WI James, Duke of Rothesay son of James V survives

Like the title says, the eldest son of James V and Mary of Guise survives, so he 's ATL's James VI. Mary of Guise would most likely want her to get a French bride, so he's Catholic and pro-French, and would probably press his claim to English throne immediately after Mary I dies. So, would he get deposed and flee to England like his OTL sister did?

Well he has one advantage in that he will have been educated at home - depends when he takes control himself around 1554/5 i would suspect, who dominates his court, and whether he reaches a compromise with the reforming lords or requests French troops to assist in maintaining the Catholic Church like his otl mother did
A likely bride is going to be Elizabeth or Claude of France - he might angle for Elizabeth herself or Lady Catherine Grey.

With regard England - if he supports a French alliance then he is likely to also be at war with England and Spain at Mary Tudor's death and Elizabeth's accession.

Well he has one advantage in that he will have been educated at home - depends when he takes control himself around 1554/5 i would suspect, who dominates his court, and whether he reaches a compromise with the reforming lords or requests French troops to assist in maintaining the Catholic Church like his otl mother did
A likely bride is going to be Elizabeth or Claude of France - he might angle for Elizabeth herself or Lady Catherine Grey.

With regard England - if he supports a French alliance then he is likely to also be at war with England and Spain at Mary Tudor's death and Elizabeth's accession.
James is 16 when Mary I ascends the throne. Is it possible for Mary to name him heir? He's Catholic, and Hapsburg can also provide the resources for him to combat Protestantism.

Last edited: