Falcons of Cordoba - The Al-Andalus Chronicles

FORWARD: AL-ANDALUS CHRONICLES: Millenia Edition

3KhdqVo.jpg

A depiction of Tariq ibn Ziyad, conqueror of Al-Andalus during the Umayyad conquest of 711

The history of Al-Andalus is a narrative of triumph and tragedy. Our history books are decorated with the names of great rulers, legendary warriors, great thinkers and innovaters, and pioneers of all kind. The culture of this nation has been one of the most influential in the shaping of the modern world, the culture being that which has been the synthesis of the many groups, ethnicities, and religions that have called Al-Andalus home.

Al-Andalus is as old as time itself, having been ruled by the Phoenicians, Carthagians, Romans and finally the Visigoths in the pre - Muslim history of Iberia. However, it is agreed upon that the beginnings of the cultural continuum of Al-Andalus stem from 711. In 711, on the invitation of the disgruntled Count Julian of Ceuta, an invasion by the Ummayad Caliphate, led by Freedman Tariq Ibn Ziyad, conquered the Iberian Peninsula. This had irreversible effects upon the future of Iberia, and the peninsula was never the same again, Al-Andalus had been born.

The notion of Al-Andalus was further developed in 756, when Abd-Ar-Rahman ibn Mu'uwyah, one of the sole progeny of the ousted Ummayad dynasty, declared himself independent Emir of Cordoba. Abd-Ar-Rahman I was a man who brushed shoulders with death many times in his life, travelled the perilous journey across the Islamic world chased by assassins, and defeated his many rivals once arriving in Al-Andalus. He established his rules by building infrastructure, developing roads and making the government system, defeating many coups, conspiracies and revolts. He was truly a legendary king, who's life and deeds have been documented and mythologised within our national conscience. Despite this, the Emirate (and later caliphate) he left behind could only at best be described as an "an order of chaos". No ruler could truly control the peninsula; revolts by semi-independent clients were regular, as well as wars with pestering Christian kingdoms.This can be examplified in the trouble with powerful revolters such as Umar ibn Hafsun, the leader of many alienated and angry alMuladi* and Mozarabs**, and united many anti-Ummayad factions, proving to be a great thorn in the side of both Emir Abdallah as well as Abd-Ar-Rahman III(although Umar ibn Hafsun was evntually vanquished upon losing the support of the Muladi when he converted to Catholicism). But despite all that, great rulers such as Abd Ar Rahman III (who founded the Caliphate) were able to create high culture in a time where it was unseen in Europe, control the sporadic rebellions, and challenge both the Europeans and threats from the Islamic world such as the Fatimids.

However, this is the Al-Andalus Chronicles: The Millenia Edition.This series will be detailing the 1000 history of the land known as the Falcons of Cordoba from the Declaration of Shura in 1018/409 to the present day, with contributions from many different historians, writers, political commentators and figures. The nation's intrinsically connected to our own history will also be heavily covered. This will be done through a mixture of semi-fictional narrative, contemporary analysis and historical documents.

*In the spirit of the 1000 year anniversary of the Shura -*

Glory is to God, Glory is to Andalus!

- Dr Hassan Al-Kitab

*Term for converts/descendants of converts to Islam amongst native Iberian, an Andalusian corruption of the Arabic term Muwalladun, meaning those of half-Arabic parentage. The term originally meant those who were of both Arabic and Iberian heritage within Al-Andalus, however due to the dilution of pure Arabic heritage in Al-Andalus, this meaning became defunct.

**An anachronistic term for Christians within Al-Andalus, who adopted many Arabic traditions and cultural aspects, especially in comparison to the Christian Iberian kingdoms of this era. An Andalusian corruption of the Arabic term for 'Those who adopt the ways of the Arab', not used by the Mozarabs of this era themselves, instead coming from a Catholic slur towards the Leonese, and then retroactively placed upon the Christian Andalusis of this period by later historians.

Last edited:
Yet another timeline on Al-Andalus from you?

No matter, I'm always game for it!

Thank you :)

Yes lol, this is another Al-Andalus scenario I find interesting, the previous was based around the Islamic conquest era whilst this during the era of the Caliphate of Cordoba.

Prologue: The Tejan War (Part One) - The Calm Before the Storm

rWkLhNn.jpg

Statue of Al-Hakam outside the Cordoba Al-Qasr, near his burial ground, a tradition for all Andalusi Caliphs

To understand the context and importance of the 1018 Shura, we must explain the events preceding. The Tejan War (Old Arabic: Harb Al-Tijan, Andalusi:Guerrb Al-Tejan) as it has become to be known, caused a huge level of destruction, the stagnation of Arts& Culture, and destroyed the precarious structure of government that existed. Brother fought against brother, father against son, tribal kinship loyalties which had previously been the most sacred bond in Andalusi (and not just Andalusi, but all of the Islamic World) culture, were torn asunder in a conflict, which as the name described, was the duel of the various crowns (kingdoms) involved in the conflict. It is said by an old al-Garbian proverb that the Tejan War showed both the might of the pen and the sword. It has also become known as the first of the four (arguably five if including the As-Sicilia War/Pyrenee Crusade) Great Fitnas* of Al-Andalus.

Before the war, the Emirate, (and later Caliphate) of Cordoba was founded upon a hybrid of Imperial and Tribal governing structure. and as to expected, this was not a stable form of government. Whilst the Emir/Caliph maintained absolute power in both civil and religious matters, this was only on paper, and in practice many semi-independent fiefdoms formed, who were often at war with the central government in Cordoba. The fiefdoms were made from almost all ethnicities within the peninsula, Syrian Arabs, Yemeni Arabs, Berbers and Muladis all controlled realms within Al-Andalus. Knowing all this, many historians come to the conclusion that the war was destined to come due to Al-Andalus's long term instability, that the war was merely the reaction of the instability reaching its point of limit. Examples of powerful families of this era include the Banu Hayyay of both Sevila and Carmona, Banu Muhallab of Guadix, Jerez and Cádiz, as well as the famous Banu Qasi of the Basque region (crushed by Caliph Abd-Ar-Rahman III). Every single one of these families would be involved in the Tejan War.

It is also important to note the symbiotic relationship that Al-Andalus, and the Caliphate of Cordoba specifically, shared with the Maghreb region of North Africa. Not only did the majority of Al-Andalus's Islamic settlers (Berbers) originate from there, but the two regions share a very close and intertwined history. The Idrisid dynasty, who dominated the Maghreb of this period, were installed into power after swearing allegiance to Abd-Ar-Rahman III, of course only to switch loyalties to the Umayyad's Fatamid rivals. Andalusi naval presence was also felt due to the existence of a naval fleet created in Almeria, which protected the Caliph's interests in the North African coast. By the end of Abd-Ar Rahman III's reign the cities of Ceuta and Tangiers were firmly under Andalusi control. On the other hand, Maghrebi influence on the Andalus is just as important to note, with Maghrawa Berbers being prominent in Al-Andalus as mercenaries, administrators and made up the majority of pastoral farmers. Berbers later also made up the bulk of the armies of both Al-Mansur I and II, with the dreaded and feared Al-Ghaib being the most famous example. The Idrisids themselves also played a major part of the late Tejan War, in both the southern and Maghrebi theatres. Thus, the role of Berbers within Al-Andalus and Andalusis within the Maghreb is incredibly important to both the war and the history of Al-Andalus in general, and within this period specifically contributes to the fragile state of the status quo.

However, despite the evidence of long term structural problems that caused the war, we must look at the royal figures who were the immediate cause. These are the ones whose actions and personalities live in the mind of the romantics, who still write great epics, poetry and prose about the Tejan War to this day. We look at Abd-Ar-Rahman III, the first Caliph of Cordoba, a magnificent ruler who was able to control his enemies, both internal and external. One of his most important contributions to Andalusi government however, was his introduction of the Saqiliba** in administration. Based on the Mashriqi*** tradition of slave soldiers, they would become extremely important later on in Andalusian history. His son, Caliph Al-Hakam was also able to harness the same majesty his father did, as another great patron of Andalusi culture, who kept stability in the face of adversity. Al-Hakam also avoided war with the Christian kingdoms of the north at all costs, allowing both the caliphate and region to stabilise. (However, it is also during the reign of Al-Hakam in which the events that led to the schism between the kingdoms of Leon and Pamplona occurred, which can be seen as a great positive for the Caliphate). Whilst saying this, it could be argued that Al-Hakam’s lack of action to prevent the subversive elements within his court were the reason for the war breaking out, this is a hotly debated topic and to this day no conclusive answer has been decided.

That begs the question, why? What happened next? How did the order balance steep so low that what would be considered one of the first ever examples of 'total war' would break out?
Well that will be explained next....

* Fitna is an Arabic term, both classical and modern, with connotations towards trial, tribulation and strife. The term also has high levels of religious undertones, having been referenced several times in the Qu'ran and being used to describe certain events within early Islamic history. Within the context of Andalusi history, the term fitna has been used to describe events within Andalusi history that are especially considered times of trouble, of which the Tejan War is the first of the "Four Great Fitnas" of Al-Andalus. The idea of the four events being grouped together is a recent conception, in the effort to provide narrative style of history that has become popular in Al-Andalus.
** Andalusified version of Arabic term Siqlabi, meaning slaves of slavic origin. Saqilaba were very common from the 10th century to the 17th century in Al-Andalus, having roles as palace guards, adminsitrators, harem girls, and many mistresses of important Andalusi nobles and even Caliphs belonged to the Saqilaba ethnicity. the homeland of the Saqilab was identified as the balkans by 10th century historian Ibn Al-Faqih, an important part of the Volga slave trade. The Saqilaba have had an immense impaxct on Andalusi history, which will be further elaborated on. In modern Al-Andalus, the descendants of the Saqilaba are hard to determine, as most male Saqilaba within the caliphate were Eunuchs, leaving their genetic legacy as almost entirely through the maternal lines. The trade was ended in the 17th century.
***Meaning 'East''or ''Orient' within both Arabic and Andalusi, generally referring to the Levant, although definitions have stretched to including Persia, the Arabian Peninsula, Egypt and even Byzantium. The ideas of the Islamic World have often been divided along the lines of 'Maghrebi'(Western) and ''Mashriqi'(Eastern). Al-Andalus falls into the former category, and has often been seen as the outlier of what is considered Maghrebi, in contrast to Persia which acts the same role in the Mashriq.

Last edited:
Great start. But I have two corrections/suggestions for you.
It's Harb Al-Tijan. As for andalusi arabic it would be harb a'tijaan or harb tijaan.
Atleast that's how OTL modern andalusi sounds like.

Great start. But I have two corrections/suggestions for you.
It's Harb Al-Tijan. As for andalusi arabic it would be harb a'tijaan or harb tijaan.
Atleast that's how OTL modern andalusi sounds like.

Ah I'll edit the Arabic, thank you.

And as for Andalusi, I've been heavily implying that the language ITTL will be a distinct language from Arabic. That's why Harb is corrupted into Guerrb, which takes influence from the Romance Guerra in Castillian/Modern Spanish, but again I'll try and make it resemble OTL Andalusian Arabic a bit more, as I am fluent in neither Arabic or any Iberian language.

If you have any more suggestions on how the language of Al-Andalus wil form they are welcome and I will take them into consideration.:eek:

Last edited:
Is Mozarabic still have a presence in this scenario?

Well I don't wanna give too much away...But the long and short of it is yes. Mozarabic as a dialect will have heavy influence upon the language of Al-Andalus, but it being called Mozarabic will not be a self - titled thing (and it never was OTL).

The Mozarab culture will also be heavily featured....In ways that I shouldn't spoil :D.

Ah I'll edit the Arabic, thank you.

And as for Andalusi, I've been heavily implying that the language ITTL will be a distinct language from Arabic. That's why Harb is corrupted into Guerrb, which takes influence from the Romance Guerra in Castillian/Modern Spanish, but again I'll try and make it resemble OTL Andalusian Arabic a bit more, as I am fluent in neither Arabic or any Iberian language.

If you have any more suggestions on how the language of Al-Andalus wil form they are welcome and I will take them into consideration.:eek:

Ok, but since Arabic and Amazigh will be the dominant cultures I thought there would be less influence by romance languages. Especialy since you mentioned Meghrawa being involved in administration.
In Moroccan and Algerian Arabic Guerra, l'guerra or elguerra is also being used because of the spanish and french occupiers.
I think Moroccan Arabic, especialy the northern dialect, is probably the closest you can get to andalusi arabic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroccan_Arabic
Also Andalusi Arabic is still being used in classical moroccan/algerian music.

Ok, but since Arabic and Amazigh will be the dominant cultures I thought there would be less influence by romance languages. Especialy since you mentioned Meghrawa being involved in administration.
In Moroccan and Algerian Arabic Guerra, l'guerra or elguerra is also being used because of the spanish and french occupiers.
I think Moroccan Arabic, especialy the northern dialect, is probably the closest you can get to andalusi arabic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroccan_Arabic
Also Andalusi Arabic is still being used in classical moroccan/algerian music.

Well, when I further elaborate upon the war, things in terms of the dominant culture will be more clear. I wanted Andalusi to be a distinct but still semitic language, with a lot of Romance influence, similar to Maltese for an OTL example.

I'm aware of the musical abilities of Andalusi Arabic and Muwashahat will be making an appearance ;).

The Last Mubazirun is born:

Bearded, strong burley men rushed through the corridors of the palace, they marched in formation, an intimidating sight. They were known as the hashem*, the royal guard. They were led by a man with Berber-esque features, sporting dreads and looking swarthy, but one could mistake him for a Yemeni. It was possible to tell he was the leader from his uniform, it was more prestigious, more well armored then his comrades, he also had the composure of a leader. They marched towards the court of the Caliph himself, to announce to him the important news.

"My lord, it is urgent!" one of the Hashem emerged, waiting at a typically oriental styled arched door, protected only by curtains.

"Who dares disturb me at my hour of leisure" The Caliph rested upon a sea of cushions, high as a mountain and lavished amongst pearls and jewels.
"It is your wife, my lord....she is in labour". The Hashem hesitated, the Caliph was not a man who was tolerant of the wastage of his valuable time, and why should he? Despite the life of luxuries, he had the hardest role within the realm...keeping the fragile order together, as his forefathers did.

"My wife?...What wife?" The Caliph was distracted; he was being entertained by many great dancers, musicians and all sorts of performers, the dancers, female and male alike, kept catching his attention.
"As-Syeda* Sobheya my Lord, the one you married some time ago". The Caliph had a strong rugged face, inherited from his tribal ancestors who survived in the harsh terrains of the Arabian desert since time innumerable. However, despite the Caliph was a man of many pleasures, his clothes made of material even a nobleman could dream of, his crown decorated with precious treasure, and the fact he had several Frankish beauties feeding him grapes as he spoke would be enough evidence to prove this.

The Caliph's memory was jostled, "Ahh...yes...her". He didn't seem too pleased, the expression on his bearded face showed this. "I suppose I should go see her then, labour you say? Let's hope this one is a boy, maybe this would get the court officials to stop discussing succession". The Caliph picked his strong, royal figure up and joined the royal guards.

The lead Hashem, despite his apparent high rank, he showed a level of caution when dealing with the Caliph. This made sense, considering he was not only his employer, his head of government but also his God’s representative on Earth. The Caliph was an immense title, and as such anyone capable of holding it so well should be revered, regardless of the Caliph's eccentricity. At this point, he was still in the honey moon stage of his reign, his father having only deceased two years prior.

"What should I name the boy?" The Caliph asked the leader of the Hashem, as they journeyed through the architectural amazement that was the Medina Azahara. Built during the reign of the Caliph's father, it is monument to the power of Al-Andalus and the Ummayad dynasty. The warmth of the Andalusian sun in spring captured the moment, symbolizing the birth of the new.

"You ask me my Lord? I think..." The Hashem Leader panicked and had to think quickly, he could not utter something wrong or offensive to the Caliph. As they continued to walk in the upper echelons, they looked through the courtyard of the Medina Azahara and saw the statues in the middle. One of the great Abd-Ar-Rahman III, first Caliph of Cordoba, and the genuine Az-zahara, his beloved concubine, both graced the already magnificent scene.
Inspired, the guard replied "Abd-Ar-Rahman, my lord!....After your father of course".

The Caliph looked surprised and pleased at the remark, however his look still perplexed. "Not a bad suggestion, Abd-Ar-Rahman's have often been the best of our leaders". Alluding to the original founder of the Iberian Umayyads, Abd-Ar-Rahman I. "But Caliph's named Al-Hakam have not been terrible either". The Caliph could be witty or charming when he wanted to.
"My dear friend, I wish to apologise for my earlier rudeness, my pleasure time is not the best time". He looked deep into the eyes of the guard; he was not a bad looking man himself. "Tell me, Hashem, what is your name?".
"Hisham, my lord".
"Hisham you say? Another great ruler of this land. It has been decided". The Caliph gave an expression of content.
"My lord, naming your child after me!?" The Hashem seemed shocked and so did the rest of his brigade, this was extremely unorthodox.
"You are a good man Hashem, proven by the fact I have yet to see an assasination upon me". He gave the Hashem a friendly pat on the back, which in other terms could have been misconstrued as something more.

They had arrived at the chambers of Subheya. She was nearing the end of labour, the baby would arrive soon. What was unexpected though, was an unexpected face. It was the face of Abu Amir Muhammad, a manager of the Crown estates. Little did the Caliph (or anyone for that matter) know, this would be a sign of the great change to come.

"How good to see you my lord! We have been patiently waiting for hours now, poor Subheya has been in screaming pain as long as I can remember". Abu Amir put his hand forward to embrace the Caliph.
"Abu Amir....I had not expected you here, what a...pleasant surprise". The two powerful, Arabian noblemen awkwardly embraced. The two shared many similar features; both tall in stature, had a face that harkened back to their Middle Eastern forefathers and both had the presence of a great king. Needless to say, a room is never big enough for two of these kind.

"I heard the unmistakeable sound of a woman in pain, and I could not help but come to the rescue. And to my surprise, it could not be a more joyous occasion". Abu Amir tried to reason with the Caliph.
"That seems....reasonable, I appreciate your concern Abu Amir". The Caliph accepted Abu Amir's presence and thought little more of it.
"AHHHHHH" Subheya, who had mostly been attempting to breath in and out, had begun to scream again.
"The baby is coming!" One of the Royal doctors shouted. Both the Caliph and Abu Amir rushed to deliver the baby, leading to another awkward moment. The Hashem, the medical staff and even Subheya in the midst of labour could sense the aura of tension.

After another period of pushing, heaving and general unpleasantness, the newest addition to the Ummayad dynasty had been born, to the pleasure of all in the room except perhaps one, a healthy baby boy.
Subheya and Al-Hakam shared one of their brief last genuine moments of love together.
"He looks like you" the half-passed out Subheya said to the Caliph, holding her son in her arms.
"Nonsense, he is a spitting image of his mother. He's beautiful".
"Fit to be the next Caliph of Qurtubah?". Labour had not stopped the wit of the woman who made even Al-Hakam succumb to feminine will.
"The best one yet" He said being passed on his son as if the baby was the torch of Olympus itself.
"Did you consider a name?" She said, in an exhaustive voice.
"Yes....Hisham".
"Fit to be Caliph of Qurtubah". Subheya said with an affirming tone.

"May I hold the boy?" Abu Amir startled the royal couple, who had forgotten his presence. Al-Hakam was hesitant but Subheya saw no problem with the man who had helped who through labour.
As Abu Amir held the baby, the baby yelled out a screech, crying as it had never before, this was not an ordinary baby cry....But the new Prince Hisham settled once being returned to his mother.

The year was 960 AD, and the Umayyad dynasty had been secured for a another generation. The seeds of the future to come had been sown.

* Hashem is a term that denotes the personal corps that protects the Caliph, Sultan or other Monarch within the Islamic world, equivalent to a royal guard. They often comprise of the most elite forces within the realm, and at times depending on their size, can act as a personal standing army for their employer, as they later did under Caliph Hisham and Amir Ghalib in the important Battle of Cordoba. At this time period, the Hashem ethnically were often in mixed units, comprised of Saqilaba, Berbers, and various mercenaries of different ethncities. However despite this, the units were almost always commanded by men who came from aristocratic Arab background, raised and trained in the Furusiyya martial traditions.

** As-Syeda is the female equivalent of the Arabic honourific Syed/As-Syed, whichcan gneerally be translated as meaning 'lord'. It is used in this context to describe the wife of the Caliph in the same way the title Queen or Princess would be used.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
That Caliph really has zero idea on how to name his son :)

lol Hisham is the name of his OTL son as well, I just attempted to fit its origins more nicely into the story of his birth. This update is the one where the actual PODs have been revealed, if you catch them both;).

Interesting premise and nice writing. A bit too orientalist in style for my taste at ties, but as long as intentions are good, I'll continue reading :eek:

Interesting premise and nice writing. A bit too orientalist in style for my taste at ties, but as long as intentions are good, I'll continue reading :eek:

Thank you :) but could you elaborate what you mean by orientalist?

Last edited: