AH Vignette: The Last Debate

Japhy

Banned
The President of the United States does not offer his guest a drink or a cigar. He has learned over the decades that the man is a teetotaller and has no interest or taste in fine tobacco. For the brief months in their decades long relationship that he could view his guest as an ally he had refrained from partaking himself while hosting out of respect.

As, since they last met, he has become the lame duck, outgoing President of the United States though, he didn’t feel the need to refrain this time. The fine, rich Bourbon is poured, sipped. The match is lit, and the Romeo y Julieta is savored. He sits for a moment back in the drawing room’s chair. He does not begin the conversation at once.

To all these minor insults, his guest, the President-Elect, seems to take no note. Though the President has long learned that, yes, everything is noted behind those sad, deep eyes. But for the first time in some thirty years it doesn’t matter anymore. Let him note. What can he do with any of it now, that he hasn’t already?

Abraham Lincoln doesn’t seem to look that different than he did in their youth. He has never looked the part of the respectable United States Senator he has been these past nine, soon to be ten years. The nose a bit bigger, his features a bit more worn yes, and since the start of the campaign he has begun to grow a beard, but he’s still the same lanky, strange looking man he had been in the state legislature when the President had been a mere tag along looking for a Judgeship at far too young an age.

But Stephen Douglas cannot ignore his own appearance, gone the little giant of the Young Americans in 1848 and 1852, he is flabbier than he was when he’d won four years ago. He looks claimer, his wild head of hair has begun to whiten noticeably.

No neither of them were young men anymore. And for himself at least this was the end of the line. But he was proud enough man he wasn’t going to simply roll over this evening. Not like some old foggy.

It was Lincoln who spoke first, having waited for Douglas to have a few sips of his whiskey.

“Your Robert is doing well at Georgetown I presume?” He offered politely.

“Yes, yes, the boys are well. Adele is fine too. I assume your Robert is doing well at Harvard?”

Lincoln nodded. “And Willie will be joining him soon. Mary is already dotting too much on Tad, hopes to get him to go to school in Chicago when the time comes. Keep him close to home.”

The President offered a polite smile, and pushed away a courtship from half a lifetime ago. Even after everything, he could never figure what Mary Todd hadn’t seen in him, and had seen in this gangly fellow.

For a moment things hung in the air there. Lincoln leaned forward in his chair, leaning his long arms on his equally long legs, and moved things forward.

“I’d like to talk to you about the changes my administration is going to enact to the running of the war.”

“I am aware Senator, as to what you’ve campaigned on. The last years marches and engagements were tinged throughout with the legacy of your rhetoric. You boosted Jeff Davis’ resolve greatly, hardened the whole of the south.”

Lincoln grimaced. “I don’t think Old Jeff Davis would even have been content with what Vallandigham had been saying, had he the choice. Anything short of bowing over and calling for the end of the Union isn’t enough for men like him. I wouldn’t rekon that I made things any worse. Especially when he was dreaming of Sidney Johnson and Bulregard of turning the war around for him in Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

Would have raised a fuss about what anyone was saying, you or me or John Fremont or Franklin Pierce. And I don’t think we could rekon that those troops in the Army of Virginia or the Army of Tennessee would have done any different, no matter what his speeches were.”

The President finished taking another sip of the barrel-aged amber liquid before he snorted. “If you think that Johnny Reb didn’t fight that much harder because he thought his victory would stop you from raising slave rebellions you’re dead wrong Senator. Dead and foolishly wrong. Beyond question.”

“You know that's not what I’ve been talking on about though. I’ve no interest in seeing bands of brigands and banditti make a track across the South. We have thousands upon thousands of men working as labor and contractors, have ever since we passed the first of the Confiscation Acts over your veto. Men who by their service to us and their flight from those who would call themselves their masters have done a service to the Union. I merely want to offer them the option of a greater service. We could increase the size of the army by thousands fold. And without resorting to the draft you’ve sought to avoid.”

And there, just as it always was with Lincoln, was the rub. The damnable foggy fool still can’t let go I had the audacity to refuse to calmly accept the seizure of millions of dollars in property.

“They’ll be bandits Senator, for they certainly can’t make soldiers. Bandits seeking to make a war of the races across the South, to drag the white men down. And if you listen to the likes of Frederick Douglass you’re going to be left with the fact that a man in Union Blue and with US on his cartridge box is going to demand things against the whole order of what the Republic was founded on.”

Douglas offered a sardonic grin as he finished his pronouncement. I don’t think I can change his mind. But I can best him. It won’t change a damned thing, But he’ll know. This last little fight will be a loss for him. He’ll know I’m a better fighter. And he’ll have to see the logic of it all. He can’t risk anything else.

The President-elect though shook his head. “Neither of us ever met George Washington, but you remember old John Quincy Adams. I probably do a bit better than you, having been in the same party as him. He never reckoned the idea was at the start for it just to be white men.”

Lincoln sat back in his chair again, a motion that because of the size of his extremities took on the appearance of a great affair, though he didn’t move as if it was, and he continued. “Not when negroes fell at the Boston Massacre and most of the battles that followed. Yeah we zigged and zagged after that, but I don’t think that a man who puts on the uniform and fights for the flag can be said not to have earned equality. At least before the law. And most of all you know that’s my position Mr. President. And while you may agree with it, I’m asking you at least point out its not a repeat of Harper’s Ferry. For the sake of the war effort. And enlistments.”

“I haven’t said you intend anything of that sort.” Came the rapid fire denial.

“No, I’ve kept an eye for that. You didn’t say a word. But Chase did, and there have been quite a few editorials on the subject. When your Secretary of State and when the press that backs you says it, your complete silence on the subject causes trouble.”

“I can’t stop Salmon from speaking his mind, you know that.”

“No you certainly can’t. Which is why he won’t be welcome in government I’m forming. I’m sure he’ll make himself useful back in Ohio though.”

The President nodded. It was hard, that after four years of action his administration was going to be torn to shred, all of its work damned and ignored. But Chase, long a snake, was not someone for whom he would morn.

“So you want me to endorse something I’ve opposed my entire Presidency, toss my pride and principles to the wind just because you’ve won? What would the country think?”

“The country would think that its a War Powers measure that needs to be done, for the winning of the war. With General Richardson’s victory at Aldie you could open the door for anything.”

“I would rather bring General McClellan back for a fourth time.”

“Well I could say that seems like a flawed idea. But if you’re not willing to come out for it, I’d like to ask to you at least respect my administration's plans for form a Colored Troops Corps.”

And thats what he’s come here for, my silence.

Douglas stat their for a moment nodding. He tapped the ash of his cigar into the tray on the small table besides his chair.

“I will speak when the American people ask me too. They’re not going to stand for it. They voted for you because they hoped you would win the war quickly. And because McClernand broke through in Tennessee. When they call for my view I can’t stand against them in silence. Even if they support you on this, they deserve to know the costs after the war.”

Lincoln rubbed his chin for a moment. “Well I was hoping you didn’t say that sort of thing, but that's alright. I’ve had some long conversations with Charles Ray and Henry Raymond. We’re all aware what you’re planning to do in retirement. Yes my seat will be up for grabs soon enough. Governor Wood’s the man for it and neither you and I can change it, but he should be easy picking for you. But if you raise your voice on anything that goes against the war effort you’ll have nothing.”

Douglas could feel his face turn redder and redder as Lincoln went on. He placed the Cigar in the tray and rose to his feet, pointing his finger at the President-Elect.

How dare he.

How Dare He?
The political operator in the back of his mind shouted.

“You think you can stop me Lincoln? You think you and your publisher allies can block me? I’m the President of the United States? I can run all on my own! I don’t need any of you!”

Lincoln rose to his feet as well at that, and as always, Douglas was forced to choose to either stare at the giant’s middle or turn up to stare at his towering face.

He was smiling again, all formality. “Well Mr. President,” he explained in his slow drawl “I’d be glad to see you return to the upper house. You always enjoyed it there it seemed. And you did some good at least, not much in my book, but some. And if you want to get back there you’re going to need the Republican Party.”

And with that the President-Elect headed for the door. As he moved to open it he turned around one last time.

And with that, the soon to be Seventeenth President of the United States of America offered a graceful nod, before heading out the door.

“If you don’t have us, what can you do? Go back to the Democrats?”

Japhy

Banned
I wonder if he's counting on doing exactly that and running in a border state. Kentucky had a Dem-controlled state legislature at the time, didn't it?

If they'd have him it would be one thing, but Douglas becoming a Republican in 1858, something Buchanan tried to force, many national Republicans became enthusiastic about and the Illinois Republicans led by Lincoln fought tooth and nail against, is at least on par, if not a bigger "betrayal" than Andrew Johnson being a War Democrat. Its rather hard to cross that line a second time. Though I'm sure if he lives to see something akin to the Liberal Republican revolt he can carve a new niche out for himself.

Is this set in 1864? Four years of war or less?

Yes its 1864, and yes the War has been going on since 1861. Its impossible for ANY Republican to get elected without that happening.

For some reason I imagined Lincoln's lines in Morgan Freeman's voice. Great vignette. Is there a specific POD from which this scenario occurred?