Brother Jonathan (A Wikibox TL)

OoZzIPv.png

So what’s up?

Yet another one of my wondrous wikibox TL’s!

Wondrous” may be stretching it...

Hey, I don’t see you coming up with anything.

Why don’t you do a regular TL?

Because.

Because?

Yup. Because.

Is this some kind of poor man’s version of lord caedus’s A True October Surprise?

No! Instead of doing American, British and Canadian elections I’m going to do Canadian, British and New England elections. Plus I’m going to try and cover a bunch of other events too, like Papal Conclaves and-

Just like A True October Surprise?

I’ve had this in the works for a while. Just because someone made an amazingly awesome and badass TL doesn’t mean I can’t borrow a few of his tricks.

Sure. So Brother Jonathan, huh? You sure love starting the titles of your TL’s with the letter B.

Hey, Redemption: A Political Comeback didn’t start with a B.

Which brings up a good point. You actually going to finish this thing, or are you going to post some stuff and after promising a bunch of updates you kill it?

While the posting my be a bit erratic I’m going to try really hard to keep my attention on this. I’m sorry if my mind is so full of ideas that it’s hard to keep focus on one TL. Also I have a short attention span, sue me.

Huh, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Well...you’re technically me, so yeah, you’ll see it.

...So why are you talking to yourself anyway?

Sometimes it feels like the only decent way to get an intelligent conversation. Shut up.

Okay, okay, relax. Explain to me the premise of this thing.

Canada forms a little later without New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, it grows a little stronger, eventually occupying Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Cascadia, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North & South Dakota, Minnesota and Alaska. So while the POD takes place before 1900, the focus is after. Calbear said it was okay!

Whatever. Just get this thing started already!

Fine. Jerk.

I heard that!

Everybody remembers the opening of the TL, the two leadership electiopns I posted back in my own wikibox thread.

lWWvfop.png

4tOn5PL.png

List of Prime Ministers of Canada
Sir John A. Macdonald (Liberal Conservative) 1869-1877
Sir Edward Blake (Liberal) 1877-1882
Sir John A. Macdonald (Liberal-Conservative) 1882-1891
Sir Mackenzie Bowell (Liberal-Conservative) 1891-1892
Sir Hector Louis Langevin (Liberal-Conservative) 1892-1894
Sir Wilfred Laurier (Liberal) 1894-1906
Sir Frederick W. A. G. Haultain (Conservative) 1906-1915
Sir Hugh John Macdonald (National Government/Conservative) 1915-1919
Hugh Guthrie (Conservative) 1919-1923
Thomas Crerar (Labour) 1923-1930
Robert Manion (Conservative) 1930-1932
Thomas Crerar (Labour) 1932-1934
Robert Manion (Unionist) 1934-1938
Charles Avery Dunning (Labour) 1938-1945
Arthur B. Langlie (Unionist) 1945-1949
Adélard Godbout (Labour) 1949-1956
Brooke Claxton (Labour) 1956-1960
Hubert Humphrey (Labour) 1960-

Last edited:
Despite his hopes to form a stable confidence and supply agreement with the Liberal National leader Wayne Morse, Humphrey’s government was brought down only a year and a month after the previous election. From the outset of the campaign polling suggested that it would be an uphill battle for Labour to convince Canadians to hand them their consecutive seventh mandate. Humphrey began his campaign by announcing what became his infamous 3-point pledge; increased funding for the governments Medicare program at the expense of national defense, the creation of a publicly run oil crown corporation, and a National Energy Strategy to redistribute wealth between the federal government and consumers. Although the pledge caused some worry amongst Labour members, some of whom argued that it would be too controversial to broaden party support, the party brass made it clear that inner party opposition would not be tolerated.

The Unionists under Ernest Manning meanwhile vowed that they would implement a series of economic reforms, including de-nationalizing the Canadian Broadcasting System, to reverse the economic slide they blamed on Humphrey and his Labour predecessors. While Manning was personally supportive of the government’s Medicare initiative, he emphasized that it was foolish to increase funding whilst in the middle of a recession; a move which the Unionist contended required raising taxes. With the exception of the Province of Quebec, polling indicated that voters view the Unionist Party as more capable at managing the national economy.

Humphrey attempted to campaign in every major city in the nation’s eleven provinces in order to portray the Prime Minister as a truly national politician. This move however meant that the Labour leader campaigned in regions that his party had little hope of winning over at the expensive of visiting marginal seats. Campaigning under the government’s progress with healthcare and his controversial 3-point pledge, Humphrey suffered the embarrassment of being blatantly rejected by his candidates in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana and Wyoming. Since his party had not won a federal election since 1945, Manning used his member’s desperation to return to power to strike positions which would have otherwise angered the more conservative members of the Unionist Party. In Montreal he expressed his support for the provinces Pro-French policies while in Helena stressing his belief in provincial autonomy. In the hopes of making a breakthrough in Ontario, Morse promised to cut the local equalization payments by 5 per cent if elected or if either Labour or the Unionists failed to win a majority.

Unlike previous election campaigns, voters would view the leaders of the three major political parties in a televised leader’s debate. Observers noted that none of the leaders appeared relaxed on camera, and in the case of Morse their physical appearance ultimately played an important part in the voters’ decision. Humphrey, while completely comfortable with policy and statistics, came across as stuffy and tired during the debate, the result of crisscrossing the country, much to the chagrin of his handlers. Manning meanwhile appeared energetic, playing on the Labour leader’s 3-point policy as the “three strikes and you’re out policy,”.

After almost two decades in the wilderness of opposition Manning and his party were elected with an overwhelming thirty-three seat majority, one of the largest victories in the nation’s history up until that point. Humphrey, having served six years as head of the country’s government, fell victim to a combination of voter fatigue with the Labour Party and economic uncertainty. The Liberal National’s Wayne Morse witnessed his sixth election campaign produce the worst results for his party since their twelve seat showing 23-years prior. Ernest Manning now had a mandate to govern, a concept foreign to many of his newly minted government MPs.

eu2wIpr.png

7 Independents, 3 Independent Conservatives, 1 Farmer-Labour, 1 Liberal-Labour

Thomas Crerar (Labour) 1923-1930
Robert Manion (Conservative) 1930-1932
Thomas Crerar (Labour) 1932-1934
Robert Manion (Unionist) 1934-1938
Charles Avery Dunning (Labour) 1938-1945
Arthur B. Langlie (Unionist) 1945-1949
Adélard Godbout (Labour) 1949-1956
Brooke Claxton (Labour) 1956-1960
Hubert Humphrey (Labour) 1960-1966
Ernest Manning (Unionist) 1966-

Awesome. Plus, I/ATOS get a shout-out in the TL introduction/Obligatory Split Personality Dialogue. Although I have to criticize your decision to open with Humphrey losing to his mainstream conservative challenger while ahead of a smaller, third-party challenger. He really should have won it. :p

Also the infoboxes look gorgeous.

Awesome. Plus, I/ATOS get a shout-out in the TL introduction/Obligatory Split Personality Dialogue. Although I have to criticize your decision to open with Humphrey losing to his mainstream conservative challenger while ahead of a smaller, third-party challenger. He really should have won it. :p

Also the infoboxes look gorgeous.

Ooh, colour me intrigued. I look forward to see where this goes.

Thank you both!

The brilliant title picture got me hooked immediately - this looks really good and interesting; keep it up!

He certainly is.

What does the colors mean on the title card, BTW?

You could make the argument it represents conservatism, Liberalism, and Progressivism, but in reality it's based off the title card form an election series done by CPAC, specifically The Campaigns (1911, 1925/1926, 1968, 1988).

Forgive me, I've only made electionboxes, so I'm rather unfamiliar with anything else. Hope I did a good job...

Within the first year of their mandate Prime Minister Manning faced pressure from the right flank of the party to introduce measures to repeal some of the progressive measures enacted by the previous Labour governments. Despite his conservative record as Premier of Alberta many members, most notably leadership runner-up Joseph Ball, expressed worry that Manning would “water down” the implementation of policy which threatened to limit the government’s appeal to voters. In the hopes of easing their worry Manning introduced an omnibus bill which further made it difficult to obtain abortions and contraception, make it difficult for labour unions to strike through a right to work law, and repealed the moves undertaken by his predecessor to legalize homosexuality. Opposition amongst Labour members was so intense that debate regarding the bill was held up for five weeks. In defence of the bill, Manning stressed the need for the government to protect the morals of society and argued that the policy was no different than any other criminal law introduced by either the current or previous governments.

Although popular amongst rural voters, the subsequent passage of the act saw the rise of protests across the more metropolitan regions of the country, most notably in Toronto, Saint Paul, and most violently Montreal. Critics quickly declared that by passing the act the government had betrayed the principles of provincial autonomy which it had campaigned on. In Montreal protestors gathered in the streets in defiance of the Act, resulting in numerous instances of property damage and civil unrest. Despite further opposition from Labour, the National Liberal and even some members within the Unionist Party the government invoked the War Measures Act in what would be its first use during peacetime.

While many hoped that the deployment of troops would quickly put an end to the unrest, various labour unions, led by the CSN, organized demonstrations to denounce both the use of emergency war powers and the anti-union legislation. Violence erupted between the two sides following an incident of aggression by a member of one of the Quebec unions, resulting in the deaths of seven individuals, two from the armed forces and five from the protestors. The deaths further exacerbated the tensions between the government and the unions, causing more instances of violence and charges of abuse on the part of the armed forces. As leader of the Official Opposition, Humphrey echoed his party’s stance and criticized the government’s use of the War Measures Act, although he also managed to criticize the union leaders, partly blaming them for the violence which had taken place. While legally correct, the critique only further emboldened those who sought to end the former Prime Minister’s leadership of the Labour Party.

By December Manning pledged that the government would repeal the right to work legislation, hoping that the move would dispel further violence in Montreal and protests across the country. Although some radical elements of the unions held out for a few more weeks, the majority of the conflict ended by shortly after the new year, marking an end to one of Canada’s most controversial periods with its labour unions. The fallout from the riots saw support for the opposition parties rise at the expense of the Unionists, especially so in the province of Quebec. However, the event had also caused a divide between Labour members from Quebec, who advocated for a more radical response to the government’s agenda, and the members from the rest of the country.

ePTZMr4.png

After more than a decade of aspiration Rab Butler finally found himself in 10 Downing Street, albeit with the slimmest of majorities. Despite the fact polling showed the Tories increasingly unpopular with voters, Labours revolutionary rhetoric combined with the resurgence of the Liberal Party granted them another mandate, at the expense of Harold Wilson’s leadership. Although relatively inexperienced, Labour chose the forty-nine year old Denis Healey to replace him, hoping that the World War Two veteran’s youth would contrast against Butler’s age and the government’s longevity.

In the interim between campaigns Butler’s government had failed in its attempt to quickly bring about peace in the Northern Ireland conflict. There was also the issue of rising unemployment across the country, the result of slowed economic growth and increased tensions between the government and the country’s major unions. A member of parliament since before the Second World War, the impression that the Prime Minister was the embodiment of a bygone era, out of touch with modern Britain, quickly became the central charge by the opposition parties. After roughly eighteen-years in powers it looked as though voters were prepared to give change a chance.

The campaign began with Labour ahead in the opinion polls, and the gap between themselves and the Conservatives stayed relatively the same up until Election Day. Healey portrayed himself as a politician of a different sort, who would reverse the economic slump the country had fallen into, create closer ties with the nation’s union workers, and avoid the negativity which had defined British politics for so many decades. Although he portrayed himself the candidate of experience, Butler was never able to find solid footing, and rarely interacted with people on the street, preferring carefully planned campaign speeches to spontaneity. Voters spoke with resounding clarity, handing Labour a majority of 82, breathed further life into the Liberal Party, and reduced the party of Churchill and Supermac to their weakest showing since their defeat in 1945.

Great Britain had entered a period of great change.

WP0tYc8.png

Sorry for the delay, hope there aren't any mistakes.

Although his party had won an enormous mandate to govern by voters, many of Manning’s colleagues had either been in opposition so long that the transition to government member was excruciating, or were new to federal politics completely. Such a situation quickly proved to be unfavourable to the new Prime Minister. Within a year of coming to power the more conservative members of the government had become to grow restless, with many arguing that Manning wanted to avoid reversing the entire agenda set by the previous Labour governments. Hoping to ease the tensions within the party, the Prime Minister introduced the Criminal Law Amendment Act, an omnibus bill which planned to radically undo much of the progressive legislation implemented by Humphrey and his predecessors. Manning had hoped that the relatively early passage of the bill would give the government amble time to weather any such controversy, the ensuing filibusters and riots, culminated in the Montreal Riots, made sure that the legislation stayed in the forefront of voter’s memory.

The chaos brought on by the events in Montreal had not only effected the fortunes of the Unionists, but Labour as well, whose leader’s criticism of the province’s union leaders had provided his enemies ample ammunition to marshal the supported needed to forcibly remove him from the leadership. Refusing to allow his detractors the satisfaction of defeating him openly, Humphrey resigned as leader in 1968 and was quickly replaced by Quebec-strongman and former Environment Minister Jean Marchand. While somewhat more moderate than many other possible candidates, it was hoped that Marchand’s presence would further cement the Montreal controversy in the mind of Canadians.

By the beginning of 1970 polling suggested that the Unionists were trailing Labour by as many as six-points, with the government deeply unpopular in the eastern, more centre-left to left-wing provinces. Domestic affairs quickly dominated the election, with both Manning and Marchand portraying themselves as the superior candidate to protect the economy, which had begun to rebound the previous year. Mark Hatfield meanwhile attempted to draw parallels between both of the major party leaders, stating that both men offered two different paths to the same result, namely the ruination of the country. Unsurprisingly the extremist label was a common tactic for all three campaigns. Conceding French Canada to the opposition, Manning began criticizing Marchand’s heritage, claiming that the Quebec MP would place the interests of his native province first and force official bilingualism on the rest of the country’s predominantly English population. The Labour leader’s open-ended response on the subject caused even members of his own party to begin to worry as to whether or not their leader would implement policies for the benefit of one province rather than the country. Unionists also took advantage of Marchand’s past affiliation with the CSN, which he had served as president, one of the major organizers during the roughly four month Montreal protests.

Heading into the debates most polling showed that the Unionists had reclaimed a narrow lead over Labour, but not enough to win an outright majority. Not wanting to damage their standings in the poll within the final week of the campaign, both Manning and Marchand avoided any major policy promises, instead safely choosing to attack their opponent’s record. The ensuing divide between Marchand and his candidates in English Canada secured a minority victory for the Unionists and Manning, although the situation in Parliament suggested another election would occur before the year was out.

ll9hlT2.png

mzsZz6S.png

7 Independents, 1 Farmer-Labour

Many members of the Labour Party resented Marchand for failing to win what was originally thought to be a winnable election. The Quebec MP’s clear commitment to staying on and lead the party into the next election further angered members, as it demonstrated that Marchand had little interest in consulting the party membership. Three months following the results members of the Labour backbench voiced their displeasure behind closed doors, with many members advocating for a leadership spill and replace Marchand with a more left-wing, English leader and prepare for the next election, expected to be called sometime in 1972. The decision to sack Shadow Labour Minister George McGovern in November, who was seen by many as a go between for the frontbench and backbench members, caused enough members to force a spill against the Labour leader. After some suggestion that the backbench support the potential bids of McGovern or McCarthy, Mitchell Sharp emerged as the victorious compromise candidate.

UsmdYd9.png

Sensing the chance to take advantage of the situation, Manning surprised the opposition by advising the Governor General to dissolve parliament and call a new election for February. This meant that Sharp had little time to introduce either himself or an alternative agenda of his own to Canadians. Labeling him “a tax and spend socialist”, Manning declared that Sharp was even more dangerous than Marchand due to the fact he was from English Canada, and thus held a better chance of forming government than his predecessor. In the hopes of further strengthening his party’s influence and force a minority parliament, Hatfield suggested that his party could “regulate” whomever formed power and prevent any more controversial bills to be passed.

With polls showing his party quickly losing ground, Sharp pledged that the Labour Party would cut funding to the nonessential social programs in order to balance the budget, much to the chagrin of some of the party’s more left-wing members. Many of them felt betrayed since they had supported the former Shadow Finance Minister’s bid to replace Marchand. Recognizing the opposition to the move, the Labour leader backtracked on the pledge, stating that it was a case of thinking aloud rather than making concrete policy. Unfortunately for Labour the move earned Sharp the label as a flip-flopper, further damaging his party’s position in the polls.

Refusing to take part in the debates for fear of providing his opponents a chance to harm his party, Sharp instead delivered a series of pledges to repeal the infamous Criminal Law Amendment Act, as well as to legalize both homosexuality and abortion. While enough to prevent the Liberals to further eat away at their left-wing support, by the final week of the campaign it was clear that it would not be enough to swing enough support so as to allow Labour to form government. Voters returned the Unionists to power with a majority, reducing Labour to their poorest showing since World War Two and the handing the Liberals their best results since 1962.

yMl6Sov.png

8 Independents, 2 Farmer-Labour