But not from Spain. Assume that the Viceroys of Mexico or Peru will send several thousand conquistors to do the colony over.

An excellent point. It is one thing to have the financial and military resources to kick Stone Age natives out of some isolated area, throw up some trading posts, and send a few settlers. It is entirely another to have the resources to adequetely defend said colony from getting swallowed up by a more established power.

Glen

Its a worthy concept, be interesting to see where you go with it.

A Scottish Canal?

Nice, will the fact the land armies been destroyed mean this Spanish army is more determined to free the three survivors

If there on in the Istmaus of Panama, somebody said about the Scottish canal, if they controled it then they could become quite a power in the area and international arena.
Just a personal preference could you say some more about the reforming/rebuilding of the clan system

Queen Anne's War (1702–1713) was the second in a series of four French and Indian Wars fought between France and Great Britain in North America for control of the continent and was the counterpart of War of the Spanish Succession in Europe.

Early in the war, the English captured Spanish-held St. Augustine, Florida, in 1702. English military aid to the colonists was largely ineffective or deflected in defense of the areas around Charleston, South Carolina, and the New York–New England frontier with the Canadian territories. French forces and allied indigenous tribes attacked New England from Canada, destroying Deerfield, Massachusetts, in 1704. The Apalachee, the Spanish, and Catholicism were erased from Florida.

Following the capture of French-held Port Royal in 1710, Acadia became the British** province of Nova Scotia. By 1712 an armistice was declared. Under terms spelled out in the Treaty of Utrecht (1713), Britain gained Newfoundland, the Hudson Bay region, and the Caribbean island of St. Kitts. The peace lasted until the next of the French and Indian Wars, King George's War in 1744.

** In 1707, England and Scotland were unified as the Kingdom of Great Britain, sharing a single Parliament at Westminster under the Act of Union 1707. After this, Scottish troops joined their English counterparts in the war.

This is going to have a profound Infulence on the whole Eighteenth Century,

If France stays out, [Which I Doubt] Britian has a Chance to Resolve the SouthEast Border Claims in Britians Favor 60 years early.

Not to be a downer or anything... but this is Darien we're talking about... even today there are no roads going through this area... and wasn't it mainly crop failure and disease that did the Scots in? What happened to the crop failure and disease?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I wasn't enjoying this... I certainly am!
And your explanation has been very helpful to my enjoyment. I suppose you are right that with a little more support the colony stands a chance, especially if the English can bring in provisions and help keep the Spanish at bay. Do you think the Scots would find a way to deal with the diseases long term? Is it possible that they may even make advances in medical knowledge just by their being in the area? You have them making some contact and allying with the surrounding tribes--do they learn a little about basic disease prevention and treatment from them, perhaps?
I just feel that something has to give here... either the Scots have to make some (however slow) progress dealing with the problem, or morale is going to steadily decline along with the population (though people can be replaced with new colonists, most probably).

At the time there were no trade routes between the atlantic and the pacific, and as such ships had to sail south of argentina. this was hazardous and many were lost. The scots plan was to build a highway between the atlantic and the pacific, with which goods would be transferred, with a trading post on either side. This whilst not being easy would not be impossible, and the east india company also had the idea in the pipeline in otl, it was scrubbed after the scots failure. Control over this trade route would have been immensly important, to all european trading powers.

Yes, but wasn't that trade mostly Spanish? If the Spanish refuse to use the Darien highway and don't allow their colonies to trade with nations that do, then Darien will have to rely on contraband for its trade income. That won't be very lucrative until England gets the asiento (1715 in OTL, but now you have a war with Spain).

So James is three or so years early here, going up againt King William instead of Queen Anne.
This is Going to mess up the 1707 Union.

Slightly ok very dodgy idea but since James (elderly james's son) is only young could they turn him from catholisicm and make him the heir? doubt its possible but thought id say it anyway

But not from Spain. Assume that the Viceroys of Mexico or Peru will send several thousand conquistors to do the colony over.

Exactly.

It is a great 'what if' but looking at the situation, the ods were so against the Scots.
Hostile English government, Spain wishing to keep its monopoly/grip on 'New Spain' and hostile natives stacked up the odds.

If I recall rightly, the failure of this scheme so backrupted Scotland that it was easily induced into the Union with England later on...