AHC: Make the Men's Rights Movement more successful/popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do mean the kind that lobbies for rape laws to be rewritten to be gender-neutral and custody outcomes to be fairer as opposed to the kind which moonlights on pick-up artistry fora and redpill, right?

Well, I suppose the place to start is by having men oppressed as a group at some point in history. Not sure how to make that happen.

Or I guess you could do something to increase paranoia so that men *think* they're being oppressed. I'm not sure where to start, but whatever's driving the current men's rights movement is probably the place to look if that's the path you want to go down.

Yes, I do.
A key step would be in being able to clearly divide these poles of the "movement", which is currently more of a self-identified label, at least as far as the media is concerned.

As for the disadvantages men have / are perceived to have in modern society and the extent to which these are worth correcting with legislative action, before people start pulling out rape, suicide, assault, murder, employment, wage etc. statistics willy-nilly and start calling each other mean names, I'm going to make a tactical retreat.

543fed52268ede434320709d0755ed0f.gif

Not to comment on the issue as a whole, but I have heard that classrooms are in general more suited to girls, while boys do better overall in apprenticeship situations, though I have no idea if that's actually true.

Focus on things where there is room for improvement as oppsoed to see any improvement of women's position as assault on men.

Things like custody, which to my knowledge is where most of these groups started out anyway.

The challenge is with a POD of 1914 to make the Men's Rights movement is more successful and popular than in OTL.

You do mean the kind that lobbies for rape laws to be rewritten to be gender-neutral and custody outcomes to be fairer as opposed to the kind which moonlights on pick-up artistry fora and redpill, right?

Well then I suggest a stronger and broader feminist movement would do the trick.

Rename the Feminist Movement the Gender Equality Movement

Both of these issues seem to have more to do with gender equality rather than 'men's rights'. I mean both of these problems would be better served by a stronger feminist movement than a 'men's rights' may movement because if you want rape laws to be gender neutral you would first have to acknowledge that women are just as capable of raping a man. Many consider this impossible because they believe women to be 'weaker' than men and wouldn't be able to overpower him. While in the case of fairer custody decisions this can construed as a bias towards women as the primary carers of children because they are better 'suited' to care for children.

I consider both issues to problems for both genders and don't think these issues could be solved by a men's rights movement.

Both of these issues seem to have more to do with gender equality rather than 'men's rights'. I mean both of these problems would be better served by a stronger feminist movement than a 'men's rights' may movement because if you want rape laws to be gender neutral you would first have to acknowledge that women are just as capable of raping a man. Many consider this impossible because they believe women to be 'weaker' than men and wouldn't be able to overpower him. While in the case of fairer custody decisions this can construed as a bias towards women as the primary carers of children because they are better 'suited' to care for children.

I consider both issues to problems for both genders and don't think these issues could be solved by a men's rights movement.

The m,ain issue I have with rewriting rape laws is that most of them are men raping women. I'm not saying that bringing up other categories is whataboutism but it's rooted there and has more than few traces of it. It's simialr with false accusations issue. Not jsut whataboutism but not entirely free of it.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Alright, if you really want to take the high road, a movement followng WWI which questions the societal norm where a man is judged entirely by how much he makes. In particular, that there is something wrong or weird with being a stay-at-home dad, or an artist for that matter.

A movement that embraces the idea that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere and which makes common cause with feminism.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
I don't know. If the 70s had really panned out, and that may be reaching.

For example, this guy wrote this book entitled I think, The Hazards of Being Male, where he talked all about high road. Where the typical role of being male is in a small, narrow box, and that's not good for anyone.

Well the problem with the MRM is that it's not really about challenging masculinity or gender roles. "Things suck for men too" is sort of a figleaf, the people that have coalesced around it are largely men with axes to grind against women.

Just have the feminist movement be more successful in getting their important women's issues addressed, to the point where they begin to concentrate on trivial women's issues while ignoring important men's issues. If the feminist movement won't get behind legislation to help men, or sponsor ad campaigns to highlight important men's issues, while spending their time going on about trivial things like manspreading or mansplaining, more men will leave to join groups that actually address their issues.

Congress lets the banks fail in 2008. The Western world is plunged into a situation worse then the Great Depression. The situation destabilizes the world and also causes a massive hole in the work force. You see a return to one parent working if that given the employment situation.

Very tough times in the world where families have little and have to stay together to make ends meet and put food on the table empowers men by in large.

Status
Not open for further replies.