WI Ford and Chrysler had merged?

Here an AH on the ecomonic view

Lee Iacocca mentionned once in his biography published in the 1980's, a dream of a merger between Ford and Chrysler. I know the Congress probably wouldn't allow it but what could have happened if Ford and Chrysler had merged?

Well, I hope I do not hurt any national pride... :)

But I am quite sure that Daimler-Benz would be far better off in that scenario. They never would have had to pour billions into Chrysler, they never would attempt to introduce Chrysler cars into the German market. So probably their shares would never have dropped that much. The question is whether they would have invested elsewhere.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Yes, I was thinking along the lines of it not really mattering. The whole history of US car manufacturing is that one company buys up another time and time again. As recently seen with GM and Oldsmobile, eventually a lot of the brand names disappear and the factories are put over to building the main ranges of the parent company. Maybe Ford would have even greater market share in N America ? Its certainly not going to be relevant anywhere else, except as Sikitu says with regard to Daimler-Benz being able to invest elsewhere - perhaps they will buy out Nissan instead of Renault ? Or, when did GM take over SAAB ?

Grey Wolf