TLIAW: The UK Presidential Election - 2015

uk_presidential_election___2015_by_lordroem-d8ont62.jpg

Oh hello!

Hey Jack.

Are we still doing this again?

I think we have to.

He still sounds like he’s mental.

Yeah, he took that whole Jack Straw thing pretty hard.

Ah, that is a shame.

Anyway, what are we up to at the moment?

It’s a Timeline in a Week, Tom.

Neat idea, although it’s a bit of a tedious choice to do another General Election Nig....what the HELL is that?

What?

That word.

‘Presidential?’

We...we...don’t have Presidents in this Country. Unless it’s the Lord President of the Council...

My God - I think you’ve broken him.

Aye, that - uh - wasn’t what I had in mind.

Very Jacobite...Much Mosley...So EdT...

Yeah, he’s broken.

Sorry about that.

Still, that is what it says, isn’t it?

Yup!

So, it’s the 5th British Presidential Election...

Nope, it’s the ‘UK Presidential Election’

But that’s really clumsy grammar, unless - ah - this is all a quiet pisstake of Americans who don’t understand our electoral system, isn’t it?

Well...

lampshade-hanging_OotS_5519.gif
'

Oh, that’s excellent.

Maybe a little.

How are the flesh carriers doing?

andyoucannotdothatwithoutinfringingontheactofsupremacyandthatdoesnttakeintoaccountthe...build...build...build...constitution....

Tom, come on, how many statutes of Magna Carta am I holding up?

Better start off then.

We should. Anyway, not too long ago, on a miserable winter day in London...

Last edited:
I did not think it was possible to be any more excited than I already am.

And then you referenced OotS.

Gentlemen, I am yours to do with as you please.

ETA: just clocked on to the use of Admiralty Arch - good choice, makes sense as an alt-Premiership location and- WHAT IN THE BLAZES IS THAT ABOMINATION OF A BBC LOGO

Be it Declared and Enacted by this present Parliament and by the Authority of the same, That the People of England, and of all the Dominions and Territories thereunto belonging, are and shall be, and are hereby Constituted, Made, Established, and Confirmed to be a Commonwealth and Free-State: And shall from henceforth be Governed as a Commonwealth and Free-State, by the Supreme Authority of this Nation, The Representatives of the People in Parliament, and by such as they shall appoint and constitute as Officers and Ministers under them for the good of the People, and that without any King or House of Lords.
- Proclamation of the Commonwealth of England
19th May, 1649​

PROLOGUE

Tuesday, 1 December 1992
2:37pm

Elizabeth II was late.

As a general rule, monarchs are never ‘late’; they are always scrupulously on time. That being said, if their subjects wish to arrive early, that is quite often respected and appreciated by the Royal Authorities.

On this occasion, however, it was clear that this legal fiction would not be accepted by at least one of the two people present.

It had been a bitter, fractious couple of days for The Queen. Another set of pernickety letters to The Guardian about the restoration of Windsor Castle had put her in just the wrong frame of mind ahead of her audience with the Prime Minister, and the latest reports from the tabloids had served only to darken her mood yet further. The Mirror had been a particular source of disquiet amongst the Palace Staff, and had been the catalyst for the afternoon’s summit meeting.

A set of doors were opened in front of her, revealing the Drawing Room beyond.

The couple - as they still legally were - were already there, sitting with the same air of icy politeness that results from being forced to be in the same room as someone you dislike intensely.

The Queen paced in, doing all she could to avoid rolling up her sleeves and knocking their respective heads together.

“My thanks to both of you for com...”

Time takes on a strange quality when one trips. For those witnessing it, the victim often seems to do so in slow motion, with arms akimbo and a look of profound desperation. For the fall-ee, the matter passes so rapidly as to render the transition from standing to splayed almost instantaneous. Even Elizabeth II, a woman possessed of the profound dignity that results from a millennium of careful breeding and adopted decorum, was not immune.

A century ago, the incident would have resulted in gasps of horror from the assembled ranks, but in the years separating one monarch from another, attitudes had changed. Besides, there were only two witnesses.

And so, in the White Drawing Room, as The Queen picked herself up with as much dignity as possible, she heard a single, feminine, giggle.

Elizabeth II seethed.​

I've been looking forward to this since Saturday and this is everything I hoped for. Meadow, I'm doing that face you imagine I do.

Hoo boy.

Hey, I can appreciate PoDs within my lifetime, if just about. :D

(Years from now, the above sentence will be used to pinpoint the date of birth of this international man of mystery.)

AndyC

Donor
Ooh!
I think I can guess who the couple are, and therefore a bit about the premise of the PoD.

Consider me already hooked.

Time takes on a strange quality when one trips. For those witnessing it, the victim often seems to do so in slow motion, with arms akimbo and a look of profound desperation. For the fall-ee, the matter passes so rapidly as to render the transition from standing to splayed almost instantaneous. Even Elizabeth II, a woman possessed of the profound dignity that results from a millennium of careful breeding and adopted decorum, was not immune.

At the risk of going overboard with superlatives, this is a really nice bit of writing - there's almost a Pratchettian quality to it (maybe not so much with the humour, but then falling over is inherently funny anyway).

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm rather excited to see what lies ahead. I'm curious which couple it is we're talking about, though...

Well, as the title means clearly "UK", it is likely to guess the monarchy wasn't removed at all. So, I think those elections are for the presidency of the Commonwealth of Nations, or at least I surmise. But I can be wrong in my theory, of course.

At the risk of going overboard with superlatives, this is a really nice bit of writing - there's almost a Pratchettian quality to it (maybe not so much with the humour, but then falling over is inherently funny anyway).

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm rather excited to see what lies ahead. I'm curious which couple it is we're talking about, though...

I suspect Andy is spot on in his guess of the couple. You'll all have to read quite closely, as the format we are using for this one will give a lot away in subtle clues, and people who try to piece together a picture will be rewarded. Or so we hope.

Roem wrote almost all of that section, I just tweaked it - I'm sure he's flattered by your Pratchettian comparison, which I agree with.

The first proper update is coming up tonight, not sure how soon, though. Thanks to everyone who's getting involved.

Well, as the title means clearly "UK", it is likely to guess the monarchy wasn't removed at all. So, I think those elections are for the presidency of the Commonwealth of Nations, or at least I surmise. But I can be wrong in my theory, of course.
Maybe the "President" in the title refers to "Lord President of the Privy Council", which the office of head of government is transferred to? That's tenuous, though. :p