How would Napoleon's life have been had he escaped to America post-Waterloo?

I assume he might have lived longer, due to better conditions than he endured on St. Helena? I figure he'd have been visited by a lot of prominent American writers and thinkers, too. How would the government have viewed him?

The government would have dropped him like a live grenade the minute the British want him returned.

How I think it would go.

"Oh hey Mr. Bonaparte! Welcome to America!"
"Thank you, thank you, Mr. President. Mind if I live in my house in New Orleans?"
"Oh, sure thing. Some writers and journalists will probably be knocking every so often though."
"That's fine, that's fine."

*The President is handed a note that reads:

Dear America,

Give us that fucking baguette.

Love,

Daddy Britain.

*CIA agents seize Napoleon and send him back to Europe, as the ship is leaving, the President yells out*

"Oh! And thanks for Louisiana!"

Maybe? The British probably want a military incentive to take down the United States, due to the economic and overall profits, (which obviously at this time was still seen as a rogue colony, even after the War of 1812). The British might be able to defeat the Americans but they would have too much on their plate after Napoleons defeat.

Would the British really care too much? A third comeback seems unlikely.

So did a second comeback when Napoleon was trapped on Elba. The British would want to make certain that he could never come back, because even the slightest chance of him making a comeback was too much for them.

There's a book about that, appropriately named "Napoleon in America". I haven't finished it yet, but so far he goes touring the US to see the sights. According to the back cover it gets better because everyone wants him to do something, take Quebec, take Texas, etc.

There's a book about that, appropriately named "Napoleon in America". I haven't finished it yet, but so far he goes touring the US to see the sights. According to the back cover it gets better because everyone wants him to do something, take Quebec, take Texas, etc.

Napoleon leading a force to take parts of the American continent would certainly lead to Britain demanding him in chains. After all, that is basically a Napoleon comeback in the New World.

No doubt it's apples and oranges but both Napoleon's older brother and a nephew spent long years of exile in America.

Joseph Bonaparte, the former "king" of Naples and Sicily, then later Spain, lived in the states from 1817 to 1832. He somehow managed to escape from Europe with a fortune and spent most of his time on his estate in Bordentown, in southern New Jersey.

Lucien Murat, the son of a younger Napoleon sister, made his way to the states in 1825 and married a woman from Philadelphia. He also lived in Bordentown for a bit.

Maybe get Prussia or The Netherlands to ask for him?
And why would the US extradite him simply because Prussia or the Netherlands asked?If the US won't bow to Britain whom they have a significant trade relations with,sure as hell they won't send Boney to Prussia or the Netherlands?His 'crimes' were political in nature,and under all laws,whatever killing he did was under the auspice of him being the head of state of a nation.

There might be more than one european power asking for him - maybe together. I dont know if the USA would want another conflict with Britain so soon after 1812 but im sure that they wouldnt want a conflict with a bunch of European powers.

Actually, I think Napoleon is likely to get bored in America. Far too stable, with mature political institutions and an politically educated populace. What he will likely do is seek opportunity elsewhere after a few months/years in the USA. Plenty of opportunities for a man of his undoubted talent: to my mind the First Mexican Empire presents such an opportunity — he is unlikely to want to become crowned, as that will cause him and Mexico too many problems. But he might serve as Iturbide's most loyal advisor, and heaven knows Iturbide needs all the help he can get.

There might be more than one european power asking for him - maybe together. I dont know if the USA would want another conflict with Britain so soon after 1812 but im sure that they wouldnt want a conflict with a bunch of European powers.
Britain wouldn't fight another war so soon after the Treaty of Portsmouth has been signed.Harboring a political exile,no matter who he is, is hardly grounds for a war.Britain itself was famous for harbouring political refugees of all kinds during this period and beyond.

The US would hand him back.
It wasn't just Britain wanted him, it was the whole of Europe.
There's nothing to gain in keeping him but a lot of ruined foreign relations.

The US would hand him back.
It wasn't just Britain wanted him, it was the whole of Europe.
There's nothing to gain in keeping him but a lot of ruined foreign relations.
On what grounds would the US return him?If it contravenes the laws of the US,it's not going to happen.