To pull a Bruce Willis: Other comedic actors become action heroes

MrP

Banned
What other actors aside from Bruce Willis, and to a lesser extent Will Smith, could have a mid-career shift from comedic to action-oriented roles?

I'm trying to think of Hugh Grant as the gritty, bestubbled lead in a Die Hard-type franchise...

Idk about action, but I have always had this fantasy of Groucho Marx replacing Frederic March in Seven days in May.

Maybe have Ahnold's first break as a goofy Austrian-foreign exchange student on Happy Days?

John Belushi doesn't overdose, gets healthy and fit, gets a part in Aliens or something?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Eddie Murphy was pretty solid in Beverley Hills Cop I & II, 48 Hours & The Golden Child. Made some really bad script choices after that.

I can see Will Ferrell pulling off a secret agent-type role. Just make sure he doesnt shout and he could be pretty credible, seriously.

There have been quite a few actually - Eddie Murphy and Terry Crews being two I can think of.

The key to a good action hero and a good comedian are the same - they gotta have charisma/ personality or/and screen presence. As long as an actor has one or both, they got a shot.

It's why those action movies staring some dull as dishwater 20-something Tiger Beat model usually tank, while Liam Neeson or Colin Firth can credibly sell themselves as action heroes.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
There have been quite a few actually - Eddie Murphy and Terry Crews being two I can think of.

The key to a good action hero and a good comedian are the same - they gotta have charisma/ personality or/and screen presence. As long as an actor has one or both, they got a shot.

It's why those action movies staring some dull as dishwater 20-something Tiger Beat model usually tank, while Liam Neeson or Colin Firth can credibly sell themselves as action heroes.

Is Tiger Beat still a thing?:confused:

:p

Tom Hanks kind of did it with Private Ryan. Although I put him in the category below.

Usually the comedians go for the drama. Jim Carey - Truman Show, Bill Murry - Lost in Translation, Steve Martin a few times that I am now forgetting, Adam Sandler in a few movies, Ben Stiller in Permanent Midnight and others, Robin Williams on multiple occasions, and Hanks as said above.

My pet theory is comedians start out as people who want attention (middle child syndrome?) and get it from being funny. Then they reach a point in life where they want to be taken seriously so they go for Oscars etc. The serious actors already were taken seriously so they go for fun, relatively easy work of action or comedy - DeNiro (analyze this), Nielson, Bridges, Neeson, etc.

Idk about action, but I have always had this fantasy of Groucho Marx replacing Frederic March in Seven days in May.

Maybe have Ahnold's first break as a goofy Austrian-foreign exchange student on Happy Days?

John Belushi doesn't overdose, gets healthy and fit, gets a part in Aliens or something?

That John Belushi premise sounds amazing