What if the F-16 Falcon lost in the contract bid of 1974?

HelloLegend

Banned
In OTL, Congress picked F-16 for the Air Force, and YF-17 (remodeled to F-18) for the Navy, because Navy needed a double engine, folding wing aircraft, whereas the Air Force picked the F-16 for versatility.

What if Congress had decided against the Falcon, period. And gave both the Air Force and Navy, the F-18 Hornet, then later the F-18 Super Hornet E/F models (aka Rhinos)?

The F-20 was intended more for foreign markets due to the fact that the U.S. refused to allow GE to export the F-16.

Does anybody know why the F-16 was picked over the FY-17?

The cost savings per unit could result in an early adaptation of the JSF idea under a different name.

Not quite. Despite the outward family resemblance of the F/A-18 and the YF-17, they're considerably different aircraft. The Hornet has not only considerable stregthening of the airframe and undercarriage(standard for Naval aviation), but is a complete resign, merely based around the same design principals and concepts. The YF-17 has more in common with it's grandpappy, the F-5, then anything. The Navy, while encourages to pick an aircraft from the contenders in the LWF competition, weren't bound to design requirements of the LWF.

In the long term, winning the LWF would be very, very good for Northrup. The contracts the GE got with NATO and US Friendly allies would all presumably goto them, either in the form of the F-17, or the F-20.

The F-20 was intended more for foreign markets due to the fact that the U.S. refused to allow GE to export the F-16.

Does anybody know why the F-16 was picked over the FY-17?

Not the F-16 per se; it was the engine, a Pratt & Whitney F100. Originally a version of the F-16 known as the F-16/79, equipped with a GE J79, was intended for export, I believe due to President Jimmy Carter's belief that he could reduce arms proliferation by only selling shitty downgraded versions of weapons, but eventually they ended up exporting F-16s with the F-100. I don't think anyone wanted the F-16/79.

And the F-16 is manufactured by General Dynamics, which would be GD, not GE, which would be General Electric.

Apologies for the pedantry.

Does anybody remember that YF-17, unlike F-18, had one engine?

Anyway, with F-17 instead of F-16 as main fighter for USAF it might end European NATO countries adopting as main-line fighter Mirage F1 or SAAB JA 37 Viggen...

Does anybody remember that YF-17, unlike F-18, had one engine?

The YF-17 had two engines:

Link

Anyway, with F-17 instead of F-16 as main fighter for USAF it might end European NATO countries adopting as main-line fighter Mirage F1 or SAAB JA 37 Viggen...

Why?

The French and the Swedes already had the Mirage and Viggen in service by the time the F-16 was ready and both were offered as competitors to the F-16 without much success.

The YF-17 had two engines:

Okay, my mistake.

Tizoc said:
Why?

The French and the Swedes already had the Mirage and Viggen in service by the time the F-16 was ready and both were offered as competitors to the F-16 without much success.

So? That F-16 was chosen as main fighter by most European NATO countries in OTL, it doesn't mean in ATL they'd choose F-17. Besides in case of Viggen part of its failure was the fact that its engine is a licensed, if modified, Pratt & Whitney JT8D-22 - and Swedes were forbidded to sell aircraft with this engine to countries where US-made aircraft were proposed

So? That F-16 was chosen as main fighter by most European NATO countries in OTL, it doesn't mean in ATL they'd choose F-17. Besides in case of Viggen part of its failure was the fact that its engine is a licensed, if modified, Pratt & Whitney JT8D-22 - and Swedes were forbidded to sell aircraft with this engine to countries where US-made aircraft were proposed

Ah. Misscomunication.

When you said:

I took "end" to mean "end any chances" of the European countries adopting the Mirage and Viggen, instead going on mass for the F-17.

In OTL, Congress picked F-16 for the Air Force, and YF-17 (remodeled to F-18) for the Navy, because Navy needed a double engine, folding wing aircraft, whereas the Air Force picked the F-16 for versatility.

What if Congress had decided against the Falcon, period. And gave both the Air Force and Navy, the F-18 Hornet, then later the F-18 Super Hornet E/F models (aka Rhinos)?

Rember there was also an Up dated F-8 also.

Why would the USAF pick the YF-17? From what I've read, the YF-16 was a little faster and it shared an engine with the F-15, which would have had logistical advantages. But the YF-16 had only a single engine and narrow landing gear, and would have been a poor choice for carrier operations.

Anyway, though, what's the likelihood of the YF-17 actually winning the competition?

Rember there was also an Up dated F-8 also.
The Crusader III was well and truely dead and buried by this stage (it was an F-4 competitor...) and IIRC the various F-8 upgrade proposals ('twosader', 'Speyed'* etc.) are also getting on in age...

*fitted with the Rolls-Royce Spey jet engine... not castracted...

HelloLegend

Banned
Why would the USAF pick the YF-17? From what I've read, the YF-16 was a little faster and it shared an engine with the F-15, which would have had logistical advantages. But the YF-16 had only a single engine and narrow landing gear, and would have been a poor choice for carrier operations.

Anyway, though, what's the likelihood of the YF-17 actually winning the competition?

In real life Congress split the difference... and went with both the F-16 and the YF-17 (F-18).

I know, but what would the chance be of the YF-17 being built both for the USAF and the USN?

Probably not too likely, I don't think.

With the F-111 in the mind at that time it wasn’t possible but an interesting question about the F-16 if it cancelled by the USAF would be: what would have other armed forces have done? Because in many European countries it was a close call. I think it we would have seen a totally different arms industry today. The European industry would be much stronger and probably the JSF program would be non-existing.