Rye House Plot succeeds; King Charles II and James, Duke of York assassinated, 1673!

How old is charles illegetimate son? could he gain power?

Monmouth has just turned 34.

If we leave him out, the next heir is James's daughter Mary (OTL Mary II) who is 19, almost 20, and after her her sister Anne, who is 18, and after them, Mary's husband Willem (OTL William III).

Anyone for a war between Dutch William and James II, but James II is Monmouth?

Thande

Donor
Who says Britain ahs to stay a monarchy?

Only two decades since Cromwell. Well within living memory. Plenty of people remember the Republic. No-one in their right mind would want to go back to that...well except perhaps the Puritans and a few parliamentary radicals.

Basically, I think we'll see an earlier and more violent version of the Glorious Revolution, with some Protestant monarch being imported from Europe. The concerns about crypto-Catholicism, absolutism and French influence are basically the same in 1673 as they would be in 1688.

Darkest

Banned
Woah woah woah woah... I made a huge mistake. 1673? What was I thinking? My bad, I'm sorry.

The Rye House Plot was due to be executed in 1683.

If you don't mind if I make this scenario a little more specific... what if William III had not married Mary, daughter of James II? Who would be the best successor for the times? 34-year-old James Scott, Duke of Monmouth? Mary II of England (who might have she married if not William III of Orange)? Or even, maybe, a French noble?

Thande

Donor
Woah woah woah woah... I made a huge mistake. 1673? What was I thinking? My bad, I'm sorry.

The Rye House Plot was due to be executed in 1683.

If you don't mind if I make this scenario a little more specific... what if William III had not married Mary, daughter of James II? Who would be the best successor for the times? 34-year-old James Scott, Duke of Monmouth? Mary II of England (who might have she married if not William III of Orange)? Or even, maybe, a French noble?
Bear in mind that in OTL, Parliament just wanted to make Mary II Queen. But William insisted on becoming co-monarch, and I believe he pledged his support with the proviso that he was made such.

So if Mary married ANY European noble who had less force of will than William, Parliament might have got its way...she'd be Queen of England, and (whoever bloke) would have been whatever of wherever...

Of course they might have a child and continue that line...