Hitler decides to invade Switzerland

If Hitler invades Switzerland, what would happen?

• The Swiss would go guerilla warfare. And WIN.

Votes: 90 47.4%
  • The same thing, except the Swiss lose.

Votes: 70 36.8%
  • Just an Anschluss would be enough.

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Blame Thande for making me make this thread!

Votes: 16 8.4%

• Total voters
I can see the Swiss fighting literally for decades (with some of them hiding in their own mountain fortresses). I don't think they could be pacified except by mass extermination.

Probably. The Germans might take the flat land, but not the mountains. Every Swiss man knew how to use a gun, almost everyone had one at home (or knew how to get one), and the Swiss government had told the people to continue the fight even if the Germans won and the government would tell the people to stop fighting.

I doubt it would make sense from a German point of view, at least until the war with Russia is over. It would just be somewhere else for the Weremacht to be stationed. Switzerland was surrounded by enemies, and could be made to bend to the German will on most issues anyway.

If they did invade though, I suspect that a puppet Government would be set up.

I agree with Kabraloth, it'd be a very long and very bloody fighting... (I guess that's the reason why Hitler didn't plan that in r/l in the first place)

And it is always beneficial in wartime to have respected neutral nations to act as intermediaries... and somewhere peaceful where German officers and politicians could stow their loot.

The top option in that they would still be fighting by the time Germany is defeated -guerilla fighters can never beat occupiers entirely.

Guerillas don't have to win, they just don't have to lose. What are the nazis supposed to do? Turn around every stone in the Alps (literally) to check whether a Swiss guerilla sits behind it?

But since they're nazis and don't care for ethics, they might decide to take the civilians (family members of the fighters) to prison and blackmail the Swiss "if you don't surrender, they DIE!"

Guerillas don't have to win, they just don't have to lose. What are the nazis supposed to do? Turn around every stone in the Alps (literally) to check whether a Swiss guerilla sits behind it?

But since they're nazis and don't care for ethics, they might decide to take the civilians (family members of the fighters) to prison and blackmail the Swiss "if you don't surrender, they DIE!"

lol!! but really the nazis werent ever going to be that stupid and what would they gain?? i cant really see myself??:confused:

Actually Hitler had planned to invade Switzerland when the right opportunity had come (after defeating Russia and making peace with Britain). He wanted to divide it along its nationalities between Germany, France and Italy. It was called "Operation Tannenbaum" (fir tree).

The bulk of Switzerland including most of the women and children fall in the first two to three weeks. Assuming Germany doesn't make 'suggestions' regarding the fate of their dependents why...the last Swiss resistance crumbles shortly after the six months of food in the Alps is eaten.

German losses are quite moderate.

Only if the Swiss civilians decide not to help the partisans with smuggling food. Who can control all the mountain paths, esp. with 1940s' tech?

The bulk of Switzerland including most of the women and children fall in the first two to three weeks. Assuming Germany doesn't make 'suggestions' regarding the fate of their dependents why...the last Swiss resistance crumbles shortly after the six months of food in the Alps is eaten.

German losses are quite moderate.

Exactly the strategy of the russians in afgahanistan!!!
Oh, the two countries are not compareble?
Exactly the strategy of the british in cyprus!!!

Guerilla warfare is fairly easy to crush if the occupying power is willing to devote enough resources and be unspeakably brutal to the civilian population in the process. Seeing as we are discussing the Nazis, I'd imagine they have the requisite brutality, and if they wait until the Soviets and British are done with the Germans would have the resources too.

HueyLong

Banned
Thing is, neither the Soviets nor the British were as brutal as the Nazis.

Oh, and Switzerland doesn't have any ideological or religious movement for resistance.

Thing is, neither the Soviets nor the British were as brutal as the Nazis.

Oh, and Switzerland doesn't have any ideological or religious movement for resistance.

The Soviet Union in Stalin's time was around Nazi levels of brutality, but Stalin had been dead for decades by the time the Soviets invaded Afghanistan.

I would think that being heavily armed mountain people who dislike outsiders would be enough to motivate resistance.

Switzerland ist unable to defend it's important cities when the germans attack. They will make peace after they have lost most of their cities. Some stuborn people will still resist but I expect that the resistance level will be compareable to occupied france.