The Perfectly Uneventful Hundred Days

Thande

Donor
I did this one a few months ago and it didn't get any responses. A pity, because I think it's one of the more interesting WIs. Would the restored kingdom of France have been more stable if there wasn't the embarrassing memory of it collapsing as soon as Nappy showed up? Would the Congress of Vienna broken down altogether? Would a Bonaparte dynasty end up ruling Elba as 'Emperor' until it turned into one of those Liechtenstein-style crazy micro-states?

And what would happen with the War of 1812?

Would the Congress of Vienna broken down altogether?

Probably not, but its decisions would have been different. France would have been a bit bigger and Joachim Murat would have been king of Naples, those are the ones I know of.

Would a Bonaparte dynasty end up ruling Elba as 'Emperor' until it turned into one of those Liechtenstein-style crazy micro-states?

It's very likely he would have been moved to the Azores or St Helena.

Probably not, but its decisions would have been different. France would have been a bit bigger and Joachim Murat would have been king of Naples, those are the ones I know of.

It's very likely he would have been moved to the Azores or St Helena.

The Azores would have been interesting...

Well one would have to wonder why Portugal would cede them for such a purpose.

If there could be found a reason, and a Napoleonic rump state exists there, this could have some consequences later on- note the strategic importance of the Azores in the post-WW2 era...

I've wondered, was it possible for Napoleon to survive the 100 days (sorry about this being off topic). He was so power hungry, he probably would have over extended himself even if he won at Waterloo.

Susano

Banned
If Nappy remains quiet, why risk disturbing the peace by exiling Napoleon again? Doesnt make much sense. And France lost territory after the 100 days? Which?

If Nappy remains quiet, why risk disturbing the peace by exiling Napoleon again? Doesnt make much sense.

It makes sense if they feel their position is secure. Napoleon at Elba is already a risk.

And France lost territory after the 100 days? Which?

I believe this is it:

http://www.maproom.org/maps/books/europe/met/met.pl?m=0001
http://www.maproom.org/maps/books/europe/met/met.pl?m=0002
http://www.maproom.org/maps/books/europe/met/met.pl?m=0006
http://www.maproom.org/maps/books/europe/met/met.pl?m=0007

Other sources mention being reduced from the 1792 boundaries to the 1790 ones. The maps present a somewhat different settlement, so I assume the other sources simplify things.

Yes, they lost the cities of Landau and Saarlouis.

The US might do worse in the war... might they even lose it? Would the Brits annex Maine, or more?

Thande

Donor
Yes, they lost the cities of Landau and Saarlouis.

The US might do worse in the war... might they even lose it? Would the Brits annex Maine, or more?

Michigan seems likely...perhaps. Mind you, what happened on the ground (and on the sea) in the War of 1812 seemed to have little relation to the peace settlement. After all, Britain ceded plenty of land to the US only a few years later.

Hendryk

Banned
One suggestion I made at some point was what I called the "Master and Apprentice" WI: Napoleon doesn't go back to France from Elba; instead, he gets word of that enthusiastic admirer of his, one Simon Bolivar, and goes to Venezuela to teach the promising young man a thing or two about empire-building.

Thande

Donor
One suggestion I made at some point was what I called the "Master and Apprentice" WI: Napoleon doesn't go back to France from Elba; instead, he gets word of that enthusiastic admirer of his, one Simon Bolivar, and goes to Venezuela to teach the promising young man a thing or two about empire-building.
That's an interesting variation on the 'Napoleonic United States of South America' that Cochrane &co wanted to create by rescuing Nappy from St Helena in 1820 (but of course he died first). Probably more likely for the resulting state to hold together if it's formed that early.

I did this one a few months ago and it didn't get any responses. A pity, because I think it's one of the more interesting WIs. Would the restored kingdom of France have been more stable if there wasn't the embarrassing memory of it collapsing as soon as Nappy showed up? Would the Congress of Vienna broken down altogether? Would a Bonaparte dynasty end up ruling Elba as 'Emperor' until it turned into one of those Liechtenstein-style crazy micro-states?

And what would happen with the War of 1812?

It's likely if Napoleon had been paid his pension, he would have stayed on Elba a bit longer.

He ran out of money, and could not rule as he saw fit. Though Napoleon might still try to escape, he might be delayed a few more years.

If Nappy remains quiet, why risk disturbing the peace by exiling Napoleon again? Doesnt make much sense. And France lost territory after the 100 days? Which?
It seems the news about plans to exile Napoleon to St Helena and made him to responde.