Challenge: Turn the British Union into Austria-Hungary

Thande

Donor
Funny thought I had.

With a POD of after 1707, how can the United Kingdom have some sort of revolution and end up as a dual monarchy like Austria-Hungary in OTL?

My idea was that Scotland would be the Hungary analogue, with Wales as Slovakia and Ireland like the Balkans. Wales and Ireland would be part of the Scottish half of the kingdom ("Trans-Tweed-ia" ? :D ).

Probably impossible to do an exact analogue without ASBs, but how could something vaguely in the area have come about?

Well, with the Act of Union the Scots abolished their parliament. Perhaps ITTL they don't. The King of England also holds the crown of Scotland. I would think that Wales would just be part of England, thereby you would still have the Prince of Wales. Ireland would just be conquered - as IOTL.

The King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Scotland would have small cabinet that handles foreign affairs, finance and the Admiralty (probably a few more). The English and Scottish Parliaments would pass their own budgets, pretty much like how Austria-Hungary worked.