TIMELINE CONTEST: Sign-up & Planning Thread

Glen

Okay folks, I have been inspired by the Map Contest.

I propose a Timeline writing contest. Each participant will start with the same POD, and be asked to construct an Alternate History from that POD to the Present.

The POD for the first contest would be:

November 2, 1948 - Thomas Dewey narrowly wins the US Presidential Election.

Competing timelines have to have at least one entry for every year between 1948 and 2007. They may also have entries in November-December 1948 and January-February 2007 at the discretion of the contestants.

I would suggest we give about 2 months to write the timelines.

Participants should keep their work secret until the deadline for submission. People can work in teams, but only they can only work on one team per contest. People planning to submit their timeline should give notice on the TIMELINE CONTEST thread, and if working in teams should list every team member. People may join into teams in progress, so long as they haven't already been on another team. Once they are stated as a member of a team, they can not join another team nor start an individual entry for that contest.

At the time of the deadline, they would submit their timelines on separate threads (which forum?).

We can have a best overall, but also other categories (most divergent, most realistic, etc.).

Thoughts, comments? When should the deadline be set?

Hmm...I like the idea. I won't be able to take part, probably, since I have way too much stuff else to do (like, for example, the HSC), but I wish the contestants luck. I may be able to join a team as a minor member...

I'd be interested, though the PODs a bit outside of the range I like to start TLs in I think I might be able to do something....

Diamond

Banned
I might be interested in this. I'd say to give people a little more time for their entries though - maybe three months instead of two?

I might be interested in this. I'd say to give people a little more time for their entries though - maybe three months instead of two?

I don't suppose we'd happen to see a update to Washington's Warlocks before you entered such a contest would we? [/shameless begging]

:D

Glen

Okay, so unless there is some objection, let us tentatively set the date to post your Timeline Contest entries as April 1, 2007.

What categories should we have?

And should we form a separate thread for people to indicate they are working on a contest timeline, or should we just rename this thread as appropriate and have them chime in here?

Glen

So far I've got potential contestants as:

Imajin
Diamond
Amerigo Vespucci
FENK
Blochead

And as potential teammembers:

BlackMage
Justin Pickard

Last edited:

Diamond

Banned
How are we going to judge this? Should we have an open poll (you can create one of your masterpieces, Glen :D ), or should we have a panel of three, like we did with the Map Contest? Personally, I think it should be an open poll, to get the broadest sampling possible.

Glen

How are we going to judge this? Should we have an open poll (you can create one of your masterpieces, Glen :D ), or should we have a panel of three, like we did with the Map Contest? Personally, I think it should be an open poll, to get the broadest sampling possible.

I'd go with the open poll....as you say, I have a perchant for them.

Glen

Any other thoughts/comments? I say get started on those timelines (or at least thinking about them).

Good luck, contestants.

PS - Can someone suck BlackMage in?;)

What categories should we have?

And should we form a separate thread for people to indicate they are working on a contest timeline, or should we just rename this thread as appropriate and have them chime in here?

Keep this thread, I'd say. For categories... how about "most creative," "most realistic," "most fantastic," and "best-written."