Independence Day: Offically Alternate History

The trailer of Independence Day Resurgence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbduDRH2m2M&app=desktop
The tie-in website clearly dates the first movie as 1996, plus it has a timeline of how the world has developed since the invasion.
To me this makes Independence Day officially "Alternate History".
I did always think, and given the clues given in the first film that it was set in the future, given President Whitmore's age in 1996 and it was stated he was just a fighter pilot in the Gulf War in 1991, he moved very fast.
Anyway here is a link to the tie-in website, it does have further spoilers...
http://www.warof1996.com/

I am convinced I caught a glimpse of a bizarre photo of President Whitmore and Tony Blair but I cant find it again. Did I imagine it?

Yes that's right, in 1996 Blair was not Prime-Minister, so he probably took over after the attack on London and he survived.

Got it. Helmut Kohl and Chirac are there to. Poor old John Major must have been the only world leader to cop it!

I wonder if Independence Day UK is cannon then. Sir Patrick Moore going toe to toe with the alien hun deserves it!

For those unfamiliar with the BBC radio play...

Independence+Day+UK+023577691.jpg

Just for confirmation, which cities were confirmed destroyed by the aliens? I only remember New York, Los Angeles and Washington D.C.

Blue Moon

Banned
I can't help but think that if that many cities were destroyed society would come to a screeching halt for the better part of ten or fifteen years. That's a lot of destruction.
It really is. The first 5 years or so after were probably very tough especially for the 3rd world. But enough of the western world was left intact to stave off total disaster. That and perhaps some alien tech that was in some way recovered and utilized helped humanity back from the brink and forward to what we see in part 2 ?

It really is. The first 5 years or so after were probably very tough especially for the 3rd world. But enough of the western world was left intact to stave off total disaster. That and perhaps some alien tech that was in some way recovered and utilized helped humanity back from the brink and forward to what we see in part 2 ?

The handwavium will likely be strong; the website's timeline suggests the cities are rebuilt very quickly, at least by the time of the second invasion.

So Pyongyang got hit in the second wave. All those wasteful monuments all gone! Wonder what Kim Jong Il must have thought? How would the ID4 ATL affect more faster Korean reunification?

Blue Moon

Banned
So Pyongyang got hit in the second wave. All those wasteful monuments all gone! Wonder what Kim Jong Il must have thought? How would the ID4 ATL affect more faster Korean reunification?
There is a good chance we see lots of unifications/regional superstates forming out of this. In service of survival ? Especially when you are talking about smaller countries that lost their capital or largest city or both. Could this even apply in the Middle East where those conditions apply to Israel and several of the Arab nations and Iran ?

There is a good chance we see lots of unifications/regional superstates forming out of this. In service of survival ? Especially when you are talking about smaller countries that lost their capital or largest city or both. Could this even apply in the Middle East where those conditions apply to Israel and several of the Arab nations and Iran ?

Is there even an Israel left after having both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem destroyed?

Is there even an Israel left after having both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem destroyed?

Realistically I can't see them surviving the post-war period. Their airforce would be gone and their military in shambles, whereas from what I can see Egypt and Jordan are intact and have just been given an opportunity I don't think they could neglect. Syria without Damascus is a mess, but Assad could probably hold it together well enough to join in. At minimum Israel would have to accept a two-state solution that entails a rather large Palestine.

Iraq would probably collapse, assuming Saddam survived I think the destruction of the capital coupled with the global crisis would destabilize his rule to the point that, though I think he would retain control long term, it would only be after several years of civil war.

Nick P

Donor
Got it. Helmut Kohl and Chirac are there to. Poor old John Major must have been the only world leader to cop it!

I wonder if Independence Day UK is cannon then. Sir Patrick Moore going toe to toe with the alien hun deserves it!

For those unfamiliar with the BBC radio play...

Independence+Day+UK+023577691.jpg

I still have this in my tape collection! Suspension of belief definitely needed here!

Blue Moon

Banned
So what does the post invasion world look like ? It is sadly demographically different as for example given how hard chin and India are hit are one or both of them now under a billion people ? Which areas are the best of/most powerful until the rest of the world starts to recover ?Australia and New Zealand seem to be one such area as they were hardly touched ?

So what does the post invasion world look like ? It is sadly demographically different as for example given how hard chin and India are hit are one or both of them now under a billion people ? Which areas are the best of/most powerful until the rest of the world starts to recover ?Australia and New Zealand seem to be one such area as they were hardly touched ?
Don't forget Southamerica, while Brazil and Argentina have lost their main cities; the rest of the counrtries are still intact, so perhaps UNASUR's concept may arise earlier