WI: Caesar Killed at Alesia?

What if Caesar was killed at Alesia? There were many chances where he could have died but, for the sake of the argument, let's say he died on October 2nd. He attempts to stop Vercassivellaunos's attack and gets killed in the process, what happens next?

Last edited:
Vercingetorix chases the Romans out of Gaul, after that, two things can happen:

1. The Senate sends someone else, Pompey maybe, to bend the Gauls over the knee and spank them hard. Gauls stay united due to the external threat.

2. The Senate thinks it's had enough, they withdraw from Gaul. Vercingetorix's Kingdom probably dies with him, when his tyrannical behavior catches up to him.

Vercingetorix chases the Romans out of Gaul, after that, two things can happen:

1. The Senate sends someone else, Pompey maybe, to bend the Gauls over the knee and spank them hard. Gauls stay united due to the external threat, or not.

2. The Senate thinks it's had enough, they withdraw from Gaul but the Narbonensis. Vercingetorix's Kingdom probably dies with him, when his tyrannical behavior catches up to him.

Fixed it for you.

Actually IIRC we already discussed this topic last week, didn't we?

What if Caesar was killed at Alesia? There were many chances where he could have died but, for the sake of the argument, let's say he died on October 2nd. He attempts to stop Vercassivellaunos's attack and gets killed in the process, what happens next?

Well, at this stage, the romans have won Alesia. So you have a victorious roman army but its imperator is dead.

However the campaign is not over : Gaul is not wholly pacified yet. It took all the year 51 and a hard campaign to crush resistance against Rome.

The point is who will succeed Caesar.

It would be logical for Pompey to do all he can to get this new extraordinary command. Caesar was then still his political ally, and Pompey''s interest is to take back as much of Caesar's party as he can.

Because at this stage, Caesar's death means the end of what was only the beginning of a caesarian party. Even more than Crassus' death was quite disruptive and meant the end of his power and most of his followers turned to other patrons instead of remaining followers of his surviving son Marcus.

I don't expect Pompey to tolerate that Domitius Ahenobarbus obtain the gaulish command. Pompey could object to his law demanding a 5 year delay between consulship and proconsular command.

I don't expect Pompey to tolerate that Domitius Ahenobarbus obtain the gaulish command. Pompey could object to his law demanding a 5 year delay between consulship and proconsular command.
I really think we're at a serious impasse here. Pompey is sole consul (well, I believe now Metellus was serving alongside him), yet the Catonians are going to do everything in their power to, if not give Ahenobarbus the go, then at least not let Pompey have it. You might have to see Pompey settle for some sort of compromise. Perhaps he pushes for some sort of special decree that grants the remaining 2 years of Caesar's command to Labienus? I know Labienus was too junior at this time to realistically get the nod, but he's a Pompeian partisan, he's Caesar's #2 man in Gaul, and he'd only be getting a dispensation to wrap things up in Gaul and come home. It might be acceptable to the Catonians because it denies Pompey the glory of finishing the war in Gaul and instead simply allows a lesser political figure like Labienus wrap things up without much glory for him to be had either. It may be acceptable to Pompey because Labienus is his partisan, and a compromise like this might be what finally brings his opponents not with Catonians back to his side.

Gallic unity breaks down as Vercingetorix, Astérix and Obélix each claim the throne, but ultimately none can win the loyalty of Panoramix, the kingmaker. He surprises everyone by backing the claim of Assurancetourix, whose reign leads to the invention of operatic singing 1,600 years before OTL. :D