain to them.

The British government would be well aware of the fact that recognising the CSA might give rise to riot or even insurrection in Salford/Manchester and the Lancashire mill towns.

67th Tigers wrote:

Also, the British were really nice at the negotiations, in not keeping California and Maine.

Don’t keep what you can’t hold it makes you look weak. If Britain wants to keep Alta California it has to both run and defend the place. Neither is easy from a London perspective. The USA is not going to send an army to recapture the place for a long time at least until they build a railway part way. However the USA can take the place by ‘Green March’ if the immigration to the Eastern Union starts rising again. Even if they don’t do that there is a big minority population that is going to resent the British. I can see them taking the place after a long bitter war when troops are plentiful but not after a short one.

67th Tigers wrote:

I don’t think the British would want most of it. It is very hard to defend and close to big USA population centres.

67th Tigers wrote:

Fair analysis

67th Tigers wrote:

I was assuming it was left to the Confederates.

67th Tigers wrote:

I would question this. If they are back trading again and only fighting the CSA they are a good bet to lend money to once again.

Tielhard

Banned
Ghost 88 wrote:

67th How many troops were you using to take Fortess Monroe?

That would be me. No troops as such I was intending to reduce the fortification with

2 Oceanic armoured cruisers
HMS Terror & one other battery if available
6 Steam battleships
5 Paddle frigates
5 Rosario class gunvessels
5-10 gunboats
3 mortar frigates
20 mortar boats (if available)

I refer you to this jolly splendid discussion of the matter on tanknet.

http://www.tank-net.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t17231-100.html

Anyway:

I differ on a few points.

First off, Maine hasn't been occupied, and CA has merely been fought over. Britain apparently hasn't had true control over the West Coast, merely raided it on a massive scale. Thus, the reasoning that either will be immediatly made independent is weak at best. Just as the rest of the world doesn't beg to sell vast swarths of territory to the US for pennies an acre, so wasn't the US begging to rip apart at the seams. At the same time, would Britain really want to try occupying such territory when they're having to start a bread rationing program? The US might be destroyed piecemeal by Britain if it resists, but if Lincoln doesn't let the South go, and already holds a good part of Canada, why shouldn't he keep fighting to preserve the Union? The fight would get mighty uncomfortable for Britain, and who knows what the British masses would have done when they're short on bread because the government is fighting for a slave nation.

Second, Because the US controls much of Eastern Canada, both US grains and Canadian grains I assume were cut off Britain, not just US grains.

Third, while the CSA wasn't being blockaded, it's economy won't have made the grand recovery you envision, not least because they were hoarding their cotton until they received recognition. No recognition = no cotton, no cotton = no influx of foreign cash. The mythical blockade runners of OTL were just as often cheating the CSA of cotton as they were bringing in weapons.

Fourth, who ever the CSA faces once the US returns its attention to them most likely will be whoever did well in Canada. Meaning that an slow incompetant like McClellan might not be letting Lee rip him shreds. Also, the invasion of the North might already have been attempted as Lee tries to take advantage of the Union's distraction. On the same thought, it might have been turned away without a grand conflict like Antietam by a defensive Union, its potential political clout hidden by the Union's fight with Britain.

Fifth, the blockade would (slowly) be rebuilt because there is little reason not to. Blockading the CSA weakens it, and halting foreign shipping hadn't been a problem before. And since Britain has just ended a war without recognizing the CSA, it has de facto recognized the US's claim that it is merely quelling an internal rebellion. A nation can blockade itself if it so chooses, and the greatest power of the world has just recognized the fact.

If anything, I see the CSA as having gotten a brief breather, the US weakened financially, but once the US military is reequiped, the CSA is toast as the Union has mobilized further. As always, only diplomatic recognition can save the CSA, and many US OTL anti-war elements are either now behind the govt. after fighting with Britain, or will be ignored. (See my Unconstitutional Abe thread).

The more interesting questions would be how the emancipation proclamation goes, how soon till black troops (if not already), and future impact on WW1.

That would be me. No troops as such I was intending to reduce the fortification with

2 Oceanic armoured cruisers
HMS Terror & one other battery if available
6 Steam battleships
5 Paddle frigates
5 Rosario class gunvessels
5-10 gunboats
3 mortar frigates
20 mortar boats (if available)

I refer you to this jolly splendid discussion of the matter on tanknet.

http://www.tank-net.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t17231-100.html
You are aware that The Army of the James about 20,000 Union troops is headquartered at Fort Monroe? It was Left there when most of the AOP was returned to Washington after 2nd Manassas. Why do you think it never fell yet being so close to Richmond?

Tielhard

Banned
Dean_the_Young wrote:

First off, Maine hasn't been occupied, and CA has merely been fought over. Britain apparently hasn't had true control over the West Coast, merely raided it on a massive scale.

Almost correct. My starting assumption was that Maine remained in American hands except for a (largish) pale around Portland including the railway north. I also assumed that in California the British had burned San Francisco, destroyed Mare Island (I may be wrong about this they might want the graving dock), Alcatraz and Fort Point. The occupy only the more accessible Goldfields in which they are secure.

Dean_the_Young wrote:

At the same time, would Britain really want to try occupying such territory when they're having to start a bread rationing program?

I really must start using my words better. Parliament has discussed bread rationing in Aug./Sept. it would not be on the cards even if there was a huge shortage.

Dean_the_Young wrote:

The US might be destroyed piecemeal by Britain if it resists, but if Lincoln doesn't let the South go, and already holds a good part of Canada, why shouldn't he keep fighting to preserve the Union? The fight would get mighty uncomfortable for Britain, and who knows what the British masses would have done when they're short on bread because the government is fighting for a slave nation.

This seems to miss several points.

1) Britain does not recognise the CSA at any point in its war with the USA.
2) Peace terms include the return of all Canadian territory to British control otherwise why would the British come to the table? They are not hurting yet (if they ever will) but the Federal Americans are in dire straights with shortages of arms, powder and foreign exchange.
3) The earliest the British people are going to see bread shortages is beginning 1863 so any sort of insurrection is a future issue not one for Aug./Sept. 1862

Dean_the_Young wrote:

Second, Because the US controls much of Eastern Canada, both US grains and Canadian grains I assume were cut off Britain, not just US grains.

Yes but it makes little overall difference.

Dean_the_Young wrote:

Third, while the CSA wasn't being blockaded, it's economy won't have made the grand recovery you envision, not least because they were hoarding their cotton until they received recognition. No recognition = no cotton, no cotton = no influx of foreign cash. The mythical blockade runners of OTL were just as often cheating the CSA of cotton as they were bringing in weapons.

They can give up their cotton and have guns, powder, iron, steel, railstock, locomotives and warships or they can hoard their cotton in the hope of recognition. What are they going to do? They are not fools this is not the same situation as in OTL and even there you will recall they traded cotton soon enough.

Dean_the_Young wrote:

Fourth, who ever the CSA faces once the US returns its attention to them most likely will be whoever did well in Canada. Meaning that an slow incompetant like McClellan might not be letting Lee rip him shreds.

The British are so far out of position in Mar. 1862 it would take a small miracle for them to hold the Niagara peninsula irrespective of the quality of the commander they face. I think you assumptions are dodgy here.

Dean_the_Young wrote:

Also, the invasion of the North might already have been attempted as Lee tries to take advantage of the Union's distraction. On the same thought, it might have been turned away without a grand conflict like Antietam by a defensive Union, its potential political clout hidden by the Union's fight with Britain.
It may not be Lee.

Dean_the_Young wrote:

Fifth, the blockade would (slowly) be rebuilt because there is little reason not to.

This is my thinking also but it will be slow.

Dean_the_Young wrote:

Blockading the CSA weakens it, and halting foreign shipping hadn't been a problem before. And since Britain has just ended a war without recognizing the CSA, it has de facto recognized the US's claim that it is merely quelling an internal rebellion. A nation can blockade itself if it so chooses, and the greatest power of the world has just recognized the fact.

Your understanding of international law here as it applied in 1862 is, I am afraid, wrong. Nothing Britain had done would have vested the CSA with any recognition other than those of a belligerent which were gifted to it prior to the Trent Affair. A nation cannot blockade its own coast ever. It may close the ports of entry if it wishes but this of itself brigs many complications. Last point, when the blockade was on before the USA had not just had a war with Britain. The question is what the British will do (see my first post above).

Dean_the_Young wrote:

If anything, I see the CSA as having gotten a brief breather, the US weakened financially, but once the US military is reequiped, the CSA is toast as the Union has mobilized further. As always, only diplomatic recognition can save the CSA, and many US OTL anti-war elements are either now behind the govt. after fighting with Britain, or will be ignored. (See my Unconstitutional Abe thread).

You are assuming the USA can re-equip its armies in a reasonable time. That is open to question. It has almost no powder. Lost two of its big arsenals and has been unable to bring in significant numbers of fire arms from Europe. The British may no longer want to sell them Enfields and even if they do they don’t have nearly as many of them stockpiled as before the war.

Dean_the_Young wrote:

The more interesting questions would be how the emancipation proclamation goes, how soon till black troops (if not already), and future impact on WW1.

Until and if the Union get the upper hand again Lincoln is not going to be making any emancipation declarations.

Tielhard

Banned
Ghost 88 wrote:

You are aware that The Army of the James about 20,000 Union troops is headquartered at Fort Monroe? It was Left there when most of the AOP was returned to Washington after 2nd Manassas. Why do you think it never fell yet being so close to Richmond?

I think Fortress Monroe did not fall because:

1) It was on the wrong side of the Hampton Roads.
2) The Union had naval superiority in the Hampton Roads.
3) The Confederates did not have enough big guns and real warships to take the place.

However Ghost 88 you ask me the wrong question. The question you should have asked is: Why do you think Fortress Monroe will fall to the Royal Navy. The answer is:

1) The can gain and maintain total naval control of the Hampton Roads.
2) They can isolate Fortress Monroe from support
3) Fortress Monroe is not well sited and by European standards obsolete.
4) The Royal Navy has: 2 Oceanic armoured cruisers, HMS Terror & probably one other battery available, 6 Steam battleships, 5 Paddle frigates, 5 Rosario class gunvessels, 5-10 gunboats, 3 mortar frigates & perhaps 20 mortar boats. It also has lots of other ships to keep up the blockade and defend its American possessions although they are spread thin.

MrP

Banned
a) The war is short, six months at most, then everyone comes to their senses.

Hm, well, the CSA will be stronger. I'm not sure that they'd be able to acquire sufficient numbers of warships for it to be worth their while. The British will maintain defences in Canada in case there's a reprise, and a Northern force will be tied down sitting on the Canadian border for the rest of the war, and longer, probably. Provided the South does as well as OTL, it's not unreasonable to project that the elections of '64 will throw out the Republicans and install Copperheads in their place. Thence a negotiated peace with a stronger than OTL '64 South.

b) A British victory and the USA yields but the peace terms are not unduly painful to the Union.

Britain still would be nervous about supplying arms to the USA, but as pointed out above, if she doesn't someone else will. The post-war USN will be substantially better funded than OTL.

The CSA are in the poorest position of all. In six months of well equipped war against a blockaded opponent that was simultaneously engaged in fighting a second war against a second powerful enemy they have been unable to obtain their independence. What are they going to do now their enemy gains in strength and their manpower is eroded away piecemeal?

I agree that it doesn't look good for the Rebels, but I feel it's highly possible that desire for peace would be higher in the North than OTL. I could be wrong, of course. But I'll explain why I think so. The South has a well-equipped army and sufficient materiel for her immediate needs. The North, despite having a large number of men in uniform is ill-equipped and in the throes of an economic crisis. Despite the failure of the Southrons to capture Washington or any significant city during the past few months, they do have a big marauding army in Virginia. Provided this can avoid a year and a half of initially ill-equipped Federal assaults on it, then it'll look like the defeat of the Union's a very bad idea.

From the Northern pov I'm also worried about the disparity in forces. It's signally more in favour of the Union (numerically) than OTL once troops have been deployed to Maryland/Virginia from Canada, yet qualitatively inferior. This reduces the prospects for a Southern offensive, while increasing the benefits of defence against the North. In essence, Lee/Johnston would be forced to adopt the strategy some modern analysts feel Lee ought to have in OTL - sit on the strategic defensive. If that happens, then the North will have a lot of fun assaults to attempt with inferior artillery support.

Just my thoughts. :)

MrP

Banned
I think Fortress Monroe did not fall because:

1) It was on the wrong side of the Hampton Roads.
2) The Union had naval superiority in the Hampton Roads.
3) The Confederates did not have enough big guns and real warships to take the place.

However Ghost 88 you ask me the wrong question. The question you should have asked is: Why do you think Fortress Monroe will fall to the Royal Navy. The answer is:

1) The can gain and maintain total naval control of the Hampton Roads.
2) They can isolate Fortress Monroe from support
3) Fortress Monroe is not well sited and by European standards obsolete.
4) The Royal Navy has: 2 Oceanic armoured cruisers, HMS Terror & probably one other battery available, 6 Steam battleships, 5 Paddle frigates, 5 Rosario class gunvessels, 5-10 gunboats, 3 mortar frigates & perhaps 20 mortar boats. It also has lots of other ships to keep up the blockade and defend its American possessions although they are spread thin.

It could still be a headache if the shore batteries are capably handled and the guns are good enough. What's the artillery situation at Ft. Monroe?

67th Tigers

Banned

Nope, the Dept/Army of Virginia (Wool) is there at the time. 2nd Manassas occurs OTL after the Anglo-American War is finished.

Ft Monroe itself is garrisoned by the 10th New York Volunteer Infantry, 2 Coys of the 99th NYVI, plus ISTR 3 (or 4) Field Batteries. Roughly 1,000 men.

The rest of the Army is 2 Brigades without artillery (the guns are at Ft Monroe), aggregate about 4,000 men. They're in Camps inland to protect the landward approaches (and not entrenched as I'd expect).

It could still be a headache if the shore batteries are capably handled and the guns are good enough. What's the artillery situation at Ft. Monroe?
Ft Monroe is more vunerable than I thought,I had always heard it was on the Tip of the York Pen., not that it was an island off that tip. It still is not going to fall to the RN without considerable land force support as the York Pen. covers the bridge to the Fortress and as I said the Army of the James can put 12-15,000 men on the point.
While on paper I see the UK will ultimatly triumph I see no quick victory. Also I wonder what happens the First time the British Army attacks a dug in Union position and suffers casualties like the Union did at Fredricksburg. What would be the reaction of the British public to 7000 dead and 14,000 wounded soilders because two representitives of a nation they do not even like were taken off a mail packet? How about 30,000 dead and 60,000 wounded in trying to capture areas that are alot easier to defend than conquer? People in Europe tend to forget that most of the New England-New York area in 1862 is not open farmland but,wooded hill country without the road network of europe at the time. Any overland attack into the area is going to be treated to the same, hospitality that Bobbie Lee offered Sam Grant. How long will the citizens put up with that kind of butchers bill? If they will for 18 months to 2 years, then the UK wins. If not then its more or less status quo.

67th Tigers

Banned
The Army of the James OTL doesn't form until Summer 1864, created from the forces left in North Carolina (i.e. what Burnside left behind after he formed IX Corps and withdrew by sea to join the AoP, this force being designated XVIII Corps) and SC/GA (i.e. what Sherman's expedition, X Corps). These forces are the core of what I propose an Army of the North would be composed of.

Ft Monroe is easily reduced, and the Brigade of Marines to hand is probably quite sufficient to take the reduced fort.

67th Tigers

Banned
Also I wonder what happens the First time the British Army attacks a dug in Union position and suffers casualties like the Union did at Fredricksburg. What would be the reaction of the British public to 7000 dead and 14,000 wounded soilders because two representitives of a nation they do not even like were taken off a mail packet?

Would they?

For a start, you quote more casualties than a badly handled army of 114,000 "militia" took over five days of heavy fighting as the casualties of one charge.

Most Casualties in ACW battles occur because attacks were not pushed forward enough, attackers often stopped 100 yds or so and engaged in protracted firefights with the defences rather than pushing forward for the two volleys they'd receive (at most a dozen casualties to a Battalion).

If the British had resolved to storm Marye's Heights, rather than feeding one brigade in at a time (for six divisions!), they come storming up the hill with all their divisions, after smashing the wall with 12 pounder rifles. They'd suffer several hundred casualties (the 16 brigade assaults the Union had cost at most 400 casualties each, each brigade in turn being under the guns of 9 artillery batteries en route), but they'd fight into the position and probably take it, albeit with a thousand casualties or so.

Of course, the British are far more likely to flank the position.

Tielhard

Banned
The only places I can see the British and thier colonial allies attacking a prepared position in a large scale assault are if they need to retake Canada's Niagara Peninsula or if they come down the Hudson. The nightmare option is if they have to take back the Welland canals and perhaps Detroit. Those actions would be blood baths for both sides. However ... what we are looking at in this thread gentle readers is what happens AFTER an anglo-Federal American war. The starting point for the discussions is in the first post. We have established that there is some disagreement about some of the assumptions most notably if Fortress Monroe will fall. There is however a need to move on.

A key question is are the British going to sell guns to the Union. If not will Prussian, Russian and French guns be better than Enfields?

Almost correct. My starting assumption was that Maine remained in American hands except for a (largish) pale around Portland including the railway north. I also assumed that in California the British had burned San Francisco, destroyed Mare Island (I may be wrong about this they might want the graving dock), Alcatraz and Fort Point. The occupy only the more accessible Goldfields in which they are secure.

I think its highly unlikely that any of the goldfields, at least those uprivier from Sacramento Delta, would even be seen by a British regular. Striking at San Francisco and the rest sounds reasonable and could be expected, but believeing that the British would use anything besides Marines in a six month war is stretching it.

Tielhard

Banned
The British have troops in NZ doing nothing, troops in China doing nothing, troops and lots of volunteers in NSW and Victoria doing nothing. The soldiers of the Bengal presidency remain loyal to Victoria. Volunteers in British Columbia doing nothing. Engineers in BC and Victoria. The EVA is disbanding formations in China. Formations which could be asked to serve under British colours. Marines at Esquimalt, in British Columbia, Cape York, Hong Kong, Valpariso (I think) and on the ships.

If they really want to they can throw a lot of troops at California. I was estimating for a short war 500-800 marines, 1500-2500 regulars, 2000 volunteers, 4000 Chinese mercenaries (ex. EVA) with maybe 5,000 Indian and British troops arriving later from Bengal.

Against this the Californians have almost no regulars and AT MOST 15,000 militia/volunteers spread out everywhere.

The Californians are not an homogenous American population. There are many foreigners including the Chinese, a large Southern constituency, the Californios and Indians. The cannot be relied on to support the Union.

As to reaching the goldfields: Mormon Island & Coloma/Sutter's Mill should be easily reachable. Bidwell bar and Webster's are probably not too difficult. Murphy's and Rich Bar I would put in the maybe-maybe not category and Mariposa and the Comstock Lode are non-starters.

The British can Avoid San Francisco (once the defences are destroyed) but in order to control the goldfields they need to control Sacramento.

Good points, but I doubt they would do it. Sending Chinese troops from the EVA sounds doubtful and volunteers are just that - volunteers. The troops in BC I could see invading the Pacific Northwest, but those from NSW and Victoria?

"They may not be relied on to support the Union."