WI Hitler invades Sweden

Why should he? We were acting the way he wanted up to Stalingrad anyway giving in to all German wishes like trainmovement

NapoleonXIV

Banned
All by himself?:eek:

Seriously, I don't see why he'd do this.

Yep, sorta like Hess in England, only hostile.

I use "Hitler" instead of "Germany" to save the whole businss of saying its in WWII, that's a standard convention, wisenheimer:p

Wasn't he upset about the Brits using steel merchants as spys one time, and/or didn't he get antsy about the continued supplies of Swedish steel?

Yep, sorta like Hess in England, only hostile.

I use "Hitler" instead of "Germany" to save the whole businss of saying its in WWII, that's a standard convention, wisenheimer:p

Wasn't he upset about the Brits using steel merchants as spys one time, and/or didn't he get antsy about the continued supplies of Swedish steel?

Everybody spied on the Swedish but Sweden did a god job capturing them. Stockholm was a sort of open city to spes exept for the Swedish secret police and they did a good job. There where some atemps that might have lead to some kind of intervention (Brittish blowing up a harbour comes to mind).

Sweden would be occupied by Germany for the rest of the war, similar as Norway or Denmark. Except for the North, which'd become Finnish. After the war, everything'd be restored. Unless the Allies decided to land in Norway instead of Italy / Normandy (or in addition - Stalin wouldn't like it).

To make this plausible you need to make the Swedes not accept Hitler invading Norway or something like that.

I don´t know what would need to happen, but having Sweden join the allies, fight the germans, end up occupied would be interesting.

How would it affect the way Swedes think of themselves.

La resistance-Svenska modstanden?:D

Anyway, how would it affect them postwar? Stronger military? A less strong social democrat party? Swedes would definitely be more poor in the beginning of the 50s affecting how they act. Would they go even more left? Or more to the right?

It´s an interesting speculation.

Anyway, how would it affect them postwar? Stronger military? A less strong social democrat party? Swedes would definitely be more poor in the beginning of the 50s affecting how they act. Would they go even more left? Or more to the right?

It´s an interesting speculation.

Swedish Nato membership anyone?

Nationalism today would probably be much stronger, like in Norway. Sweden would be a part of NATO and because the greater tolerance for nationalism a populistic right-wing party would have gained much support, just like in Norway and Denmark.

Nationalism today would probably be much stronger, like in Norway. Sweden would be a part of NATO and because the greater tolerance for nationalism a populistic right-wing party would have gained much support, just like in Norway and Denmark.

Huh :confused:

Excatly what do you have in mind when you say "populistic right-wing party" in Norway's case? FrP?

The rise of that party certainly can not be traced to anything remotly conected with events during ww2.

Norway had to fight for its independence, Sweden just stayed "neutral". Thus nationalism in Norway became more accepted than in Sweden.

Norway had to fight for its independence, Sweden just stayed "neutral". Thus nationalism in Norway became more accepted than in Sweden.

Yes I am aware of that :rolleyes:

but what has that got to do with your aleged "populistic right-wing party" :confused:

Germany probably surrenders months earlier after the US/UK and Swedish resistance destroy vital industry such as ball-bearing plants.

Both the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine U-boat production would have effectively collapsed without Swedish(and Swiss) industry.

Why would it?

The Finns were quite wery of things like this. It did not happen to the northern of Norway, even tough the Germans offered some parts.

OK, didn't know that. The nazis wanted to give northern Sweden to Finland, but if the Finns decline...

Northern Sweden is where the mines are, isn't it? I could see the Nazis wanting to occupy that personally, Southern Sweden could have a puppet like Norway if they can find someone willing.

So nothern Sweden would become a part of Germany but seperated, like Crimea would be?

Oddball: "but what has that got to do with your aleged "populistic right-wing party".

Because people often associate nationalists with nazis. If the nationalists in Sweden had to fight the nazis (like Norway) the nationalists would have been seen as heroic, but since they never had to fight them, or at worst even were pro-nazi, nationalism often is today seen as pro-nazi also. When a party like FrP is created in Sweden they will be seen as very suspicious, of course it doesn't help that many of the founders or members have past in less democratic organisations. But would a leader Pia Kjærsgaard or even Carl Hagen stand a chance?

Last edited:
Because people often associate nationalists with nazis. If the nationalists in Sweden had to fight the nazis (like Norway) the nationalists would have been seen as heroic, but since they never had to fight them, or at worst even were pro-nazi, nationalism often is today seen as pro-nazi also. When a party like FrP is created in Sweden they will be seen as very suspicious, of course it doesn't help that many of the founders or members have past in less democratic organisations. But would a leader Pia Kjærsgaard or even Carl Hagen stand a chance?

But this is were you draw wrong conclusions.

I hardly think you can label those who fought against the germans in Norway for nationalists. Those who did was rather from a well mixed political stand, only the far right and (initialy) the communist did not.

The phenomen of FrP is of a much newer carracter. Carl I Hagen would probably not stand a chance in the political environment in Norway in the 40ties, 50ties and 60ties neither.