Kingdom of Argentina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick

Banned
A little known fact is that between the Revolution of May 1st 1810 and the declaration of Independence as a Republic in July 9th, 1816, there were a lot of conflicts regarding whether the United Provinces should remain as a colony of Spain, become a british Colony, turn into a Republic or into a Monarchy.

What if the monarchists had prevailed? not too hard to believe, General Jose_de_San_Martin and Manuel_Belgrano wanted to install a constitutional monarchy.

Let's look at the candidates:
-Francisco de Paula. Son of Charles_IV_of_Spain and brother of Ferdinand VII. I think that he refused or that his brother prevented him.
-Louis Philippe of Orleans, the more interesting option, since he later became King of France and his election would have caused great changes in Europe.
-The Prince of Lucca: I could only find the Duke of Lucca, so it's probably him. There was a deal with France, by which the French would send military aid to the Rio de la Plata if the Duke of Lucca became the monarch, but nothing happened...

An Argentinian guy told me that San Martín offered a symbolic crown to the cousin of Tupac Amaru II, who was living in Buenos Aires at that time. I don't know if that story is only a legend or has some background, but there is a clear Incan sun in the middle of the Argentinian flag even today...

An Argentinian guy told me that San Martín offered a symbolic crown to the cousin of Tupac Amaru II, who was living in Buenos Aires at that time. I don't know if that story is only a legend or has some background, but there is a clear Incan sun in the middle of the Argentinian flag even today...

That would certainly be interesting.

maverick

Banned
But the least likely. That is why I didn't mention it.

Manuel Belgrano suggested it in 1816. I don't remember exactly what happened later, either the other representatives booed or laughed.

WI Argentine Monarchy?

After the 1810 revolution in Argentina, the idea of inviting a European prince over to be crowned king was considered, so as to give the newly formed country greater legitimacy (or so they said). I'm thinking of doing a TL based on this idea, but I need some help.

Who would have been the candidates?

maverick

Banned
Check my thread on the subject...here

Let's look at the candidates:
-Francisco de Paula. Son of Charles_IV_of_Spain and brother of Ferdinand VII. I think that he refused or that his brother prevented him.
-Louis Philippe of Orleans, the more interesting option, since he later became King of France and his election would have caused great changes in Europe.
-The Prince of Lucca: I could only find the Duke of Lucca, so it's probably him. There was a deal with France, by which the French would send military aid to the Rio de la Plata if the Duke of Lucca became the monarch, but nothing happened...

Francisco de Paula was offered the crown during Manuel Belgrano's diplomatic mission to Europe in 1816...and the Prince/Duke of Lucca was considered in 1819, under Rondeau I think, before the collapse of the directorate in 1820...

Admiral Brown did a threat too, about Charlotte of Braganza Bourbon, queen of Portugal, being given the crown of la Plata...

If you want a monarch in or (a couple of years) before 1810, Charlotte of Braganza Bourbon is probably the best candidate. At that time, the country was rulled by Liniers, a Vicerroy who was a French national. Napoleon had invaded France, both Charles IV and Ferdinand the VII were in prison, and the Spanish piople didn't recognised Napoleon's brother as King of Spain. Charlotte was then in Brazil, with the rest of the Portuguese royal house, and could have been crowned queen or regent of the River Plate, in order to "protect" this lands from a Vicerroy who might have pledge alliance to Joseph Bonaparte. When Ferdinand eventually reterns, she might declare this lands independent. She could have had support of some Criollos around 1809, if only she were willing to accept to be a constitutional monarch (which she wouldn't). and she could have have Portuguese support, ...if only her husband and the British would let her.

If you want a monarch AFTER 1816, maverick's candidates are the best. I'd personally go for one of these, cause they would probably be better for Argentina than Charlotte. If it's one of them, no matter who, he would come after being asked to do so by an independent nation (our formal independence was in 1816), and would have to accept to be constitutional monarchs. This would hopefully grant both stability and freedom. If it's Charlotte, she would come before being formally asked to come by an independent Argentine souveirgn Congress, and would probably behhave as a conqueror or as an absolute monarch.

I once read that Manuel Belgrano was an advocate of putting a monarch of Incan descent on the throne. I don't know how much truth is in this but it would have been interesting.

I once read that Manuel Belgrano was an advocate of putting a monarch of Incan descent on the throne. I don't know how much truth is in this but it would have been interesting.

After his diplomatic mission failed in 1816, that was Belgrano's preferred option. Or at least, that's what my current research on the topic suggests.

maverick

Banned
After his diplomatic mission failed in 1816, that was Belgrano's preferred option. Or at least, that's what my current research on the topic suggests.

Until the people at the Tucuman Congress were actually presented with the idea of puting a descendant of Tupac Amaru on the throne...to which they rolled their eyes and declared a republic...sort of...:p

Until the people at the Tucuman Congress were actually presented with the idea of puting a descendant of Tupac Amaru on the throne...to which they rolled their eyes and declared a republic...sort of...:p

By which you mean the Republic included a very powerfuly executive (Directorate) or by which you mean that they kept fighting over preciesly the nature of the Republic until at least the 1850s, if not the mid-20th century. ;)

maverick

Banned
By which you mean the Republic included a very powerfuly executive (Directorate) or by which you mean that they kept fighting over preciesly the nature of the Republic until at least the 1850s, if not the mid-20th century. ;)

The later...:p

The directorate was nearly dictatorial, but they weren't really powerful considering that they couldn't control half the country...and I mean the important half...

May I suggest a wild card: Pedro Carlos de Borbón (1786 - 1812), the only surviving son of Gabriel de Borbón (1752 - 1788), son of Charles III of Spain. He was in Rio with the Portuguese royal family, because he lived in Lisbon before the Napoleonic invasion (his mother was a sister of John VI of Portugal).

IOTL he married the eldest daughter of John VI, Maria Teresa. So, he was the only representative of the Spanish royal house living in South America. He had strong connections with the Portuguese, and even was married to a possible heir of John VI. And more than it, he was beloved by the king of Portugal as a son (John's daughters didn't go with him in the same ship to Rio, but Pedro Carlos did). The Portuguese king might not have supported his wife Charlotte to get the throne of Rio de la Plata, but Pedro Carlos, especially after his marriage to Maria Teresa, might have been accepted.

maverick

Banned
That is a wild car...I had considered doing a TL about Gabriel as King of Spain but never found enough information...thus, I had never even heard of his son...

First, there's the matter of his death, which will have to be butterflied away...

In any case...here's a weird thought: what if the Empire of Brazil supported an Argentine Monarchy against Spain...giving them Pedro in an attempt to limit foreign influence in the Rio de la Plata...maybe Pedro I of Brazil would be more comfortable with a relative and fellow monarch as a neighbour....would this be possible? maybe with a Brazilian empire established before 1822?

That is a wild car...I had considered doing a TL about Gabriel as King of Spain but never found enough information...thus, I had never even heard of his son...

First, there's the matter of his death, which will have to be butterflied away...

In any case...here's a weird thought: what if the Empire of Brazil supported an Argentine Monarchy against Spain...giving them Pedro in an attempt to limit foreign influence in the Rio de la Plata...maybe Pedro I of Brazil would be more comfortable with a relative and fellow monarch as a neighbour....would this be possible? maybe with a Brazilian empire established before 1822?

I think it would be more possible if it's arranged by John VI rather than Pedro I. If Pedro Carlos is made king of La Plata than John would probably accept that the whole Banda Oriental would be integrated into the Platenean kingdom. And probably Pedro Carlos would have no problems in fighting the Spanish. He was raised in Portugal, was the son of a Portuguese princess and married to other one.
If he could have stablished an "Argentinian Empire" the relations between Brazil and Argentina would be sooo different... There would be even the risk of a later personal union between both empires :)eek:) due to the interbreeding of both royal houses.

maverick

Banned
That'd be interesting...although Many politicians on both sides of the river would have hated that idea...especially on this side...just choosing the capital of a prospective Argentinean-Brazilean super state would be a nightmare...

Although it would be an awesome short-lived empire...the British would hate it though...

That'd be interesting...although Many politicians on both sides of the river would have hated that idea...especially on this side...just choosing the capital of a prospective Argentinean-Brazilean super state would be a nightmare...

Although it would be an awesome short-lived empire...the British would hate it though...

Sure, it would be short-lived, but it would be a dream for lazy mapmakers...:D

maverick

Banned
Of course, we need a POD before 1820 and probably before 1816...even though the Duke of Lucca was offered the crown in 1819...

So this have to be before the actual Empire of Brazil is proclaimed...

Of course some of the provinces might oppose having a Monarchy, so we may see a Portuguese army in la Plata in a campaign to impose a monarchy...

I think we still need to know how Pedro Carlos died...

I think we still need to know how Pedro Carlos died...

I'm not sure, but I think he died from yellow fever, or other tropical disease... nothing that could not be butterflied. I think I have some information about him in a book about the royal family in Rio. When I arrive home I'll try to find out the exact cause of his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.