In spite of all terror (An AH Vignette)

(Disclosure: all credit for this format and style of AH belongs with EdT, I am but a lacklustre imitator).

Smaller propaganda.png

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.
- Winston Churchill​

The Lord Protector’s Limousine pulled onto the drive in front of the manor house, pushing aside gravel, and came to a halt. The First Secretary of State was rather flustered that the Lord Protector had arrived for this cabinet meeting so late, although as he was both Head of State as Lord Protector and of government as Prime Minister it was his prerogative to turn up whenever he liked. The Secretary gulped and adjusted the lapels of his suit.

The back door of the car was opened by its chauffer with a stiff upper lip. The Lord Protector lifted himself out, half squinted eyes surveying the front of the manor. He seemed displeased, although the First Secretary had no idea at all why but, of course, Lord-Admiral Churchill could be rather fickle and unexpected at times.

“Mister Eden, where are the rest of his majesty’s cabinet?” Churchill demanded brusquely. Even for Anthony, one of the more royalist members of the cabinet, Churchill’s constant use of “his majesty’s” was irksome.

“They are already inside, sir.” Anthony replied. The Lord Protector harrumphed and gestured for them to go in angrily.

Anthony stepped up towards the already open doors of the manor, handing his coat to a servant, whilst Churchill followed suit. Anthony led his leader through the manor’s hallways towards the room that the cabinet had already assembled itself in. Approximately one hour after the meeting was meant to have started, the Prime Minister and First Secretary of State entered it with little fanfare. This wasn’t the day for frivolity. Churchill settled down at the head of the table, and Anthony sat beside him.

“You all know why you are here.” Churchill said gruffly, “Mister Long has moved American troops into Mexico, claiming to be seeking to annex areas with “oppressed American citizens”. Our friends,” and Churchill spat the word. “Across the North Sea view it as an act of expansionist aggression.”

“Sir, why is it that we even humour the German and French governments on the matter? If the Americans want to annex land that contains their citizens then they have every right to do so! We have no quarrel with the USA, and stand to regain our prestige if we make further inroads for Belize and out Caribbean territories. I propose cooperation with the US…” The hawkish secretary of state for war, Samuel Hoare, had riled himself halfway to anger before he was cut off by an interjection from the Home Secretary.

“The Americans are not our ally, Mister Hoare,” Mister Chamberlain began, “If you remember it was only two years ago that they annexed Canada which is rightfully our property…”

“But has not been for over twenty years. We have no more common cause with the republicans in Ottawa as we do with those in Washington.” Hoare retorted.

“You would abandon the empire then?” Chamberlain demanded, “Surrender to defeat and the loss of prestige?”

“Very strong words coming from you, Mister Chamberlain.” Hoare spat, “Or have you already forgotten that you yourself rejected the empire when you voted against humouring the will of Edward Windsor?”

“As did I, Mister Hoare.” Churchill said sternly, “The prince is a radical and not the candidate we are looking for; he had his supporters rallying in the streets and calling for revolution against the regency. It was only right to return him to Canada.”

Hoare, to Eden’s delight, had gone quite red following on from the Lord Protector’s own interjection into the debate. Another man cleared his throat, someone who had remained quite silent (as he usually did) for most of the meeting of the top table of Westminster politics.

“We have little choice on the matter of Canada now.” Lord Halifax said calmly, “What we do have is the chance to expand our control and influence of the Caribbean region and strengthen ties with the only serious threat to German international hegemony.”

The lights in the room flickered for a moment as the Foreign Secretary’s strong words reverberated in the wood panelled room. A few of the junior ministers looked genuinely shocked, although most of the top table either looked resigned to what he had said or pleased that he had said it. Churchill raised an eyebrow coyly.

“Do you suggest then, Mister Halifax that we begin to return Mister Long’s overtures about an alliance for reigning in the states of the Atlantic?” The Lord Protector asked.

“Yes, if it pleases your lordship.” Halifax said, “The Germans offer us subjugation and further humiliation, the Americans offer us the chance to regain glory.”

“Not to mention their position on Ulster.” Hoare murmured.

“What was that, Mister Hoare?” Anthony asked politely.

“I was merely referring to the fact that the American in question supports our continued claims on the province of Ulster.” Hoare said. He looked to the Prime Minister.

“An American alliance certainly does seem like the best way to reclaim at least one piece of our lost territory.” Churchill agreed.

“And yet he supports continued independence for the Scots.” Eden reminded them, “and for the rest of Ireland.”

“We cannot reclaim the whole empire, Mister Eden,” Halifax said politely, “Ireland is now far from us and from our orbit.”

“And Scotland?” Anthony asked.

“Scotland is closer,” the Chancellor acknowledged, “And its continued closeness with the North Sea League is worrying, but I think time will see them gradually return to our orbit as we consolidate our current economic position, and as their own economy continues to be mired in debt.”

“The Hun will tighten his purse, and once more the Pict shall ride to London begging for Union.” Churchill said sagely.

“I think it is settled then.” Hoare said, “Does anyone truly object to alliance with the Americans?”

“Yes.” Chamberlain replied venomously, “We must accept that we have been defeated and are no longer the power we once were.”

“Britain prevails Mister Chamberlain!” The Lord Protector suddenly roared.

“It does not, sir.” Chamberlain said icily, “The Kingdom of England may prevail yet, but Britannia is dead, sir, the nails hammered into her coffin on the fields of Flanders.”

“How dare you?” bellowed Churchill, “This United Kingdom will rise again, and put the enemy back where they belong, we will fight them on the beaches and on the landing grounds, and we will never surrender to them!”

“If the government continues to act on memories of past grandeur and not the reality of her current situation then I shall have to resign.” Chamberlain remarked, “We have strayed too far many times, but outright violating the Treaty of Antwerp? That, my friends is a step too far.”

“Resign then, Mister Chamberlain.” Churchill said, “I have made my decision with the advice of my honourable colleagues. The lion is silent no longer! Now she roars!”

And with that Chamberlain stood, shook his head, and walked out of the room. There was silence until the sound of Mister Chamberlain weeping softly could be heard. Then chatter erupted amongst the minor cabinet members.

“I thank you, my noble colleagues, for putting up with that foolish coward.” The Prime Minister sneered, “I shall call an end to this meeting now. Remember, Britannia prevails, Long Live the King!” Anthony wasn’t sure what King it was that Churchill meant, what with having forced George out in twenty, and denying re-entry to Edward in thirty six.

Still, the First Secretary was genuinely shocked. He had seen multiple resignations in his time in cabinet, and risen as a result of them, but never such a big name, never such an integral part of the cabal that had taken power after the fall of the revolution in nineteen twenty. It occurred to him suddenly that an era of peace, and for men of peace, had come to an end; England was heading for alliance with one Eagle, and war with another.

Smaller propaganda.png

SPOILERS

Britain, or rather England, in this vignette is a rather (in my opinion) blatant analogue of another post-war state. Has anyone worked out which?

SPOILERS

Britain, or rather England, in this vignette is a rather (in my opinion) blatant analogue of another post-war state. Has anyone worked out which?

A very, very sad France. REALLY fucking loved the vignette, I'm guessing England basically lost everything except a few isles in the Caribbean?

A very, very sad France. REALLY fucking loved the vignette, I'm guessing England basically lost everything except a few isles in the Caribbean?

Thanks, that really does mean a lot to me!

And no, these guys wish they were a sad France! And yeah England has lost everything except a few Carribean and Pacific possessions.

Think much lower in the ranking of post-war powers than France.