TLIAW: För Storbritannien i Tiden

Introduction
fsit.png

Dear God in Heaven, what is that logo

I swear I don't know what you're talking about.

You've got the Three Crowns there, and it's all blue and yellow... but they're British crowns.

Yes - the mixture is very much intentional, I assure you.

So this is like what shiftygiant did a while back except with Swedish Prime Ministers instead of German Chancellors, is that right?

I believe the expression is "hit the nail on the head", old bean.

On the one hand, Labour hegemony, but on the other hand, Sweden. Is this scenario intentionally designed to make Meadow feel as conflicted as physically possible, or is that just a happy bonus?

...I'm going to go with the latter. Yeah, definitely the latter.

Well, good luck then. Based on your track record, you're going to need it.

Thanks, but-

Hang on a minute here. Timeline in a While?

-yeah.

You cheeky bastard.

I make no excuses, especially not for cheek.

Last edited:
Clement Attlee (1945-1950)
fsit-clem.png

Clement Attlee (Labour)
1945-1950
The Prelude

Labour's long spell in power began rather unexpectedly. Heading into the 1945 general election, the first held since the war's end, Winston Churchill was the most popular Prime Minister in memory. His iconic image as “the Man who Won the War” resounded with the people, and wherever he went during the election campaign he was met with huge cheering crowds. However, the man is separate from the party he leads, and never has this been more clear than in 1945 – Churchill's actual policies were felt too close to the austerity policies pursued during the Great Depression of the 1930s, which had poor effect against the mass unemployment and economic hardship of that period.

Labour, on the other hand, promised a new tack. Their now-legendary 1945 manifesto, Let Us Face the Future, featured a bold vision of a welfare state, a New Jerusalem forged from the ashes of the old order, in which no child would be left behind, no sick or injured left untreated, and no elderly left uncared for. It was a vision that held appeal in a land devastated by a decade of economic depression and war, and in the end the Conservatives found themselves trounced by a margin of two to one in seats. For the first time ever, Britain had a majority Labour government, and when Clement Attlee went to the Palace on the morning after the election it was at the head of a government unlike any other thus far in the nation's history.

Immediately the Labour Government set to work implementing its policies. Large swathes of the economy – coal, steel, the railways, the Bank of England, the electric grid – were brought under public ownership, and large subsidies for council housing was introduced, leading to a massive surge in home construction. Most boldly of all, the government set about consolidating the various private and charitable health trusts and insurance systems into a single unified National Health Service, which would cover every British subject regardless of income and whose services would be free at point of use. However, all was not well, as the post-war economic slump forced the government to maintain rationing schemes for a variety of consumer goods, a situation that made the government in general and Chancellor Sir Stafford Cripps in particular deeply unpopular with the British public.

By the 1950 general election, however, the situation had improved to the extent that most of the rationing could be done away with, and Labour entered its first election defending a majority government with a message of prosperity delivered and the need for continued economic planning in order to safeguard this prosperity. It must've resounded with the electorate, for the Labour Government was returned. Their majority was smaller than in 1945, to be sure, but still a solid workable mandate to continue their policies.

It was not, however, Attlee's task to carry its policies into the new decade, for in May of 1950, after an evening of negotiations with visiting French and American dignitaries, he slumped out of his Hackney carriage and collapsed onto the pavement. The distressed bystanders called an ambulance, but by the time it arrived it was too late. The architect of the New Jerusalem, the second in a row of Labour Prime Ministers that was to span the history of modern Britain until the present, and the first one to head a pure Labour government without needing Liberal support, was dead. He was mourned by a nation, and the grandees of his party turned to selecting a new man to lead the country. Their choice was unexpected, but in hindsight, not a bad one.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with Targ Erlander and his twenty three years in power

Interesting.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with Targ Erlander and his twenty three years in power

Ah yes, needless to say I had to pull a bit of a fast one to make that work. The result is a somewhat Shuffling the Deck-ish feel to the whole thing.

Zeldar155

Banned
I look forward to Britain becoming the true gritty social-democratic state every state should strive for. British name for Anslagstavlen tho?

Indeed.

After looking into the Prime Ministers of Sweden, Attlee is obviously the equivalent of Per Albin Hansson.

Obviously the Tories would be the equivalent to the (Liberal) People's Party. I'm assuming that the Liberals are the equivalent to the Centre Party.

Looking forwards to more. :cool:
I guess the question is who'd be the Moderates then. There's going to be some interesting shuffling once we reach the 80s and 90s, I think.

Indeed.

After looking into the Prime Ministers of Sweden, Attlee is obviously the equivalent of Per Albin Hansson.

Obviously the Tories would be the equivalent to the (Liberal) People's Party. I'm assuming that the Liberals are the equivalent to the Centre Party.

Looking forwards to more. :cool:

No, the Liberals are the Liberals (with shades of green once we get to the 21st century). As for who the Centre and Moderates are, wait and see…